IGNORED

Removing goo from motherboard?

CommodoreDecker

So the keyboard controller on my secondhand 800XL started to act up as the top row of keys, from 7 onward, no longer respond. :(  

I opened up the case, and much to my not-quite-delight everything's soldered. How peachy...

My next thought was to move the UAV and RAM expansion to my other 800XL, the one with sockets for every chip.

That's when I noticed what looks like the byproduct of an elephant sneezing holding these boards in place.

Is there an easy way to remove that goo? I'm fairly certain it's some form of epoxy...

Now that I look at the board more closely, a chip under the RAM expansion might have corroded circuit traces, making me more eager to move these components to another 800XL.

Also, can anyone identify the RAM module and can it be used in, say, a 130XE?

Thanks much!! 

20210122_062715.jpg

20210122_062708.jpg

If that’s epoxy, it’s not coming off without damage. If it’s hot glue, you can try heating it up to soften it + isopropyl to remove the upgrades, then a combo of heat, isopropyl and elbow grease to remove any residue from the board and the upgrade pieces you want to salvage. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, DrVenkman said:

If that’s epoxy, it’s not coming off without damage. If it’s hot glue, you can try heating it up to soften it + isopropyl to remove the upgrades, then a combo of heat, isopropyl and elbow grease to remove any residue from the board and the upgrade pieces you want to salvage. 

Thanks for info!  

The goo is a little soft to the touch, is epoxy rock solid or will it have a little give when touched?

Heating it up with a soldering iron?  I've one with an xacto knife tip that might make things a little easier...  

If that's hot glue (and I really hope for your sake that it is), there's enough of it on there that you might be able to take a Dremel with a cutting wheel through the middle of it before attempting to heat and remove it.  If this allows you to separate either the RAM upgrade or UAV board from the main PCB before tackling the adhesive, your cleanup job will be a lot easier.

Edited by x=usr(1536)
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, CommodoreDecker said:

The goo is a little soft to the touch, is epoxy rock solid or will it have a little give when touched?

Epoxy is generally solid to the touch, though that depends on the formulation of the epoxy.

It looks like it's probably hot glue, but I wouldn't want to swear to that from a distance.

• Like 1

The RAM upgrade is a Wizztronics 256K board from the likes of Best Electronics. Compatible with Claus Buchholz' 256K design, RAMBO, etc. (64K base + 192K extended) Notice the original 4x64 DRAMs have been swapped out for 4x256's...

This is not compatible with 130XE - which already has 64+64K=128K.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, x=usr(1536) said:

If that's hot glue (and I really hope for your sake that it is), there's enough of it on there that you might be able to take a Dremel with a cutting wheel through the middle of it before attempting to heat and remove it.  If this allows you to separate either the RAM upgrade or UAV board from the main PCB, your cleanup job will be a lot easier.

Much thanks!!

I'll get my Dremel out of the cupboard and attempt over the weekend when I'm proper decaffeinated as well...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CommodoreDecker said:

Much thanks!!

I'll get my Dremel out of the cupboard and attempt over the weekend when I'm proper decaffeinated as well...

No worries ?  Might want to go at it with an X-Acto knife or similar first - if it's soft enough to cut with a blade, start there and see how far you get. Far less risk of accidentally damaging something you'd rather not.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Nezgar said:

The RAM upgrade is a Wizztronics 256K board from the likes of Best Electronics. Compatible with Claus Buchholz' 256K design, RAMBO, etc. (64K base + 192K extended) Notice the original 4x64 DRAMs have been swapped out for 4x256's...

This is not compatible with 130XE - which already has 64+64K=128K.

Much thanks for info! That saves me, among other things, needless work.  With luck I can still transfer these items to my other 800XL. 

If it's hot glue, don't try cutting it or anything.  Just keep dousing it with 90% or greater isopropyl alcohol, and it will complete lose adhesion.  Alcohol will not hurt the PCB or any of the mods, so don't be afraid to really get it wet.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Stephen said:

If it's hot glue, don't try cutting it or anything.  Just keep dousing it with 90% or greater isopropyl alcohol, and it will complete lose adhesion.  Alcohol will not hurt the PCB or any of the mods, so don't be afraid to really get it wet.

Huh.  I'll be damned.  Never heard of this before, and am slightly surprised I never thought to try it until now.  Worked like a charm, at least on the capacitor I just freed from its surly hot-glued bonds.  Definitely keeping this in mind for future use.

https://www.jimkeefe.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/The-More-You-Know.png

• Like 2

Isn't the problem that is being discussed one with the keyboard.  No keyboard components are anywhere near that glue mess.  "the top row of keys, from 7 onward, no longer respond"   Sounds like a keyboard or 4051 issue.  Yes I know the subject is how to remove that glue stuff, but has the keyboard issue been fixed?