IGNORED

Good controller for Altirra emulation

Max_Chatsworth

I'm going to participate in the HSC this year and I don't yet have the means to download the games for my 800XL until I get my Fujinet, so I'll be stuck using Altirra for now.  Can someone recommend a controller that works well with it for my PC?

Thanks. 

Hey there,

You might try this one:

https://www.microcenter.com/product/627549/hyperkin-“trooper-ii-premium-atari-2600-style-wired-usb-controller-for-pc-mac-raspberry-pi-retro-pie-linux-joystick

or get a 2600daptor and use a real Atari stick :http://www.2600-daptor.com/

Both work great with Altirra!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Tifany said:

Hey there,

You might try this one:

https://www.microcenter.com/product/627549/hyperkin-“trooper-ii-premium-atari-2600-style-wired-usb-controller-for-pc-mac-raspberry-pi-retro-pie-linux-joystick

or get a 2600daptor and use a real Atari stick :http://www.2600-daptor.com/

Both work great with Altirra!

Thanks!   I just looked and my local Micro Center has several of that first controller in stock!  

The 2600daptor seems pretty slick as well.  I only currently have 2 of the Epyx 500XJ controllers that I use with my real 400 and 800XL hardware(barely as time permits :(  )

I do consider the 500XJ the greatest Atari controller of the time, however.  

Have you noticed ANY difference it play/feel/timing between using the USB type or adapter/real controller setup?

Thanks!

I really havent noticed any kind of lad with either usb adaptor/controller - if there is any at all it is extremely small. I think you'd be happy with the Trooper II - its a bit looser than an actual Atari stick, but you adapt quickly!

1 minute ago, x=usr(1536) said:

I'll second this.  If you have a stick you like that you're using with physical hardware, it should work just fine for emulation.

I do love the Epyx joysticks in general. Unfortunately, the 2 I have are pretty sloppy and not that responsive any more.    I'll probably try both options as that Micro Center joystick is only like 15 bucks. 
Thanks!

• Like 1

Just now, Class316 said:

Not the answer you're looking for, but I use a PS3 pad for my emulation except Nintendo Wii.

I used to use and old Xbox controller(the USB ones that were windows compatible as well), but it wasn't ideal with the little stick/thumb pad. 

5 minutes ago, Max_Chatsworth said:

I do love the Epyx joysticks in general. Unfortunately, the 2 I have are pretty sloppy and not that responsive any more.    I'll probably try both options as that Micro Center joystick is only like 15 bucks. 
Thanks!

I'm not overly-familiar with Epyx' sticks, but have you looked into rebuilding / refurbishing them?  Could be as simple as replacing a couple of springs; could be more involved.  Either way, can't hurt to check.

Edited by x=usr(1536)

Just now, x=usr(1536) said:

I'm not overly-familiar with Epyx' sticks, but have you looked into rebuilding / refurbishing them?  Could be as simple as replacing a couple of springs; could be more involved.  Either way, can't hurt to check.

Not familiar with the 500XJ joysticks?!?! 

Dead Bill Murray GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Max_Chatsworth said:

Not familiar with the 500XJ joysticks?!?!

Oh, OK, yep.  I've seen those, but remember them as the Konix Speedking.

The Speedking could have been either a licence-built or copied version of the 500XJ; the history isn't really clear to me.  Wouldn't surprise me if Epyx had them for North America with Konix taking Europe, though, if they were licenced.

• Thanks 1

Not really a controller per se, but I bought these adapter cable years ago and I can use any old 2600/A8/ST joystick I want. I'm fairly certain that it doesn't work with paddles or driving controllers, but it works great with joysticks. Now that I'm back into real hardware, I don't use them nearly as much, but they're nice for the occasional Altirra session.

I know retro-bit is still in business, but I'm fairly certain these have been out of production for a few years. Sadly ebay is probably the only place you'd find them now. Like @Tifany suggested though, the 2600-dapter is a great choice as I think it does work with all controllers, not just joysticks. I'm considering one of those myself.

IMG-4643b.thumb.jpg.cfaae186f2a7626c5aea49e5b470023d.jpg

15 minutes ago, bfollowell said:

Not really a controller per se, but I bought these adapter cable years ago and I can use any old 2600/A8/ST joystick I want. I'm fairly certain that it doesn't work with paddles or driving controllers, but it works great with joysticks. Now that I'm back into real hardware, I don't use them nearly as much, but they're nice for the occasional Altirra session.

I know retro-bit is still in business, but I'm fairly certain these have been out of production for a few years. Sadly ebay is probably the only place you'd find them now. Like @Tifany suggested though, the 2600-dapter is a great choice as I think it does work with all controllers, not just joysticks. I'm considering one of those myself.

IMG-4643b.thumb.jpg.cfaae186f2a7626c5aea49e5b470023d.jpg

Excellent information..thanks!  I think my long term is to get the 2600-dapter, but with the controller that is on sale at Micro Center that was also suggested for only 15 bucks I'll probably pick that up this weekend for the quick fix and then order the 2600-dapter.  

• 1 month later...