IGNORED

Books on TMS9900 hardware design?

cbmeeks

I've been looking for a "how to build a TMS9900 based computer" book for a while but can't seem to find anything.

I have a couple PDF's but would love original prints.  One I have is "how-to-build-your-own-working-16-bit-microcomputer.pdf".

Any others that you recommend?

Thanks

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cbmeeks said:

I've been looking for a "how to build a TMS9900 based computer" book for a while but can't seem to find anything.

I have a couple PDF's but would love original prints.  One I have is "how-to-build-your-own-working-16-bit-microcomputer.pdf".

Any others that you recommend?

Thanks

That's the only one I've ever seen that wasn't from TI (their 9900 System Design Handbook).

TMS 9900 Family System Development Manual (Application Report) (https://archive.org/details/bitsavers_tiTMS9900MstemDevelopmentManual1977_4482262/mode/2up). Contains many of the diagrams used in the "how-to-build-your-own-working-16-bit-microcomputer.pdf" book.

9900 Family Systems Design and Data Book. A hefty tome, but most of it covered in the other 9900 data books.

TM 990/100M User's Guide (www.bitsavers.org\components\ti\TMS9900\tm990-100\1602000-9701_TM990_100M_Users_Guide_Dec78.pdf). This is a manual for a single board computer which contains full schematics and circuit descriptions. May be of interest. Hard copies for this or the /101 module come up on eBay occasionally.

Edited by Stuart

Here is a link for the book Stuart mentioned:

9900 Family Systems Design and Databook

http://ftp.whtech.com/datasheets and manuals/Datasheets - TI/9900-FamilySystemsDesign-1stEdition

Stuart has omitted his own website, which documents his builds of 9900 systems!

http://www.stuartconner.me.uk/

And take a look at the documentation for:

Powertran Cortex http://www.powertrancortex.com/

Also

990/189 University Board 500-page Tutorial Manual - can't find this online, can't find my paper copy.
Contains hardware exercises, that the 990/189 users guide does not have.

• Like 1

Sweet.  I love finding deals like that.  I bought an almost mint copy of Microprocessor Systems Design 68000 Hardware a while back for about $8 or so.  Many times on eBay, you will see a vintage book for $60 or more but if you look, you can sometimes find listings that don't have a picture and you just have to trust the book is in good shape.  It's really crazy how expensive they can get.

29 minutes ago, cbmeeks said:

Nice one.  Consider yourself lucky.  I can't find that book for anything less than a small fortune (for such an old/specific computer book).

It's a good book to help you understand the general architecture of 9900-based systems, but it's definitely not a step by step cookbook for building your own computer from scratch. I think the title is a little misleading...

As for the asking price out there, it's simply a question of supply. Most people who own these kind of books will not separate from them at any price, myself included :) On the other hand, few will be willing to shell out ridiculous amounts of money to acquire them given that they are mostly historical curiosities for most practical purposes.

I have these books on ebay.

From The Engineering Staff of Texas Instruments Inc Semiconductor Group & Learning Center

6 Books;

9900 Family Systems Design and Data Book 1st Edition ISBN 0-89512-026-7

9900 Family Software TM 990 Power Basic Reference Manual Microprocessor Series 1978

TM 990 Microcomputer Handbook Microprocessor Series July 1979

TM 990 Microcomputer Handbook April 1977 with 18 pages

TMS 9911 Direct Memory Access Controller May 1978 with 39 pages

TMS 9940 16-Bit Microcomputer Data Manual July 1978 with 39 pages

On 1/24/2021 at 3:38 PM, Chrisspo442 said:

I have these books on ebay.

From The Engineering Staff of Texas Instruments Inc Semiconductor Group & Learning Center

6 Books;

9900 Family Systems Design and Data Book 1st Edition ISBN 0-89512-026-7

9900 Family Software TM 990 Power Basic Reference Manual Microprocessor Series 1978

TM 990 Microcomputer Handbook Microprocessor Series July 1979

TM 990 Microcomputer Handbook April 1977 with 18 pages

TMS 9911 Direct Memory Access Controller May 1978 with 39 pages

TMS 9940 16-Bit Microcomputer Data Manual July 1978 with 39 pages

I found those 6 books....asking more than I can spend right now.  ?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/6-Book-Lot-TI-9900-Family-Systems-Design-Data-Book/324348169936?hash=item4b84a84ed0:g:YfUAAOSwK8Nflcg2

Edited by cbmeeks

49 minutes ago, cbmeeks said:

Only the first book is relevant to you, and you can read it on BitSavers.org

I had a paperback copy, but it has fallen apart. I regret not buying the hardback copy that came up here.