IGNORED

Atari 8-bit baseball Games

bbking67

Before I got my 800XL, I had an Intellivision.  Now many people know that the Mattel console had some very good sports games and I played the crap out of Intellivision Baseball.  When I got the 800XL, there are a number of games and I still play some of them to this day!

HardBall! - just a great fun baseball game and I played thousands of two player games for this one.  Its underrated and super fun.  I love the fact that this was eventually made into a cartridge!  I only had the diskette version in the "album style" case.  I recall really getting to know the whimsical player names and you really got to know their abilities and quirks!  It was almost like they had personalities.

MicroLeague Baseball - weird but fun game which is really more of a managerial simulation.  The quirky Apple graphics (it must be an Apple II port) are good and the game is fun, but you really do need the key chart.  I always played this one solo and it was fun.  There were some expansion disks, but I don't recall having those back in the day (I'll have to check my originals--pretty sure I just had the main game).  Still play it occasionally to current day!

Starleague Baseball - This one is by gamestar and it has fairly good graphics.  The diamond is slightly askew from the Intellivision game, and gameplay is fun!  I remember seeing advertisements for this game in Electronic Games magazine in 1983 and it just looked so sophisticated to me at the time!

RealSports Baseball - this might have been one of those 5200 conversions, but while I remember the game, I don't recall having played it much.  The graphics sure looks spectacular!  Anyone else have a perspective on this one?

Now I checked on Atarimania and there are a bunch of other baseball games... I was a baseball fanatic as a teen, so if I knew about them (or had access to them) I would have tried them.  Are there any others worth getting into?

I see:

Computer baseball

IQ Baseball

Baseball (several different games with this name)

Major League Baseball

All Star baseball

Baseball (Sears, Inhome, Aim)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, bbking67 said:

Starleague Baseball - This one is by gamestar and it has fairly good graphics.  The diamond is slightly askew from the Intellivision game, and gameplay is fun!  I remember seeing advertisements for this game in Electronic Games magazine in 1983 and it just looked so sophisticated to me at the time!

I saw those same ads, and thought the graphics looked amazing!  I never owned the games, but probably doesn't look quite as good fool screen as it does in a small magazine screenshot. 

41 minutes ago, bbking67 said:

HardBall! - just a great fun baseball game and I played thousands of two player games for this one.  Its underrated and super fun.  I love the fact that this was eventually made into a cartridge!  I only had the diskette version in the "album style" case.  I recall really getting to know the whimsical player names and you really got to know their abilities and quirks!  It was almost like they had personalities.

This is the only one I actually had, and played it a ton.   It was really well done.

• Like 2