Rev

Amico physical media

46 minutes ago, Bonkey Kong said:

Anyone who has ever used and played physical games knows exactly what they are so the authoritative source is everyone who has ever played physical games without the use of the internet to do so.

The game data is stored in the purchased physical form and playable in it's originally purchased form without the need for any further downloadable digital content.  This would include games that are installed from a retail purchased disc or Switch gamecard to a console as long as it can be done without an internet connection since the game data itself is on the disc.  This also includes a modern handheld like the Evercade which never needs an internet connection to play any of their physical release games.

Again, nothing wrong with a console that is 100% DLC-DownLoadableContent just be more clear and don't tell people you have physical games when if you do not.

If the Amico retail boxed games contain the actual game data then I can go along with it being a physical game that requires an internet verification....but if the game data is DLC then it is DLC, not physical.

I am new to Atari Age forums but it is quite surprising to me that I need to be a voice of old school reasoning on here to explain what a physical game is.  I would have assumed that the large majority of commenters on a site called Atari Age would know exactly what a physical game is.

When it comes to other types of physical media such as movie or music.  It is quite clear that when you buy physical movies or music, the data is stored in the disc and playable without any internet connection.  Not sure how people could possibly confuse this but hey maybe some of you are new schoolers who only know digital media so if that is the case, it is all good and I don't mind explaining it for you.

Thanks for the question 

I notice that in the Q&A thread that you say digital games are DLC. In this case you are deviating from what people generally consider DLC to be, if you asked someone what qualifies as DLC. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Swami said:

I notice that in the Q&A thread that you say digital games are DLC. In this case you are deviating from what people generally consider DLC to be, if you asked someone what qualifies as DLC. 

You are correct that most people nowadays only think of DLC as optional add-ons.

However the very meaning of DLC is DownLoadableContent which would include any and all digital download game data including the game itself.

3 minutes ago, Bonkey Kong said:

The game data itself is the media and that game data is digital but in a physical form that you can hold and use in your console right out of the box with no internet connection required for any DLC

...so if the game data is included in the retail package and usable in it's originally sold form without any further internet updates or downloads, then it is a physical game and therefore also physical media

...If the game data is not included in the retail packaging, which is the case with the Amico as far as we know, then you are purchasing a digitally downloadable content (DLC) game in a retail package.

I don’t think I can agree with this; that the game data is the physical media or the digital downloaded game is DLC in what is generally understood. 

4 minutes ago, Bonkey Kong said:

You are correct that most people nowadays only think of DLC as optional add-ons.

However the very meaning of DLC is DownLoadableContent which would include any and all digital download game data including the game itself.

And by definition, all digital data is physical. 

6 minutes ago, Bonkey Kong said:

And people drive on a parkway and park on a driveway. Just because a word is in a word does not mean it literally applies. Words or phrases can take on new meaning. Yes, in 2008, an entire download of a game would have been considered DLC. But in 2021, that literal meaning hasn't applied in the industry for a number of years. In a sense, by continuing that line of argument, you're calling DLC the Baltimore Colts.

Posted (edited)
57 minutes ago, Rev said:

It is speculation at this point.

This is the only mention of physical games i can find on the official Intellivision website.  

BEC9EE1A-33ED-44C1-B5B4-50BD26120497.thumb.jpeg.42ffb9c50a6c91feab548f3ae25b1b60.jpeg

What else have you found on the website that I can not. 

Dont refer me to the main question thread, I pretty much avoid that, that is nothing but speculation and unconfirmed talk. 

Where is an official fact sheet or FAQ on physical media and the details and facts. 

Great that you posted this because hopefully they will update the FAQ to make it clear that their retail versions require that the games are downloaded from the internet. Here would be an example of what I think would be more clear to potential consumers who care about physical games.

Will there be physical games for Amico?

No, not in the traditional sense but we have some very innovative things planned to bridge the gap between Digital and Physical games that we think many people will get excited about once we reveal all the details.  (Amico will have collectible limited edition retail packaged versions but will require an internet connection to download the game) More details coming soon.

Edited by Bonkey Kong

I don't think I've heard the term DLC used in any other way other than an add-on to an existing game.

Physical media. No internet required. This isnt rocket science. 

Physical media:

image.thumb.jpg.f30c92b8f98059bf0c029969f8a5eed2.jpg

If you are downloading a full game from an internet connection in any manner then its not physical media.  

Its generally accepted that DLC now means a patch or some new part of a game was added. 

