IGNORED

Anyone from NW Ohio area?

Alan Willford

Last month I bought a 800 and a Fujinet - which isn't working.  Since I don't have any other 8 bits or SIO devices I have no idea if the Fujinet is defective....or if the SIO on my 800 is bad.  Hoping someone lives nearby where I could swing by and see which piece is the issue.  Like plugging the Fujinet into another 8 bit or a drive into my 800.  Thanks.

Well, I'm  NE Ohio... Chances are good the FujiNet needs a firmware update (in fact, it's 100% certain you do, and you'll need one probably weekly for awhile)... With an 800, I also am fairly certain you need the USB power attached as well since I don't think 800's provide the power like some of the XL/XE series (I'm sure a dozen people will chime in on this by morning).

So depending on where you might be in the NW part and you can't get it figured out, might be up for a trip... I've done a couple road trips in the past to visit some Atari people.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

48 minutes ago, Tillek said:

I also am fairly certain you need the USB power attached as well since I don't think 800's provide the power like some of the XL/XE series (I'm sure a dozen people will chime in on this by morning).

The 400/800 do provide power, but they boot so fast that the Fujinet isn't up yet when the machine looks for a boot device.

The 400/800 also provide +12V on the SIO port, this feature was removed from later models.

Edited by BillC
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Sugarland said:

If you are unable to get the Fuji working,  why not buy another cheapish SIO device like an SIO2PC-USB?

Not too far (1.5hrs+) from NW OH and would love to meet you guys. Keep me on the list.  I'm good this weekend or whenever...

Wait... that wouldn't make you from....... Michigan, would it?

I didn't realize there were so many Ohioans here! I'm also in NW Ohio. I've been using the Fujinet on my 800 without issue, but this 800 has an Incognito installed. Let me pull an 800 down this week and try it on a stock machine.

Maybe we should have an Ohio Atari Party in '22?

15 hours ago, Alan Willford said:

Last month I bought a 800 and a Fujinet - which isn't working.  Since I don't have any other 8 bits or SIO devices I have no idea if the Fujinet is defective....or if the SIO on my 800 is bad.  Hoping someone lives nearby where I could swing by and see which piece is the issue.  Like plugging the Fujinet into another 8 bit or a drive into my 800.  Thanks.

As mentioned earlier, the Fujinet requires USB power when used with an 800 so let's rule that out first. 

I'm in Indianapolis but I'd travel to an Atari party in Ohio ;-)

• Like 1

I do have a power connector to it.  And when I opened up the 800 to see if there were any issues (and to reseat the chips) I noticed a few traces on the power supply board looked like they were flaking off.  Testing the connections with a multi-meter seemed to show they were ok, but bought a new board from Best because it was cheap and well....not much faith that the current 40 year old power supply was working right anyhow.    

And earlier I was able to get it to work, but that involved plugging in in/out a bunch of times and rebooting the 800 a lot.  Eventually I was able to get it working enough to flash the firmware and now I can go to the web address for the FujiNet when it is on and that part seems to be working ok.  

My wife asked me what I was trying to do and I told her the FujiNet would let it connect to the internet.  She was "so....a computer that was never intended to get on the internet somehow needs that?".  I think it is lost on her!

8 hours ago, gozar said:

I didn't realize there were so many Ohioans here! I'm also in NW Ohio. I've been using the Fujinet on my 800 without issue, but this 800 has an Incognito installed. Let me pull an 800 down this week and try it on a stock machine.

Which area?  I'm out in Maumee.  And christ...how many 800s do you have?

31 minutes ago, Alan Willford said:

I do have a power connector to it.  And when I opened up the 800 to see if there were any issues (and to reseat the chips) I noticed a few traces on the power supply board looked like they were flaking off.  Testing the connections with a multi-meter seemed to show they were ok, but bought a new board from Best because it was cheap and well....not much faith that the current 40 year old power supply was working right anyhow.    

And earlier I was able to get it to work, but that involved plugging in in/out a bunch of times and rebooting the 800 a lot.  Eventually I was able to get it working enough to flash the firmware and now I can go to the web address for the FujiNet when it is on and that part seems to be working ok.  

My wife asked me what I was trying to do and I told her the FujiNet would let it connect to the internet.  She was "so....a computer that was never intended to get on the internet somehow needs that?".  I think it is lost on her!

Well, as far as the 800 is concerned, do you get the memo pad when you turn it on with no carts plugged in?  Guess we could start there.

9 hours ago, gozar said:

22?  Pfffffft.  I'm predicting that the media will be telling us everything is totally safe within in a few weeks.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tillek said:

22?  Pfffffft.  I'm predicting that the media will be telling us everything is totally safe within in a few weeks.

You called it, they're all on TV saying they have to 'open it up' and save the restaurants an blah blah blah...

On 1/22/2021 at 5:38 PM, Alan Willford said:

Which area?  I'm out in Maumee.  And christ...how many 800s do you have?

I'm about 1.5 hours south of Maumee.

And, I don't know, 7 or 8? A school district near me had an 800 lab, and I happened to be at the auction when they were getting rid of them so I got a bunch for a song.

• Like 2