IGNORED

My first A8 (emulated) complete with U1MB and SIDE2

Mazzspeed

OK, I've looked at my Altirra U1MB setup, and I think I have things setup right there.

image.thumb.png.814d43ac49930c33373de22da1c67e36.png

It's just that I don't seem to have a drive setup on the emulated hardware. I'm pretty sure I just don't have things setup properly on the PBI BIOS and Hard Disk screen, and this is where I'm completely lost.

Unless someone can give me a quick and dirty training session on this, I think I need to refer back to the U1MB manuals for some details here.

image.thumb.png.a24a44e84783ae204f85f532f4c98560.png

3 minutes ago, bfollowell said:

OK, I've looked at my Altirra U1MB setup, and I think I have things setup right there.

image.thumb.png.814d43ac49930c33373de22da1c67e36.png

It's just that I don't seem to have a drive setup on the emulated hardware. I'm pretty sure I just don't have things setup properly on the PBI BIOS and Hard Disk screen, and this is where I'm completely lost.

Unless someone can give me a quick and dirty training session on this, I think I need to refer back to the U1MB manuals for some details here.

imageproxy.php?img=&key=f4dcc336a70d5c68image.thumb.png.a24a44e84783ae204f85f532f4c98560.png

Here's my settings:

E45IWVC.png

Once configured, you still have to use fdisk to partition your CF drive and then you need to use the format command to format your newly partitioned drive.

19 minutes ago, bfollowell said:

Well, it looks like we're setup pretty much the same.

I'd tried FDISK, but to no avail. I try to start, then I get this

image.thumb.png.dd1a1dfbb88068caea3c2c6e152a45fe.png

Which continues on for a few seconds before failing and giving me this message

image.thumb.png.e7b0aa92ff6def4163f7e08826d877e2.png

I don't have my boot drive set up as APT. What happens if you press L on boot, do you see the loader and does it find anything at all?

When running fdisk you should see this:

yrT8aQF.png

32 minutes ago, Mazzspeed said:

I don't have my boot drive set up as APT. What happens if you press L on boot, do you see the loader and does it find anything at all?

When running fdisk you should see this:

I changed mine to D1: like you had before I took those screenshots. The results are the same either way. Also, when going into loader I have no device, no media.

I'm wondering if it has something to do with the way I setup my vhd file. How did you set yours up?

9 minutes ago, bfollowell said:

I changed mine to D1: like you had before I took those screenshots. The results are the same either way. Also, when going into loader I have no device, no media.

I'm wondering if it has something to do with the way I setup my vhd file. How did you set yours up?

Ah! I know the answer to this, I found it in one of FJC's posts but I can't find the setting in Altirra. You have to untick a box in Altirra which is the same as toggling a switch on the side of the SIDE2 cart...

3 minutes ago, Mazzspeed said:

Ah! I know the answer to this, I found it in one of FJC's posts but I can't find the setting in Altirra. You have to untick a box in Altirra which is the same as toggling a switch on the side of the SIDE2 cart...

Maybe that's part of the problem too. I don't have a SIDE2 setup as a device on mine. I'm using a CF3 drive. Maybe I should try the SIDE2, then I can play with the CF3 later, if I have luck with the SIDE2.

Actually. Are you running the latest U1MB and SIDE2 roms from https://atari8.co.uk/firmware/ultimate-1mb/

I was originally running earlier roms and it caused issues regarding CF detection. Also, go to system > console switches and make sure enable sdx cart is disabled. Also check that 'ATR swap button' is enabled in the U1MB BIOS.

4 minutes ago, bfollowell said:

Maybe that's part of the problem too. I don't have a SIDE2 setup as a device on mine. I'm using a CF3 drive. Maybe I should try the SIDE2, then I can play with the CF3 later, if I have luck with the SIDE2.

That's how I'm doing it, I missed that in your devices configuration. Add a SIDE2.

8 minutes ago, drac030 said:

Seemingly nothing is wrong there, what happens?

When i entered 'con 80' it stayed in 40 columns. I worked it out, I had to go to system > configure system and disable 'D: patch (Disk SIO)'. For some reason if that option is enabled under Altirra config.sys is ignored.

Edited by Mazzspeed

21 minutes ago, bfollowell said:

I'm using a CF3 drive. Maybe I should try the SIDE2, then I can play with the CF3 later, if I have luck with the SIDE2.

That would help, since the PBI BIOS for the SIDE2 will not drive the XEL-CF. This explains why you're not seeing the HDD. The two devices have registers at completely different addresses.

To use the XEL-CF on a non-1088XEL/XLD system, you need to flash the standard U1MB firmware but then apply the XEL plugin, PBI BIOS, and loader.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, flashjazzcat said:

That would help, since the PBI BIOS for the SIDE2 will not drive the XEL-CF. This explains why you're not seeing the HDD. The two devices have registers at completely different addresses.

To use the XEL-CF on a non-1088XEL/XLD system, you need to flash the standard U1MB firmware but then apply the XEL plugin, PBI BIOS, and loader.

Ah, I see. I'll try to get the SIDE2 ROMs then and add that device, then see if I have any better luck. I just want to setup an emulated system that is fairly close to my 1088XEL setup for tinkering and experimenting before making changes to my real setup.

12 minutes ago, DrVenkman said:

APT? Nope. 

Actually APT is a container ("slice" in Unix terminology, if I am not mistaken) which contains Atari partitions and occupies one primary partition slot in IBM-compatible MBR. If another slot is occupied by a FAT16 partition, that one could be linked to from within APT as "external" one, and will be accessible for reads to SDX (using the FATFS drivery). Also this should be directly mountable under Windows. I recall that I once or twice did that and it worked.

2 minutes ago, Mazzspeed said:

Ugh.

Is there any way I can add a device under Altirra to easily transfer software from the host OS to the emulated machine?

Altirra can mount any folder on your computer as a virtual drive. I usually drag stuff I want to use to my Windows Desktop, mount the Desktop as D2: or D3:, then just copy what I want using SDX. 

2 minutes ago, DrVenkman said:

Altirra can mount any folder on your computer as a virtual drive. I usually drag stuff I want to use to my Windows Desktop, mount the Desktop as D2: or D3:, then just copy what I want using SDX. 

At the risk of sounding really stupid, are you able to provide a quick rundown of the process under Altirra?

Just now, Mazzspeed said:

At the risk of sounding really stupid, are you able to provide a quick rundown of the process under Altirra?

Sure. From Altirra, press ALT-D to open the disk window. From there, click the little arrow next to the drive slot you want to use and a context menu will pop up. Select whichever format you might want to use (Atari DOS or SpartaDOS File System) when you mount the folder. Once you click your choice, a standard Windows Explorer window will pop up to let you navigate to the folder you want to use.

image.thumb.png.2ce04e340d7e90301e5d2ea54e7639a7.png

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, DrVenkman said:

Sure. From Altirra, press ALT-D to open the disk window. From there, click the little arrow next to the drive slot you want to use and a context menu will pop up. Select whichever format you might want to use (Atari DOS or SpartaDOS File System) when you mount the folder. Once you click your choice, a standard Windows Explorer window will pop up to let you navigate to the folder you want to use.

image.thumb.png.2ce04e340d7e90301e5d2ea54e7639a7.png

You are awesome, I couldn't see that for looking! Thank you so very much, that makes life so much easier!