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Bonkey Kong said:

The game data itself is the media and that game data is digital but in a physical form that you can hold and use in your console right out of the box with no internet connection required for any DLC

...so if the game data is included in the retail package and usable in it's originally sold form without any further internet updates or downloads, then it is a physical game and therefore also physical media

...If the game data is not included in the retail packaging, which is the case with the Amico as far as we know, then you are purchasing a digitally downloadable content (DLC) game in a retail package

...so no matter how cool it is and how innovative, it is not a physical game.

Again, absolutely nothing wrong with downloadable content games as most people nowadays prefer DLC and dislike physical games.  Physical games are rapidly becoming a thing of the past which is why it is awesome to see companies like Evercade who is really embracing physical games for those of us who still like owning a traditional physical game.

I am still on the fence on whether or not I ever buy an Amico so I am still a potential consumer for Amico...but...

Wouldn't it be something if Amico did some further partnerships with Evercade and released ports of the new re-imagined classic on actual physical game carts for the Evercade VS to make us old schoolers climax to complete satisfaction.  I am holding out hope that Intellivision Collection #2 Physical Game Cartridge for Evercade includes at least 1 of the new re-imagined Astrosmash, Moon Patrol, or Night Stalker in a ported form that works on the Evercade VS. 

Wouldn't that be something...

I and many other Evercade users can only hope it happens at some point since nowhere in the Amico commandments does it say that Intellivision won't port a handful of their best classic re-imagined games to another platform.

It would be great if IE and Evercade made some carts , but they’d have to be reprogrammed for the 8-way dpad with no touch screen, gyro, etc. Like Tommy has said that Amico games could not be played on any other system without losing a lot of functionality. For at least a few, it could be done without a lot of loss, such as Astroblast, although you’d be limited to 2-player. 

• Like 1

On 1/22/2021 at 6:55 PM, Bamse said:

will what ever form the physical media take be transferable? So you can for instance sell the game when you are finished with it

Yes,

Here is basically how the retail versions will work according to several sources.

You first make sure your Amico is connected to the internet then you tap the retail item containing the RFID product key (let's call it a cartridge shell containing the RFID product key) to the system and it activates the internet game download and when it is complete you will have the game on your Amico to play.

If you should ever want to sell the game, you can simply use the Amico UI to de-activate the downloaded game on that console and tap the cartridge on the system to renew the product key, then the game becomes able to change hands.  So you can give it away, trade it, loan it, sell it, whatever.  The other person who gets it can now activate it on their Amico console to download the game over the internet the same way you did.

Also, since the game file can be stored on a memory card, the internet may not be needed after the 1st activation which is very cool indeed.  So yeah, wouldn't this be something if you can turn the initial downloadable game into an actual physical game that no longer requires the internet to activate on another console after it has changed hands.

I know everyone already knows this stuff already but thought I would try to clarify in better detail how it is most likely going to work from the consumer standpoint.  I think this description is very close to what you can expect which actually after thinking about it, is quite neat and certainly should make it more acceptable to some people.  No, you are still not getting an actual physical game initially but seem to have the ability to turn it into a physical game that no longer requires internet after the initial activation...

I would also expect a physical manual or maybe a poster is included which is a nice touch.

Hope this helps to better clarify... 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Rev said:

Is it possible the full games are on the RFID trinket and are downloaded that way?    With no internet. 

Why are we still speculating. The Console releases in around 12 weeks. 

Is it company secrets so the competition doesnt steal the tech?

I don't think RFID will hold that amount of information. Maybe enough to hold an Atari 2600 game but not enough for a full fledged game.

There have been rfid SD cards before, but I haven't seen rfid-micro SD cards. If you had a RFID SD card you could probably have the rfid talk with the servers to have it written to the SD card. That would almost be like a "make your own" Amico game. 

http://www.sdid.com/products.shtml

56 minutes ago, Bonkey Kong said:

Here is basically how the retail versions will work according to several sources.

That sounds good but what are your sources, are they reliable sources?

7 hours ago, Rev said:

It is speculation at this point.

This is the only mention of physical games i can find on the official Intellivision website.  

BEC9EE1A-33ED-44C1-B5B4-50BD26120497.thumb.jpeg.42ffb9c50a6c91feab548f3ae25b1b60.jpeg

What else have you found on the website that I can not. 

Dont refer me to the main question thread, I pretty much avoid that, that is nothing but speculation and unconfirmed talk. 

Where is an official fact sheet or FAQ on physical media and the details and facts. 

You aren't going to find any offical press releases beyond what you read there. That FAQ on their website specifically says physical game and doesn't say media. So if it is some special way to download that FAQ is more misleading than the debate over what does "media" mean.

