Charles Darwin

Multi Boot Loader for USB/eMMC

Posted (edited)
On 6/12/2021 at 4:33 PM, 0_obeWAN said:

I usually do it the other way around.
- I install Windows on USB and I duplicate on the internal M.2 card, which erases it completely.
- I reduce the Windows partition and create my other partitions to the desired size.
- In each of the partitions I restore a system that I have previously backed up with DiskGenius in .pmf format that restore filesystem to

So if I were you, I would backup the Batocera and Ubuntu partitions. And I would transfer Windows to M.2 internal + restore the backups

Ok, I now have Windows and Batocera installed on the M.2 and working great.  For the life of me though, I can't figure out how to get Ubuntu to install entirely on the M.2 card.  When installing, I created a 512MB EFI system partition on /dev/sda6 and told the installer to place the boot loader (grub) on that partition - but for some reason it installs the boot loader on the system partition.  Any idea on how to get around this?  Sorry for the poor picture quality, my phone hates taking pictures of the TV.

If I re-flash the Atari - the bootloader for Ubuntu goes away... which is not exactly desirable.

IMG_6437.jpg

IMG_5535.JPG

Edited by moonchilddave

23 hours ago, moonchilddave said:

Ok, I now have Windows and Batocera installed on the M.2 and working great. 

Hello,

At this point my method

In Windows disk manageur I reduce Windows primary partition with size you want for Ubuntu

I create a new partition, don' t have to format

In Ubuntu find your partiton, create, format EXT4 with "\" for partition

For Grub, sorry I forget  the name of partition in Linux but this is the first EFI partition on eMMC (This partition serves no other purpose than Grub, not for Apertis)

With rEFInd VCS or Grub VCS Multi boot loader you can delete Grub for Ubuntu BUT You don't see Atari logo during start, only texte

To keep logo indicate to rEFInd VCS or Grub VCS to point bootx64.efi

23 hours ago, moonchilddave said:

If I re-flash the Atari - the bootloader for Ubuntu goes away... which is not exactly desirable.

IMG_5535.JPG

No :( Because your Grub is on first partition on eMMC is efi(0) on picture

Restauration disk don't format this first partition I believe, verify but I think it doesn't format it

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, 0_obeWAN said:

No :( Because your Grub is on first partition on eMMC is efi(0) on picture

Restauration disk don't format this first partition I believe, verify but I think it doesn't format it

I can confirm that if you use the flasher provided by Atari here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/17TeJMIZcLIsGMJEHlQAxOb_YdIuX4GoL4bvBExAudWU/ it does indeed erase the Ubuntu/grub boot loader installed on efi(0).  I'm thinking that what I want to do is back that partition up and restore it to the M.2 drive.  Just wanted others who may be reading to be aware of this catch, as it might save them some time and frustration. 

So I copied the contents of efi(0) to the EFI partition I created on M.2 drive and it now works as expected... without losing the Atari logo on boot.

Edited by moonchilddave
  • Like 1

So now I'm running into an issue with using Disk Genius to copy the rEFInd files to the efi(1) & efi(2) partitions.

Do you need the paid version to copy?  I tried dragging the EFI folder to both partitions but nothing happens.  The partitions look like they are locked or something.

12 minutes ago, moonchilddave said:

So now I'm running into an issue with using Disk Genius to copy the rEFInd files to the efi(1) & efi(2) partitions.

Do you need the paid version to copy?  I tried dragging the EFI folder to both partitions but nothing happens.  The partitions look like they are locked or something.

Does you eMMC isn't read only or offline ? It works with free version I just try

image.thumb.png.19d27c26585a3d568ab6e8d677e148eb.png

image.thumb.png.ee72183ee6987e97c1f84e4ca7f58b86.png

image.thumb.png.17efb0323b8402d829e97b4cf54bb3b1.png

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, 0_obeWAN said:

Does you eMMC isn't read only or offline ? It works with free version I just try

image.thumb.png.19d27c26585a3d568ab6e8d677e148eb.png

image.thumb.png.ee72183ee6987e97c1f84e4ca7f58b86.png

image.thumb.png.17efb0323b8402d829e97b4cf54bb3b1.png

It looks locked to me...

