Rev

Amico physical media

On 9/29/2021 at 11:29 AM, Parker77 said:

Ouch.

I keep my Switch cards (some 25+) in a case like that. We also have a stupid puppy. I may need to rethink this position. It already managed to eat Mario Odyssey after one of the kids left it lying around. Well, what it did was attempt one bite, then decide it didn't like the coating on the carts. Unfortunately that bite was enough to pierce the actual inner board.

I have a rat terrier who is an insatiable chewer.  Fortunately, he is smart enough to only chew on the chew toys and stuffed animals that we shower him with.  He's got a huge collection of stuffed animals that he has "defluffed" and dismembered.  

Closest I ever came to damaging any of my 3DS cartridges was accidentally leaving a 4-pack carry case of them in my pants pocket during a laundry cycle.  To my surprise, after a run through the washer and dryer, all of the game still worked!

I do buy some games digitally, but I will always have a preference for physical media.  A freak accident is one thing that affects one person, but a server potentially shutting down in the future would affect all of the games on a system it was tied to.  I'm not crazy about a console's entire software library potentially having an expiration date like that.

Software being tied to a server has nothing to do with it being distributed digitally or physically.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

On 1/21/2021 at 4:22 PM, Rev said:

From what I gather, Amico physical media is basically going to consist of case RFID item, maybe a paper manual and/or a collectible toy/item.

My guess was pretty close. 

(which was based on others speculation)

• Like 2

So now that the coin and 3d rfid card is confirmed.   (Maybe some paper items as well?)

The next question is when will these go on sale to the general public?

Edited by Rev
  • Like 1

So, we will take the 3d rfid card, tap it onto the console, that is connected to the internet, which prompts or gives permission to initiate the download of the game stored on the console. 

My question is where does the NFT and NFT marketplace come into all this?

If i purchase this boxed product, do I automatically own the NFT of this game? Do I need an NFT/Amico account?

Can i purchase this boxed product, own the NFT of a particular game, then sell the NFT to my buddy Wolfy down the street?   Can I only buy and sell the NFT games in the official Amico NFT marketplace/store?

Is this the backend systems that are not complete?

I guess we will find out as release is closer. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Rev said:

My guess was pretty close. 

(which was based on others speculation)

After listening to Shaggy's experience the coin looking like an arcade token would be neat.

6 hours ago, Rev said:

So now that the coin and 3d rfid card is confirmed.   (Maybe some paper items as well?)

The next question is when will these go on sale to the general public?

Later in the day on the 10th?

Screenshot_20211008-202523_Chrome.jpg

• Like 2

I was thinking about this some more. I know people were hoping for like a mini cartridge.

How would people feel if the 3D card was basically an Intellivision cartridge? I think it very possible the card could be a "cart".

But then, wouldn't it be even more frustrating to have a 3D photo of a cart instead of a real cart? A 3D artwork of a 3D picture of a character from the game would be better imho.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Beatley82 said:

Whatever is in those boxes, the boxes themselves are certainly very nice.

Yes, the boxes do look nice.  

small side note:  why is biplanes font different. (Not bold)

correction on second print releases?    A possible rare variant?  Lol

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Rev said:

Yes, the boxes do look nice.  

small side note:  why is biplanes font different. (Not bold)

correction on second print releases?    A possible rare variant?  Lol

If any of them needed a different font it would be Ridged Force. There almost isn't enough box for that title.

16 hours ago, roots.genoa said:

But then, wouldn't it be even more frustrating to have a 3D photo of a cart instead of a real cart? A 3D artwork of a 3D picture of a character from the game would be better imho.

I think it will have two cards in there with a coin. Guess we will know soon. A cart is a cart right? As long as you can display it on a shelf. :P

5 hours ago, ashtonm said:

I'd there are no manuals I have no interest in these.

There are no manuals because there's no need for a manual. The games are supposed to be self explanatory. Makes perfect sense.

That said, it's up to you what you find collectable.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, SegaMasterSystemPunk said:

there's no need for a manual.

I always enjoyed manuals even for the most simple Intellivision and Atari games for the backstories and artwork alone. That said the trend certainly has shifted away from print manuals even for physical media. This is all Mario Odyssey comes with (and I assume most modern games):

aa.thumb.jpg.a6b423fc4466a1e50256a2cd4914803b.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MattPilz said:

I always enjoyed manuals even for the most simple Intellivision and Atari games for the backstories and artwork alone.

I also enjoy manuals a lot, but I believe the main problem with having manuals is language. For North America it would not cause too much trouble since there are only three main languages, but for Europe that's another story. For example, Odyssey 2 (Philips Videopac) games sold in Europe in the 80's had 10 or more languages included. With Eastern European countries now included, this would turn into 20+ languages included. The manual for Intellivision's Advanced Dungeons & Dragons was 16 pages... Beyond the cost of translation, can you imagine having a 320 pages manual including in the box?

On 10/8/2021 at 6:25 PM, ColecoJoe said:

I guess it's a coin

unknown.png

I must admit, seeing all those boxes lined up like that has hit me right in the nostalgia gland. They're really well presented and would certainly stand out on a store shelf.

4 hours ago, Papy said:

I also enjoy manuals a lot, but I believe the main problem with having manuals is language. For North America it would not cause too much trouble since there are only three main languages, but for Europe that's another story. For example, Odyssey 2 (Philips Videopac) games sold in Europe in the 80's had 10 or more languages included. With Eastern European countries now included, this would turn into 20+ languages included. The manual for Intellivision's Advanced Dungeons & Dragons was 16 pages... Beyond the cost of translation, can you imagine having a 320 pages manual including in the box?

Not to mention that if you include Finnish, the manual would have to be thicker than the box is.

• Haha 1

These games still should have a manual. I'm sure there would be plenty that could be explained.  Have you ever seen Atari 2600 and Intellivision manuals? Some get extensive and are very important to know the information.