IGNORED

What's the name of that new joystick?

bfollowell

Looks like there is a UK supplier.  Not sure if it's official or if the guy just bought a bunch and is reselling them, probably the later as he only has 1 or 2 of each in stock.

https://zxrenew.co.uk/ArcadeR-c58672270

incl postage it's £39.73

or from original supplier it's $35 incl postage (£25.58 after conversion according to google)

Edited by Preppie

21 minutes ago, manterola said:

I'm curious about how the second button is wired. 

It probably depends on which machine you order it for. I thought, since most 8-bit, 9-pin joystick machines only had one button anyway, that the second was probably wired in parallel, so that it'd be usable for lefties and righties. That doesn't look to be the case though, at least according to this video.

1 hour ago, bfollowell said:

It probably depends on which machine you order it for. I thought, since most 8-bit, 9-pin joystick machines only had one button anyway, that the second was probably wired in parallel, so that it'd be usable for lefties and righties. That doesn't look to be the case though, at least according to this video.

I guess the youtuber is not aware of Joy 2B+ and all these games:

https://github.com/ascrnet/Joy2Bplus/tree/master/games

This joystick seems super nice...  But I guess I cannot justify another joystick in the house   

30 minutes ago, manterola said:

I guess the youtuber is not aware of Joy 2B+ and all these games:

https://github.com/ascrnet/Joy2Bplus/tree/master/games

I'm not even sure what this is. Are these games that have been modified to use two-button sticks, or always did work with two-button sticks, and I just didn't know about it?

I'll have to look into those.

10 hours ago, ZuluGula said:

@_The Doctor__, we already have new mylars for many Atari keyboards and I don't think we need another source. The problem with Atari vs Sinclair is, that Atari used couple different suppliers of keyboards vs one for Sinclair. The price difference comes from low volume vs high volume production. 

I also learned recently that new mylar is not always necessary, it's possible to fix XE keyboard by changing values of couple resistors.

yup, our fix(s) works great but we still need replacement mylars every now and then, last time I checked there were two sinclair / + sheet types (plus third party and enhanced click types) and there were a few atari types (don't care who made them). it's really not a matter of volume so much. but none of that matters. A mylar for almost any machine shouldn't normally be more than $13.00 (usd) but that's another story.

The more the merrier is a good way to look at things.

Edited by _The Doctor__

1 hour ago, bfollowell said:

I'm not even sure what this is. Are these games that have been modified to use two-button sticks, or always did work with two-button sticks, and I just didn't know about it?

I'll have to look into those.

They have been modified to work with up to 3 buttons. The ArcadeR is easy to mod to support the two extra buttons

15 minutes ago, Mr Robot said:

They have been modified to work with up to 3 buttons. The ArcadeR is easy to mod to support the two extra buttons

It looks like the connector for the 3rd button connector is already in place.

info about Joy 2B +:

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/278884-2-button-joystick/?do=findComment&comment=4386273

13 hours ago, manterola said:

It looks like the connector for the 3rd button connector is already in place.

info about Joy 2B +:

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/278884-2-button-joystick/?do=findComment&comment=4386273

That's a link to a post I wrote ;) 

Here's the link to my post about the AracdeR mod 

On 1/22/2021 at 3:29 PM, Mr Robot said:

Yes

If it makes anyone feel a bit more comfortable, I am going to be the USA shipper, there is a box of 85 joysticks on its way to me right now. 

At the moment he is still shipping from China but you will eventually order from a .co.uk, pay to a Chinese paypal account, then a Serbian in China will tell a Brit in America (me) about it and I will ship you a joystick to your USA/Canada address. What's the worst that could happen?! ?

Will you post here when you get those sticks in your possession and are ready to ship? I’d love to pick one up, once the shipping is a bit quicker. Also, what colors are you getting, so I order one you have?

Thanks,

Smeg

OK so there is only room for two standard buttons in the Competition Pro sized case. on the front of the ArcadeR there are two function buttons, one of those (the left one) turns autofire on/off on the left hand button, the other button switches the right button between button two and button three and back. 

The ArcadeR comes with a Y cable that you can fit to make both buttons be Fire 1 and the mod I posted will allow you to have 3 buttons. If you want you can add another button (if you can find somewhere to put it) and plug it into the port on the PCB labeled '3' then the second function button is no longer used. 

