IGNORED

My first A8 (emulated) complete with U1MB and SIDE2

Mazzspeed

I admit, I had to take a peek at a few comments by FJC on these very forums regarding others having issues, but I've got a basic system running and all things considered it was pretty straightforward.

Next to make my own config.sys.

Apologies if images seem a little blurry, I have a 4k monitor and for some reason screenshots don't render as well as I'd like on forums.

mrkJ0ky.png

ZbKrhVZ.png

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Dinadan67 said:

Nice. I suppose you are using Linux with a MacOS Theme + Wine?

No MacOS theme, that's bog standard KDE Neon 5.20.5 with the 'Docky' dock. Even using a standard KDE Neon wallpaper.

I'm running the latest release of Wine, I also run Proton/DXVK and play a vast majority of Windows games better than under native Windows. Furthermore, using Steamplay and Lutris, games are as easy to install as under native Windows.

32 minutes ago, candle said:

how about productivity software? any experience with these?

Hey Candle.

I use this machine for the daily running of my business, this is my primary workstation. I'm an IT tech also performing laptop repairs, I have a Mac for repairing Mac's, I had a Windows machine in the past but TBH I got rid of it as I simply never used it. I honestly rarely use my Mac (I actually use my C64 and my Amiga 1200 more than I use my Mac), as stated I only have a Mac to repair other Mac's (although, ironically enough Linux reads HFS/HFS+ file systems better than an actual Mac!).

On all my devices: Windows, MacOS or Linux I use Libre Office/Thunderbird. My entire business is set up using Google Workspaces and my calendar syncs perfectly with the Lightning Thunderbird addon, my email syncs perfectly using oauth, my Google Drive syncs using Insync (which I use on Windows/MacOS machines also) and I've never had a compatibility issue opening files under Libre Office.

Literally everything else is cross platform and runs natively, occasionally I use Wine, but gaming aside the need for Wine is rare.

This is the most stable and reliable OS I've ever used. It images every night and I never turn it off - It runs 24/7 and updates take no time at all.

EDIT: I even send SMS/MMS messages to clients using the Android Messages Electron app. Works a treat as I hate typing on those little phone keyboards!

Edited by Mazzspeed
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, bfollowell said:

I've done the same thing, but not had much luck setting up a hard drive system. I want to setup a CF3 system, but I'm not having any luck at all. Well, that's not true, but it's all bad!

I'd appreciate hearing about you procedure if it works for you.

It looks great!

Cheers my friend, thanks for the comments!

HDD setup was quite simple, are you using a VHD file or a physical disk?

2 hours ago, Mazzspeed said:

Apologies if images seem a little blurry, I have a 4k monitor and for some reason screenshots don't render as well as I'd like on forums.

ZbKrhVZ.png

Next is to turn on scanlines and crt bloom, running full screen. It feels almost 100% vintage.

3 minutes ago, gozar said:

Next is to turn on scanlines and crt bloom, running full screen. It feels almost 100% vintage.

I was looking at the various video tweaks earlier on, tomorrow I plan on tinkering some more, no doubt about it!

1 hour ago, bfollowell said:

I've done the same thing, but not had much luck setting up a hard drive system. I want to setup a CF3 system, but I'm not having any luck at all. Well, that's not true, but it's all bad!

I'd appreciate hearing about you procedure if it works for you.

It looks great!

Befollowell, let me know if you want tips/screenshots. I'm happy to oblige.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Mr Robot said:

Add a VBXE for nice 80 column mode in SDX and try out FJC's The Last Word :)

There's several great things in SDX whenusing VBXE.

Sparta Commander in colour!  I think it can do up to 30 lines of text (24, 25, and then 2 condensed modes).  EDDY (disk editor) is also much enhanced.

8 hours ago, Mazzspeed said:

Cheers my friend, thanks for the comments!

HDD setup was quite simple, are you using a VHD file or a physical disk?

6 hours ago, Mazzspeed said:

Befollowell, let me know if you want tips/screenshots. I'm happy to oblige.

I think I was using a VHD file. I mean, I must've been, as I know I wasn't using a real physical disk or card.

I can't remember now what all the problems I was having were. I just know I wasn't having any luck getting it setup and, having zero experience setting up a hard drive on a real Atari 8-bit or with SDX, real or not, it didn't seem all that intuitive to me. Of course, it seem to remember that I was playing with it before bed one night, and the longer I went without success, the more frustrated I got. Sleepiness and general late middle-aged crankiness may have had more to do with it than anything else. I'll play with it some more tonight or this weekend and let you know if I still need a hand.

Thanks!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stephen said:

Sparta Commander in colour!  I think it can do up to 30 lines of text (24, 25, and then 2 condensed modes).

Example SC.INI settings:

VIDEO=2,7
CURDIR=none
COLORS=$0C,$90,$9A,$BE,$EE
PCOLORS=$FA,$7F
DIRCOLORS=$B8,$8A,$BE,$8E

"Eddy VBXE" theme for FRAMES. The result:

obraz.thumb.png.afde0270abfd0b2e9dabc02e5679d100.png

32 rows :D

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, drac030 said:

Example SC.INI settings:

VIDEO=2,7
CURDIR=none
COLORS=$0C,$90,$9A,$BE,$EE
PCOLORS=$FA,$7F
DIRCOLORS=$B8,$8A,$BE,$8E

"Eddy VBXE" theme for FRAMES. The result:

obraz.thumb.png.afde0270abfd0b2e9dabc02e5679d100.png

32 rows :D

Like Dopus on the Amiga, I don't really tend to use such file managers often, preferring to rely on the CLI. However I must say, that color scheme looks really nice, gonna have to try that.

Is that built into DOS of do I need to download it?

OK, newbie question time...

I want to try VBXE 80 columns mode on SpartaDOS X, I assume in order to do so I need to utilize drivers as outlined in the manual, however I'm having no luck. The hardware is enabled in Altirra and in the U1MB setup.

Is there some SpartaDOS toolkit with a /DRIVERS directory I'm missing here? If so, where do I find it?

11 minutes ago, explorer said:

Is KDE Neon better than Linux Mint KDE version?

IMO yes. Mainly because KDE Neon is rolling release regarding the DE so you get newer features earlier, secondly because KDE Neon is lean on install - It doesn't even come with Libre Office installed by default, and thirdly because I don't find releases by the Mint team that stable - I have had issues in the past regarding Mint Cinnamon.

• Like 1

VBXE.SYS is a minimal driver which only tests the presence of VBXE, informs where its registers are there, and setups shadow registers for them.

To use SC you need to load S_VBXE.SYS driver. To use 80-column CLI console, you need yet to load CON.SYS driver on top of that.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, drac030 said:

VBXE.SYS is a minimal driver which only tests the presence of VBXE, informs where its registers are there, and setups shadow registers for them.

To use SC you need to load S_VBXE.SYS driver. To use 80-column CLI console, you need yet to load CON.SYS driver on top of that.

Oh dear Gawd thank you!

7VdtofK.png