414D29CE-947B-4AA6-8ABD-FA3124A24B94.jpeg

1 hour ago, moonchilddave said:

Ok, I'm an idiot, missed the part about taking the drive online.  Got it up now, but why so many multiple choices?

0DD4E994-871B-4B73-9885-6F2C3CE7FCA4.jpeg

You have to try one by one choose good ones and mask those you don't need (Supp and confirm only mask)

Eatch one icons point to an .efi file or bootable Linux image 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, 0_obeWAN said:

You have to try one by one choose good ones and mask those you don't need (Supp and confirm only mask)

Eatch one icons point to an .efi file or bootable Linux image 

I found hitting DEL (not Delete) over an icon pops up a dialog to hide it.  Confirm, and all is great!  Thanks for all your help!!!

Edited by moonchilddave
  • Like 1

I want my VCS to boot into my ubuntu installation on my m.2. SSD by default.   I thought I could do this in BIOS, but I don't see a way to permanently change the boot order in BIOS.  

I put reFind on a USB flashdrive,  and that does the trick, but I'd like to do it without a USB drive.

to summarize this thread, is the best practice to install refind on both of the VCS eMMC partitions?   Or is there something else I should try?

24 minutes ago, zzip said:

to summarize this thread, is the best practice to install refind on both of the VCS eMMC partitions?   Or is there something else I should try?

If the UEFi starts on the eMMC, there is no choice but to copy rEFInd to both partitions of the eMMC.

22 hours ago, 0_obeWAN said:

If the UEFi starts on the eMMC, there is no choice but to copy rEFInd to both partitions of the eMMC.

What about secure boot?  One of my fears is that Atari releases an update that updates the bios, reenables Secure Boot and changes the password again?   Looks like according to this thread reFind won't work with Secure Boot?   But the refind docs do have some instructions on how to work with secure boot

21 hours ago, zzip said:

What about secure boot?  One of my fears is that Atari releases an update that updates the bios, reenables Secure Boot and changes the password again?   Looks like according to this thread reFind won't work with Secure Boot?   But the refind docs do have some instructions on how to work with secure boot

I hope Atari will not make the mistake of blocking the bios with a new password. I think it would create a lot of disappointment in their community.

If they do this, they won't be able to counter Grub2 which is native to Ubuntu and therefore supported by Atari.

However, this would mean not being able to run Batocera anymore, which would be a tragedy for me, which is why I don't update my consoles anymore, I don't want to run that risk.

For my part I don't use the Atari OS anymore, I'm waiting for an alternative (which may never come) because as it is and to remain polite the VCS Dashboard is really "minimalist" and sticks to the announced specifications, not more :(

The more time passes and the more my disappointment grows 

Edited by 0_obeWAN
Modify for reply (I forget to reply)
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, 0_obeWAN said:

I hope Atari will not make the mistake of blocking the bios with a new password. I think it would create a lot of disappointment in their community.

If they do this, they won't be able to counter Grub2 which is native to Ubuntu and therefore supported by Atari.

However, this would mean not being able to run Batocera anymore, which would be a tragedy for me, which is why I don't update my consoles anymore, I don't want to run that risk.

For my part I don't use the Atari OS anymore, I'm waiting for an alternative (which may never come) because as it is and to remain polite the VCS Dashboard is really "minimalist" and sticks to the announced specifications, not more :(

The more time passes and the more my disappointment grows 

If they change the password, then I'm sure it's only a matter of time until somebody finds the new one.   It's happened a few times already.

But I have a secure-boot compatible ubuntu, and I don't want the boot loader to break if they reenabled secure boot,  so sounds like Grub2 would be a better choice than refind?

I don't really plan to use Atari OS much either

On 3/17/2021 at 5:28 PM, 0_obeWAN said:

[ATARI VCS 800] USB Multi boot Grub2 VCS 

I installed this to a USB device.   Looks great!  Only problem is it is defaulting to the Atari OS, and I want it to default to my Ubuntu installation.   I looked at the config file, but I'm not quite sure how to force this?

23 hours ago, zzip said:

I installed this to a USB device.   Looks great!  Only problem is it is defaulting to the Atari OS, and I want it to default to my Ubuntu installation.   I looked at the config file, but I'm not quite sure how to force this?

Actually I figured this out, I was looking at the wrong part of the config file.

• Like 1