All the talk of needing internet and download comes from the Q&A thread and interviews. No one in all those interviews ever ask if the physical will work if you buy a game AFTER servers go down and don't already have it installed. The only thing mentioned is if you bought and installed the game before servers shut down, you would still have it.

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, mr_me said:

The description I posted comes from several people who have seen the retail product either in person or over a zoom call.  Not going to say who.  I don't think I gave any information that they have not already stated in bits and pieces on their individual you tube channels.

It is not any new info, I just pieced the process all together from a consumer standpoint to hopefully make more sense out of it for those still confused.

I hope it helps in some way and hope I did not spill any beans that were not supposed to be revealed or have not already been talked about.

Edited by Bonkey Kong
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, mr_me said:

That is basically the take away from the Q&A and all the interviews I've watched. It has been stated the physical could be reused. Think of how taking your controller to a friend's house works. It is technically all speculation until the full announcement but after listening to everything this is how I'm thinking it is going to work too.

The part I haven't heard is backing up individual games to external media and installing on someone else's Amico.  The RFID, NFT, ability to transfer ownership are things I've heard from the CEO, so that's not speculation.

3 hours ago, mr_me said:

The part I haven't heard is backing up individual games to external media and installing on someone else's Amico.  The RFID, NFT, ability to transfer ownership are things I've heard from the CEO, so that's not speculation.

Thats all fine. But thats still not physical media, the plastic trinket that houses the RFID/NFT tech is a physical product for sure. 

Perhaps thats what is should be renamed:   Physical product

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rev said:

Thats all fine. But thats still not physical media, the plastic trinket that houses the RFID/NFT tech is a physical product for sure. 

Perhaps thats what is should be renamed:   Physical product

They haven't been introduced yet, so we don't know what they are calling them.

21 hours ago, mr_me said:

They've always said you would be able to back it up. Not specifically on someone else' console. It was reuse of the rfid item that I meant.

15 hours ago, roots.genoa said:

Does it really matter as long as you can put it on your shelves?

Well of course! I bought RetroMania Wrestling, but they offered a deal to get a case and manual. It was strictly to put something on the shelf since it is a 100% digital game. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, mr_me said:

They haven't been introduced yet, so we don't know what they are calling them.

On their FAQ they say physical game, all the interviews it is called physical media. 😜

The FAQ discusses physical games but doesn't say what they are called.  Besides that, companies can have temporary names, project names for products under development that's different than the final product names.  They might still describe them as physical games whatever they're called.  We'll see how they describe them once they are on the market.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, mr_me said:

The FAQ discusses physical games but doesn't say what they are called.  Besides that, companies can have temporary names, project names for products under development that's different than the final product names.  They might still describe them as physical games whatever they're called.  We'll see how they describe them once they are on the market.

Yes it is subjective depending on ones generation of video game experiences, collecting practices etc.  I am still standing firm that a true physical game for me is one that is playable right out of the box with no internet connection required for any reason as rare as that is these days.

Even though Amico is looking like an all digital console, with 100% of game content being downloaded over the internet, it is nice to see they are planning some new ways of packaging and implementation. 

Us old geezers just need to get over the fact that true physical media is limited these days.  I can still be happy with my Evercade Physical Game Cartridges and my BluRay/CD physical movie/music collections as well as plenty of true physical retro games for older consoles.

Amico call their physically boxed downloadable games whatever they want really, not everyone will be happy about it no matter how they handle it, can't please everyone.  I am sure there will be some sort of disclaimer on the console box and game boxes that say internet is required to download all purchased games.

Edited by Bonkey Kong
  • Like 2

42 minutes ago, Bonkey Kong said:

Yes it is subjective depending on ones generation of video game experiences, collecting practices etc.  I am still standing firm that a true physical game for me is one that is playable right out of the box with no internet connection required for any reason as rare as that is these days.

Even though Amico is looking like an all digital console, with 100% of game content being downloaded over the internet, it is nice to see they are planning some new ways of packaging and implementation. 

Us old geezers just need to get over the fact that true physical media is limited these days.  I can still be happy with my Evercade Physical Game Cartridges and my BluRay/CD physical movie/music collections as well as plenty of true physical retro games for older consoles.

Amico call their physically boxed downloadable games whatever they want really, not everyone will be happy about it no matter how they handle it, can't please everyone.  I am sure there will be some sort of disclaimer on the console box and game boxes that say internet is required to download all purchased games.

If I look up “game card” on the internet, really all I get are the money cards for consoles, but I see Nintendo calls their flash carts game cards. Also, I am curious if you think the older MMO games for consoles like the Xbox and PS2 with the whole game on the disc are physical or digital. 

• Like 1