IGNORED

ATARI VCS meets Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Graphics

andymanone

Hi guys,

like promised, here is my first successful PoC, connecting a NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB to the ATARI VCS ?.

The monitor is directly connectet to the HDMI GTX Port and it works fine and for the very first test, 

better than accepted ?.)

I´ve tested it with a PALIT KalmX GTX 1050 TI 4GB and a Gigabyte Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, which I just had at hand,

but it should works of course with other/newer PCIe cards too.

Each graphic cards are properly recognized at boot time and works well, as far as I can see....

(See some Screenshot attached)

Cheers,

andY

1611244105205.JPEG

1611244105508.JPEG

1611244105892.JPEG

1611244106090.JPEG

1611244172996.JPEG

1611244205663.JPEG

CPU-Z GTX1060.JPG

Speccy GTX1060 6GB mark .JPG

Windows Device Manager GTX1060 6GB mark.JPG

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

Just to make sure I understand what I am looking at here - am I seeing a cable from the connector used for the WiFi card going to the video card? I'm assuming that's a PCI-e slot. But with a WiFi card, I can't imagine it would need anything better than x1 bandwidth. And yet for the video card, I'd expect x16 would be required. How much bandwidth does it have?

I am suddenly imagining my VCS resting in an absurdly large custom dock, akin to the original Intelly's Blue Whale, to house the PS and video card "riser":

Original Intellivision keyboard component - Intellivision / Aquarius -  AtariAge Forums

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, KingSmed said:

Just to make sure I understand what I am looking at here - am I seeing a cable from the connector used for the WiFi card going to the video card? I'm assuming that's a PCI-e slot. But with a WiFi card, I can't imagine it would need anything better than x1 bandwidth. And yet for the video card, I'd expect x16 would be required. How much bandwidth does it have?

I am suddenly imagining my VCS resting in an absurdly large custom dock, akin to the original Intelly's Blue Whale, to house the PS and video card "riser":

Yeah, it's mini pci-e.

The specs say the Ryzen Embedded R1600G has 8 PCI-E lanes. (Edit: According to wikipedia mini pci-e m.2 only gets 4 lanes to use Edit2: Wikipedia doesn't specify the bandwidth per lane on m.2. But other sites say the Gen3 should be about 1GB/s per lane, with 4 lanes it sounds like it should do 4GB/s )

I would expect it to want to use all 8 lanes for full performance.

I would expect it could pull somewhat decent performance from it if it can use 4 lanes.

Edited by Angrymoleratsbaggle

3 hours ago, Angrymoleratsbaggle said:

Sweet, I was looking at the mini pci-e adapters to try it with one of my Radeon RX580s.

Do you have 3DMark to run some benchmarks with?

Would be interested to see how it does with the external card.

Here are my first benchmark results, done with "3DMARK / Time Spy". First the embedded AMD Vega3 Bench and than (2nd Screenshot) the GTX 1060 6GB Bench.

I guess, the results are absolutely okay, if I compare it with the 3DMARK Timespy Benchmark table...

It´s done without any fine tuning of Windows and/or the BIOS.

I guess, it´s possible, to increase the performance for a little bit by tweaking Windows/ BIOS.

Cheers,

andY

3DMark_timespy_AMD Vega 3.PNG

3DMark_timespy_GTX1060_01.PNG

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Absolutely insane to see the difference in performance with such a card. I hadn't even considered that route as I was pondering such an idea with Thunderbolt but knowing it of course doesn't have TB, completely forgetting this was a possibility. Now let's see some 3080 numbers! ;-) but regardless, cool to see!

• Like 1

On 1/21/2021 at 8:45 PM, Clint Thompson said:

Absolutely insane to see the difference in performance with such a card. I hadn't even considered that route as I was pondering such an idea with Thunderbolt but knowing it of course doesn't have TB, completely forgetting this was a possibility. Now let's see some 3080 numbers! ;-) but regardless, cool to see!

So I already have a TB3 based eGPU case, wonder if there is a miniPCI-e to Thunderbolt adapter... I mean it kind of defeats the purpose of a tiny, well designed case sitting under the TV.  But what bloody fun!  (it's late enough at night I can become partially British)

• Haha 3

• 5 months later...
On 1/21/2021 at 9:15 AM, andymanone said:

Hi guys,

like promised, here is my first successful PoC, connecting a NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB to the ATARI VCS ?.

The monitor is directly connectet to the HDMI GTX Port and it works fine and for the very first test, 

better than accepted ?.)

I´ve tested it with a PALIT KalmX GTX 1050 TI 4GB and a Gigabyte Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, which I just had at hand,

but it should works of course with other/newer PCIe cards too.

Each graphic cards are properly recognized at boot time and works well, as far as I can see....

(See some Screenshot attached)

Cheers,

andY

I'm trying the same thing but I am not sure what cable to use from the VCS wifi m.2 to the riser. Can you please send me a link to where I can buy one?

It's really cool what you did.  Thanks for posting and well done!

On 7/15/2021 at 10:20 PM, HS Comp Science Teacher said:

I'm trying the same thing but I am not sure what cable to use from the VCS wifi m.2 to the riser. Can you please send me a link to where I can buy one?

It's really cool what you did.  Thanks for posting and well done!

Thanks ?!

Yes, of course I can provide the proper parts you need.

