IGNORED

** Robots Of Death 2 **

Retrospect

* Robots Of Death 2 *

The Robots have taken humans for experimentation aboard their space-station in a galaxy quite far away.

Control:

Control laser-base with Joystick-1 in four directions.  Use fire button to shoot missile.
Care must be taken turning, as laser-base will advance in direction you turn.

Things to watch out for:

The walls, they're electrified. The robots are not nice and they don't like visitors.
XY Zappers.  They're really just autonomous guards, they fire missiles that only humans and you can be killed by.
Screaming Skulls. These horrible things can pass through walls and cannot be killed. They will chase you relentlessly.
Shooting the humans.  Try not to do this as you get 25 points for rescuing them.

In zone 1, the Zappers will move but very rarely fire. After zone 1 they fire randomly.

Scoring in the game:

Robots            10 points each
Rescue humans     25 points each

A high score is kept on the title screen

Note;  There are 99 zones to get through, each with a horde of 16 robots, XY zappers, and randomly a Screaming Skull.
The game is completed when the player has destroyed the last robot in zone 99.
Rescue as many humans as you can.  Your player base will automatically warp into the next zone upon shooting the last Robot in that zone, so make sure you've rescued the humans first (if you can!)

Credits:
Magellan (and it's creators/maintainers) for making it easy to do the graphics.
Senior Falcon for the compiler
Tursi for Classic-99 which this was developed /playtested on
Rasmus for JS99er which enabled my Chromebook-fanatical friend to playtest the game at his house.

Music on title screen was blatantly stolen from "The Sound Of Club Kinetic Vol.2"

This game is Public Domain and I encourage hosting and sharing of it.

GAME-X < Extended Basic game. RUN "DSK1.GAME-X" 
GAME-E,GAME-F,GAME-G < Editor/Assembler opt.5 files.

• Like 14

• 3 weeks later...
58 minutes ago, Omega-TI said:

When is the cartridge .BIN going to be released?

ROD2_8.bin    Robots of Death just keeps getting better and better! Super nice! 

For some reason I thought the voice synth was not usable with Harry's Compiler? I do believe it's working in this game:)

Is there a Pause feature?  I can't imagine surviving 99 consecutive levels of this in real life.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, jrhodes said:

I don't get what these 512k versions of some games are?

They work with the finalgrom, or some other cart hardware?

I usually just download the *_8.bin versions and put it on my FG99.

Yes, the 512K versions work in the FinalGROM, BUT if someone wants to burn a 49F040 chip for an UberGROM, the image has to be 512K for it to work properly.  The game is kind of neat, so I figured a couple of people might want to burn a dedicated cartridge from an easily downloadable image suitable for the task.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Retrospect said:

Regarding the speech working in compiled;  I found that if I tried to use certain methods of speech, it didn't work at all.

If we try ;  CALL SAY("#TRY AGAIN#") this will not work.  Basically anything with a "#" won't function.   

Not so. The program below works fine in XB and when compiled.

10 CALL SAY("#TRY AGAIN")
20 CALL SAY("#TEXAS INSTRUMENTS")
30 CALL SAY("#WHAT WAS THAT")

But if you add the second pound sign as you have, then even though it works in XB, it will not work when compiled. From the manual:

Speech has been added to the compiler. CALL SPGET works exactly like it does in XB. There are some minor differences in CALL SAY. The syntax is a bit more restrictive. Do not use leading spaces; only use one space between words; and do not append punctuation to words.
Unlike in XB, .(period) +(positive) and -(negative) are pronounced.

Commas can be used for a short pause both in XB and compiled like this: CALL SAY(“HELLO ,  , THERE”. More than one comma can be used for a longer pause.

If a word is not found in the speech synthesizer's vocabulary, Extended BASIC will sound out the letters of the word. The compiler simply skips the word. If you want to say the letters “A B C” you should put spaces between the letters. CALL SAY(“A B C”) works the same in XB and compiled.

An undocumented feature of XB is the use of # to consider a phrase as one word. Neither TEXAS nor INSTRUMENTS is in the speech synthesizer's vocabulary, but TEXAS INSTRUMENTS is. It can be spoken with  CALL SAY(“#TEXAS INSTRUMENTS”)
This also works with CALL SPGET(“#TEXAS INSTRUMENTS”,A$).

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1