Rev

Amico physical media

Since Amico does not have a cartridge slot, should the RFID card/item/unit be classified as physical media?

From what I gather, Amico physical media is basically going to consist of case RFID item, maybe a paper manual and/or a collectible toy/item. Which would amount to a loot box, if true. 

Edited by Rev
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, Rev said:

From what I gather, Amico physical media is basically going to consist of case RFID item, maybe a paper manual and/or a collectible toy/item. Which would amount to a loot box, if true. 

Thats as physical media as an xbox store gift card. Also (semi-unrelated) I wonder if J. Allard its still involved in the Amico Project?

• Like 3

The rfid stores the license information.  Since that is digital storage, it is technically physical media.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

59 minutes ago, Rev said:

Since Amico does not have a cartridge slot, should the RFID card/item/unit be classified as physical media?

That's great enough for me!👍

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, mr_me said:

The rfid stores the license information.  Since that is digital storage, it is technically physical media.

Well, if you really want to get pedantic, the game is not stored in the RFID dongle, so the license comes in physical media, but the game does not.

Your turn.

-dZ.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

That's correct, don't call it a physical game.

But we've had, for some time, the ability to back up software that we download and put it on physical media ourselves, so physical game distribution itself is not necessary.

Edited by mr_me
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

25 minutes ago, mr_me said:

To me (and for what ive read a lot of people too) physical media in video games implies being able to play the game that you purchased , stored on a physical object anytime you want without the need of loging to the Internet (yeah even with  updates and drm related) or a separate download .  Your game is yours no matter what happens to the companies or services that created it. Buying a license for a game stored on an item its not buying a physical game. Its a game related souvenir or collectable. Specially if the same game os also avilable on digital storefronts. Buf i guess the Amico fans are ok with another half promise

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, mr_me said:

That's correct, don't call it a physical game.

But we've had, for some time, the ability to back up software that we download and put it on physical media ourselves, so physical game distribution itself is not necessary.

I'd be happy with that.  I mean Steam downloads the game onto your set, so you really don't "own" the physical game... but you can save the files as they are, and just copy over the main game once you reload it if your HD crashes.

Effectively restoring the game.  I did this with Skyrim SE, Fallout, Far Cry5... etc. 

As long as I can store a backup somewhere other than the Amico, good to go!

For you know.. when we're all off the grid... making ethanol from corn... etc..etc

🤭

Edited by IMBerzerk
  • Like 2

Ugh.. do not like this.  As others have stated I want to be able to play the game years from now with the game itself on physical media.. disappointed.  

• Like 2

Glorified download key. Useless if the servers ever go down. When people thing video game physical media they think does it have the game on it. Not a download key.

Many of the modern games that have physical releases are hard to even classify as physical media considering most still require you to either download patches. The way some people talk about the physical media for Amico makes it seem like it has the game on it which some will expect. You are basically spending an extra $10 or so to get a "toy" to go with your digital download.

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, Yarzzz said:

To me (and for what ive read a lot of people too) physical media in video games implies being able to play the game that you purchased , stored on a physical object anytime you want without the need of loging to the Internet (yeah even with  updates and drm related) or a separate download .  Your game is yours no matter what happens to the companies or services that created it. Buying a license for a game stored on an item its not buying a physical game. Its a game related souvenir or collectable. Specially if the same game os also avilable on digital storefronts. Buf i guess the Amico fans are ok with another half promise

There are no promises or half promises.  Until Amico is on the market it's a product under development.

They haven't said much about it but what they have said is very clear that a game bought physically in a store will require internet to download/install.

• Like 3

I think most people hear the words: physical media.....and it traditionally has meant either: floppy dick,cartridge, game disc, or Ds type of cart Switch) and the GAME was stored on these types of physical media. 

Now if I can download (RFID)the entire game without from whatever is in the Amico physical media WITHOUT connecting to the internet, that may be a different story. 

I don’t mind Amico having a physical product, but naming it physical media is a little misleading in my opinion. And I will likely buy these Amico mini loot boxes. 

Edited by Rev
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, MrBeefy said:

Glorified download key. Useless if the servers ever go down. When people thing video game physical media they think does it have the game on it. Not a download key.