1. EXP GDC Beast Graphic Dock

2. HDMI to NGFF M.2 cable

If you need both, then you can buy this oneFestnight External Card Graphics Dock NGFF M.2 A/E Key Version for V8.0 EXP GDC Beast

If you own an EXP GDC Beast, than you only need the proper NGFF M.2 cable, like this: Fasient1 HDMI adapter cable, NGFF M.2 A / E key HDMI external graphics card line adapter

(Keep in mind: only the NGFF M.2 cable works! You can find the difference in the last picture.)

If you have any question, feel free to ask me.

Cheers, andY

61hF11vTDqL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

618LBepQuJL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

61dy+VfoUnL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

51dmCxxmc9L._AC_SL1000_.jpg

Edited by andymanone

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/19/2021 at 10:50 AM, andymanone said:

Thanks ?!

Yes, of course I can provide the proper parts you need.

1. EXP GDC Beast Graphic Dock

2. HDMI to NGFF M.2 cable

If you need both, then you can buy this oneFestnight External Card Graphics Dock NGFF M.2 A/E Key Version for V8.0 EXP GDC Beast

If you own an EXP GDC Beast, than you only need the proper NGFF M.2 cable, like this: Fasient1 HDMI adapter cable, NGFF M.2 A / E key HDMI external graphics card line adapter

(Keep in mind: only the NGFF M.2 cable works! You can find the difference in the last picture.)

If you have any question, feel free to ask me.

Cheers, andY

61hF11vTDqL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

618LBepQuJL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

61dy+VfoUnL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

51dmCxxmc9L._AC_SL1000_.jpg

Thank you so much!!  I just bought the part but am confused on two things.

1.  How do I supply power to the graphics card dock?

2.  What drivers do I need?  Just the graphics card drivers?

Again, you rock!

Here's what it looks like so far:

20210804_191319.thumb.jpg.53b52ad5c0444558d76204718154575a.jpg

7 hours ago, HS Comp Science Teacher said:

Thank you so much!!  I just bought the part but am confused on two things.

1.  How do I supply power to the graphics card dock?

2.  What drivers do I need?  Just the graphics card drivers?

Again, you rock!

Sounds great ?!

About your questions:

1. It´s very easy. Of course you´ll need an external ATX-Power Supply (you´ll see it on my pictures too).
You have to connect it to the Dock and - if you use an powerful graphic card, also to the Power-connector on your graphic card.

(of course you must connect the ATX24-Pin connector to the Dock too (this one with the only one green wire), to automatically "power on" the external Powersupply ;))

2. After than the VCS recognize your graphic card automatically and you have only to install the latest Nvidia (oder Radeon) drivers for Win10 or Linux.

Thats all :).

Good luck, and if you´ve further questions let me know....

Cheers,

andY

Edited by andymanone

On 8/5/2021 at 5:28 AM, marss said:

Truly crazy setups?

A video would be so cool.

Sure.  I had to buy a separate cable for my power supply to power the graphics card dock.  It's on it's way but after I get this rig all setup, I'll make a video and post it.  I'm using it to show my high school students and include it in my cyber security unit of my computer science class.  Plus I'm a total Atari fanboy.  lol...  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HS Comp Science Teacher said:

Sure.  I had to buy a separate cable for my power supply to power the graphics card dock.  It's on it's way but after I get this rig all setup, I'll make a video and post it.  I'm using it to show my high school students and include it in my cyber security unit of my computer science class.  Plus I'm a total Atari fanboy.  lol...  

Nice!  Got Linux all set up on it then?  Funny that they are teaching Cyber security in high school now.  Was telling a friend of mine that is really the industry to be in now, considering all that goes on these days.

On 8/5/2021 at 2:25 AM, andymanone said:

Sounds great ?!

About your questions:

1. It´s very easy. Of course you´ll need an external ATX-Power Supply (you´ll see it on my pictures too).
You have to connect it to the Dock and - if you use an powerful graphic card, also to the Power-connector on your graphic card.

(of course you must connect the ATX24-Pin connector to the Dock too (this one with the only one green wire), to automatically "power on" the external Powersupply ;))

2. After than the VCS recognize your graphic card automatically and you have only to install the latest Nvidia (oder Radeon) drivers for Win10 or Linux.

Thats all :).

Good luck, and if you´ve further questions let me know....

Cheers,

andY

Can you please show me a picture of the PCIE "white" cord and how it plugs into the power supply?  I tried and it started smoking!  lol

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, HS Comp Science Teacher said:

Can you please show me a picture of the PCIE "white" cord and how it plugs into the power supply?  I tried and it started smoking!  lol

Ohhh! Holy cow?!!!
What did you do?

I'll post you tomorrow how I did the wiring.

Cheers, 

andY

Sorry, I´m late, but very busy last time.

Like promised, here some pics of my Dock/PSU/GTX wiring.

1. Connect the CPU 12V 4pin connector from your PSU to the free 4 pin Dock connector(like shown below)

2. Connect the PSU "Mainboard connector" 24 pin (20+4 pin - the 4Pin part is detachable, like shown below)

3. If you use an graphic card with it´s own PCIe Power connector, so connect the 6 pin PCI-E connector from your PSU (like shown below) to your graphic  card to

Make sure that the yellow cables are connected to the other yellow cables and the black cables are connected to the black cables. For the 20+4 connection, make sure that the green cable is connected to the other green cable.

That´s all :).

Now it should automatically power on, if you power on your VCS.

Good luck,

andY

Dock_connector.JPEG

dock_power01.jpeg

dock_power02.jpeg

PCIe_Power_connector01.jpeg

PCIe_Power_connector02.jpeg

PCIe_Power_connector03.jpeg

PCIe_Power_GTX01.jpeg

PCIe_Power_GTX02.jpeg

• Like 2