IGNORED

TI-99/4A - Hookups for a good time! ;)

Omega-TI

Over the years there have been some electronic projects developed for the TI-99/4A.  Some of these projects are massive in scale, like the TIPI, so beyond the capabilities of most here.  Then there have been some simple projects, like Vorticon's model rocket launcher for the TI.

I'd like this thread to become a combination repository for projects, and a place to hookup, discuss and even make some electronic projects that can interface with the TI in "ONE WAY OR ANOTHER".   And in the hope of more active participation, I'm asking the electronics engineers here to "please dumb it down a little" so others not at your level, or just starting out can feel free to get their hands dirty, learn and build along with us.

So, to hopefully get the ball started, does anyone have an idea for a low to moderately priced project?

I'm short of ideas at the moment, but it occurs to me, one practical or useful project could be a board that plugs into the UberGROM with a temperature sensor or possibly even with a barometric and humidity sensor that works with a program on the 49F040.  It could all fit inside of a special 3D printed case.  I bet many of you have some old tech like this hanging on your wall at home.  It might be kinda of neat to have the TI do it!  I bet it could be done on a spare bare bones TI you have hanging around the house.

320152789_OldStyle.thumb.PNG.495d6e2417e94c2caed150bfc1a53422.PNG

Edited by Omega-TI

1 hour ago, Omega-TI said:

I'm short of ideas at the moment, but it occurs to me, one practical or useful project could be a board that plugs into the UberGROM with a temperature sensor or possibly even with a barometric and humidity sensor that works with a program on the 49F040.  It could all fit inside of a special 3D printed case.  I bet many of you have some old tech like this hanging on your wall at home.  It might be kinda of neat to have the TI do it!  I bet it could be done on a spare bare bones TI you have hanging around the house.

320152789_OldStyle.thumb.PNG.495d6e2417e94c2caed150bfc1a53422.PNG

I have another option, do I get to go twice?

How's about supporting a "PLAYTI DAY"

Each day, someone, picks an alphabetical listed game,

Introduces the game, and participants play,run,use, critique and score the results on a tipi site.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Omega-TI said:

Already have that, I'm thinking more of an interface, diagnostics device, or something else?

Ok, for real this time. We need to make a TI console tester circuit. Leaving a board intact, no power and using your pico cucumber sorter, pinout chips add power and test. .no, maybe??

Can logic and memory chips test in circuit by just adding power and injecting signals?

Edited by GDMike
  • Like 1

It's not networked, so it needs to plug into a USB port somewhere.

While they say it will run MicroPython just fine, this is not in the same class as a Pi. The Cortex M0 133 MHz is a very nice baby brother to the Gigahertz range quad-core Cortex A7 in the Pi. It's not going to run the same Linux as the Pi.

Cortex M0 is very nice, but you're more likely to program to the bare metal in C, or use Python.

So, not a great fit for the TiPi, where cheap Pi Zero is already tested.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, FarmerPotato said:

It's not networked, so it needs to plug into a USB port somewhere.

While they say it will run MicroPython just fine, this is not in the same class as a Pi. The Cortex M0 133 MHz is a very nice baby brother to the Gigahertz range quad-core Cortex A7 in the Pi. It's not going to run the same Linux as the Pi.

Cortex M0 is very nice, but you're more likely to program to the bare metal in C, or use Python.

So, not a great fit for the TiPi, where cheap Pi Zero is already tested.

My ideas are always blown away First...geees:)

Edited by GDMike

2 minutes ago, GDMike said:

Can logic and memory chips test in circuit by just adding power and injecting signals?

No, because once you touch the power and ground, the other chips come on too.

But sure, you could build a chip tester box around this Pico. That might previously have been a good fit for a Arduini ProMini ($3 board about the size of the Pico, 2 square inches)

1 minute ago, FarmerPotato said:

No, because once you touch the power and ground, the other chips come on too.

But sure, you could build a chip tester box around this Pico. That might previously have been a good fit for a Arduini ProMini ($3 board about the size of the Pico, 2 square inches)

Outta the PEB of shame

Edited by GDMike

3 minutes ago, GDMike said:

Hmm we need a video Chip tester, ram tester, but I think that just got blown outta the water, be nice to have a peb card tester..?? Whatever that means..

I guess check for address, power..

Oooh, does RXB do that too?

Now that you bring it up, this board has similar specs to the little board I use to test the V9958 chip and verify its RAM!

I mean it would be a good start to making a tester, the kind where you de-solder or pull a chip first, then drop it in a ZIF socket to be tested.

Writing tests in Python would be nice. That would be practical for the 9918, 4116 RAM chips, 9901s.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, FarmerPotato said:

Now that you bring it up, this board has similar specs to the little board I use to test the V9958 chip and verify its RAM!

I mean it would be a good start to making a tester, the kind where you de-solder or pull a chip first, then drop it in a ZIF socket to be tested.

Writing tests in Python would be nice. That would be practical for the 9918, 4116 RAM chips, 9901s.

And throw a prom test code on it to test with .oooh... might be asking way to much.

But this would be a thing I need

Edited by GDMike

It needs micropython to code. 

And, I haven't gotten 9900 assy down yet.

Matt.....? Do you need something to do.

?

Btw, speaking of coding 9900 stuff, can someone point out a pdf that tells a better story on how DSR works and has some fine examples of WRITING a file out with a PAB in assy.

I'm using a couple books, ea manual shows a fine example of READING a file that doesn't exist, and learning assembly does the same thing.

Ty in advance