If you don't do the above mod and you don't use the Y cable, button 2 does nothing by default.

Here's a size comparison.

IMG_4054.jpeg

IMG_4052.jpeg

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Atari Smeghead said:

Will you post here when you get those sticks in your possession and are ready to ship? I’d love to pick one up, once the shipping is a bit quicker. Also, what colors are you getting, so I order one you have?

Thanks,

Smeg

Yes I'll be letting you all know when I have them in hand. I spoke to Djordi yesterday and he told me he hasn't shipped them to me yet. He held off shipping over the Christmas shipping price hike period. 

I don't know what he is shipping me, I guess it's a representative sample of the most popular SKU's. He's also doing website updates as well, I think you may end up having the choice of where you want your order shipped from. We shall see what happens when we get into the swing of it! 

Maybe I can offer pre Multifire/Joy2B+ modded sticks for a little extra or something?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mr Robot said:

Yes I'll be letting you all know when I have them in hand. I spoke to Djordi yesterday and he told me he hasn't shipped them to me yet. He held off shipping over the Christmas shipping price hike period. 

I don't know what he is shipping me, I guess it's a representative sample of the most popular SKU's. He's also doing website updates as well, I think you may end up having the choice of where you want your order shipped from. We shall see what happens when we get into the swing of it! 

Maybe I can offer pre Multifire/Joy2B+ modded sticks for a little extra or something?

That's awesome! I will definitely keep an eye out for that announcement. I'm not overly concerned about the color, though some are admittedly cooler than others. :D 

• 3 weeks later...

I bought a black one with a red knob on Wednesday. It says pre order but just had a notification that it's been shipped from a UK address today. 

I may do Mr Robots mod, or see if it's possible to mod for a 7800 

I now have 46 of these sticks in various colours

AFAIK they are now available to order from RetroRadionics.co.uk here. 

https://retroradionics.co.uk/#!/DELIVERY-FROM-USA-•-ArcadeR-9-pin-ATARI-standard-Joystick-•/p/296743034/category=0

As to the mod, Djordie hasn't set up anything specific for that but if you order one and want the mod done before I ship it, send me a PM

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mimo said:

I bought a black one with a red knob on Wednesday. It says pre order but just had a notification that it's been shipped from a UK address today. 

I may do Mr Robots mod, or see if it's possible to mod for a 7800 

I think Djordie is arranging UK and EU local despatch as well as USA

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Sugarland said:

Are you reselling these? Where do I order?

I'm not reselling, just dispatching locally. 

RetroRadionics.co.uk now has a "Delivery from USA" version of the stick. The stick is more expensive because it's effectively being shipped twice and the shipping from China wasn't "China Post" it was DHL insured and customs declared which was not cheap. I also have a bag of spare parts and custom coloured bits but we haven't worked out what to do with those yet.

If you want the Multifire mod done to the stick, PM me your order number and I'll do the mod before I ship it.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Mr Robot said:

I'm not reselling, just dispatching locally. 

RetroRadionics.co.uk now has a "Delivery from USA" version of the stick. The stick is more expensive because it's effectively being shipped twice and the shipping from China wasn't "China Post" it was DHL insured and customs declared which was not cheap. I also have a bag of spare parts and custom coloured bits but we haven't worked out what to do with those yet.

If you want the Multifire mod done to the stick, PM me your order number and I'll do the mod before I ship it.

I'm glad you have them now, but it is a bummer they're so much more expensive. $35 to $50 is a bit of a jump (though I understand why). Do they still have an option to ship them from their origin point at a cheaper shipping cost, do you know?

15 minutes ago, Atari Smeghead said:

I'm glad you have them now, but it is a bummer they're so much more expensive. $35 to $50 is a bit of a jump (though I understand why). Do they still have an option to ship them from their origin point at a cheaper shipping cost, do you know?

Yeah there's nothing stopping you from ordering from the Chinese shipper. Djordie set all this up because he had so many complaints about the length of time it took to ship to the USA. Mine took about three months and so did a lot of other peoples. The idea is if you want it fast you have a choice, if you are cost sensitive you also have a choice. 

I agree, he cut his margins too close for the Chinese joysticks, $35 was way too cheap. There was no margin to absorb any extra costs so now any extra expense really stands out. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