Many of the modern games that have physical releases are hard to even classify as physical media considering most still require you to either download patches. The way some people talk about the physical media for Amico makes it seem like it has the game on it which some will expect. You are basically spending an extra $10 or so to get a "toy" to go with your digital download.

I got rid of the PS4 because to play the games you have to load the discs to the console. 

• Like 1

It the console becomes worthless because you can't play the games without Intellivision Servers gatekeeping them, that sucks. 

21 minutes ago, Rev said:

I think most people hear the words: physical media.....and it traditionally has meant either: floppy dick,cartridge, game disc, or Ds type of cart Switch) and the GAME was stored on these types of physical media. 

That's too good to be a typo...

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

3 hours ago, Rev said:

I got rid of the PS4 because to play the games you have to load the discs to the console. 

My son is 21 and he actually collects all the PS4 exclusive games that come with box,disc and manual.

I am so proud of his old school homage to physical media. 

He is a hybrid player/collector as he does purchase other downloadable games as well.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cmadruga said:

That's too good to be a typo...

That is the best spellcheck mistake I’ve ever seen.  

Fucking awesome! Another shit on the Amico thread. I fucking love these. 

• Haha 3
  • Confused 2

We are not thinking that Amico has an SD slot and that slot could be used to read games on special SD cards like Nintendo Switch.

I imagine the once inserted the SD the game could be installed into Amico internal memory and the SD could be remove letting us play without have to insert the SD every time.

Personally I don't like the idea to have physical games that are only the license on an RFID card, as cool as it can manufactured that card is not the game for me.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Rev said:

Now if I can download (RFID)the entire game without from whatever is in the Amico physical media WITHOUT connecting to the internet, that may be a different story. 

I don’t mind Amico having a physical product, but naming it physical media is a little misleading in my opinion. And I will likely buy these Amico mini loot boxes. 

Since the games are still digitally distributed, the term physical media/game would be misleading.  We'll see what they call them when they are on the market.

9 hours ago, BBWW said:

It the console becomes worthless because you can't play the games without Intellivision Servers gatekeeping them, that sucks. 

Once the games are installed, the internet is not required to play them.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, cmart604 said:

This isn’t a shit on Amico thread at all. I thought it was a civil discussion of the physical media. 

17 hours ago, Rev said:

There is something about it that has not been revealed and makes it "different" from what people are assuming.

That is partly why the folks in the video were excited.

I'll leave it at that.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, cmart604 said:

Not from all of us C-mart.

A couple of us in here only had positive things to say.

I personally believe the Amico deserves the opportunity to flourish and be experienced by gamers before people are allowed to tear it apart.

Just because the physical media may be different than what old school gamers are used to,doesn't mean that it cant still be great!

• Like 4

17 hours ago, Yarzzz said:

Thats as physical media as an xbox store gift card.

We are different than that.

17 hours ago, Yarzzz said:

Also (semi-unrelated) I wonder if J. Allard its still involved in the Amico Project?

Yes.  He is.  He was hired as a full time contractor to help us complete the final steps of hardware design and is a current part-time advisor whenever we need him.  J has his own successful GPS business and we were honored that he decided to put that on hold for awhile.  His insights and experience are priceless and we changed and streamlined many things in order to get our user experience as simple as possible.

A word of advice, I'd highly recommend folks not getting their rumors and news from a website that makes fun of my race, my age, my height, my wife and my employees.  Or, from a fake so-called journalist who writes unprofessional nasty e-mails and linkedIn comments to our employees.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, mr_me said:

That is correct.  What we're doing hasn't really been done before so the terminology is definitely grey area. 

The first line of Physical Media on Wikipedia states:  Physical media refers to the physical materials that are used to store or transmit information.

Yet further down it states:  Physical media can also be used to describe pressed or prerecorded optical media like CDs, DVDs, and Blu-rays, specially when compared with modern streaming media or content that has been downloaded from the internet.

We use the term Physical Media right now for lack of a better term. 

It does a little more than a typical gift card or download key does which makes it a lot more closer to traditional physical games than just a download card.  PLUS a lot of great additional features that traditional physical media do not have.  Kinda like the best of both worlds... which again.... is what a few of the folks who saw it in the video I posted were excited about.

More to be revealed in the future.  I think most folks will be pleasantly surprised.

:)

• Like 3