IGNORED

Dev Carts...

Andrew Davie

Over the years I've managed to collect a small hoard of "development" carts for the '2600.

By that, I mean hardware which can be used for development.

The supercharger, of course.

Then there's my prototype Krokodil Cart

And the UnoCart

And of course the lovely PlusCart

What am I missing?

I know for sure the Cuttle Cart. I'm starting to become obsessed with finding one. Trade, anyone?

Probably the Harmony Cart should be in that list too...

What have I missed?

I know I must have posted this somewhere before...couldn't find it with a quick search.

On 1/19/2021 at 11:02 AM, -^CrossBow^- said:

Doesn't CPUWIZ have a Dev cart he made that some devs have used? I don't know the specifics but I thought there was one?

You are thinking of the 7800 and that cart does not support 2600.

• Like 1

Looks like I need a Harmony Encore Cart for some dev/testing I'm doing on my Chess project.

So, if you have one you'd like to trade/sell.. hit me up.  I'll look for a 2nd hand one first, but the "new" price is extremely reasonable so I'll go that route in a week or two, if I need to.

When I did the research for my talk a couple of years ago, I found an advertisement for development system that was an expansion cart for the Apple II that had a daughterboard that would go into the 2600. But doing a quick search now, I couldn't find any of those stuff any more.

Edit: d'oh! I should click on the links of the other posts before posting myself. The Frob is most probably the dev-system I've seen a couple of years ago, though I only found an advertisement back then.

Edited by SvOlli

On 1/20/2021 at 6:27 PM, Andrew Davie said:

Yes, probably. Ta for that one!

I can confirm that, Dave Akers is an old colleague of mine, he told me he used his MagiCard (blue label) for coding at home (which I sold for him 15+ years ago, with everything, including a personal letter of the background).  I think Cody got it back in the day.

He did Star Strike and Bump'N'Jump BITD.

Heh, I should check my copies and see if he signed them, forgot. ?

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Wickeycolumbus said:

There's also this open source EPROM emulator, which can be used with any EPROM board.  Emulates 2716 -27512 (2k-64k) and what ever RAM or bankswitching your board has. You can upload a new ROM in a few seconds and it will automatically reset the target when the new image is ready.

That is precisely what I was using, when I worked on Space Taxi for the 5200.  I had 5 level's, identical to the C64 running, now I don't even remember why I abandoned it, was so long ago.

On 1/23/2021 at 12:28 AM, CPUWIZ said:

I can confirm that, Dave Akers is an old colleague of mine, he told me he used his MagiCard (blue label) for coding at home (which I sold for him 15+ years ago, with everything, including a personal letter of the background). 

Wow! I am shocked that anyone had the patience to actually use the MagiCard for a non-trivial project. That is amazing talent. 

I looked at the manual (online), and just shuddered. I find assembly language difficult to use; I cannot imagine manually entering hex codes byte-by-byte.