IGNORED

Stupid Geneve 9640 questions.

KG7PFS

Rompage mode, which can only be "activated" while in GPL mode when you are emulating the TI-99/4A, maps out the Geneve master DSR so that you are actually using the DSR's on the cards instead.  Thus, you can access TIPI and all its capabilities, accessing the Myarc HFDC results in using a device name of WDS instead of HDS, etc.  There are some card DSR's that are NOT compatible with the Geneve, thus that is why the Geneve master DSR is the preferred route to go, and thus why there has been significant effort the past couple of months to add full TIPI functionality to the Geneve master DSR.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, GDMike said:

I'll probably use the tipi mouse if  the Geneve gets to the point to start working with the tipi..

Or try to program the mouse, if it's possible in MDOS, or ...

It is possible to program the mouse from MDOS as I have some demo code that did not reach full functionality to do it using a new TIPI XOP.  It is not ready to release and I have not visited the code since early last year.  I will tell you at this point, it is easier to use the Geneve bus mouse for MDOS mode as everything is very well documented and there are plenty of examples.

I can tell you at this point in time, for you, if you wanted to use a Geneve mouse, the bus mouse route for a MDOS program would be simpler for you as the tools and example code is already out there for access.  If you were to write your own MDOS TIPI mouse code, I can tell you that you are in for a challenge.

Now, if you were going to go the 4A route for programming, then Matt has a good information for accessing the TIPI mouse which gives you a good foundatioin.  

Nothing says you can't have two mice on your system.

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
On 1/21/2021 at 4:19 AM, KG7PFS said:

It sounds like it to me too. I don't like emulators, and I won't involve a P.C. in the classic network. I really like the old "TV, tape disk and cartridge" home  computers, and the big 4 (I require 4) from the early 80's are the CoCo 2, Atari something, C64, and ti 99/4a. I was hoping for a 1985-86 version of the 99/4a, like the C128 etc. The Geneve *sounds* (so far) more like an "Amiga equivalent" (like Amiga, Atari ST, Archimedes, etc.) with very little native software. I am probably wrong about software, but

Probably not what I'm looking for right now, but considering it's strengths, I really wish it was better known.

Well, it's not an emulator in the traditional sense. Remember, it still runs on a 99xx CPU and with all the other hardware for the TI/99, such as the HFDC or RAMdisks, which were developed before the 9640, RS232 card, real floppy drives, etc.

What it does however, is to enter a special TI mode, that is - it sets aside a portion of RAM (needs to be configured beforehand in AUTOEXEC with the TIMODE command), and then by loading the GPL - Graphics Programming Language developed for the TI - it runs pretty much as a native TI/99.

So it's not like running say, an Amiga emulator on a PC, which has to translate everything, emulate all the hardware, etc.

If it were me, I'd try to get a hold on both of them. I started out with the TI/99 myself back in the 80's but haven't used it at all except for cartridge dumping, once I got the Geneve. It's far superior in almost every way and a lot more fun, I think.

Another thing is - the TI/99 may be exotic these days, but I think I can say with confidence the Geneve is even more exotic. :-D 

Edited by Brufnus
addition
  • Like 4