IGNORED

Team Pixelboy's Spelunker homebrew Review

kynrek

The first time I played Spelunker was on the NES and found it to be extremely difficult but also addicting. I can't really explain why a game that can be so frustrating also has that one more go appeal. Since the game was one of my favorites on NES and I really like the box art I decided to pick up a copy of Team Pixelboy's version on the Colecovision.

Game play:

I felt like the Colecovision version was a bit easier overall (which is a welcome difference for me as I am not that good). This version was a bit more forgiving in the distance that you can fall without dying. The stalactites seemed to be spaced out further and the minecart seemed to move slower making it easier to control.

Graphics:

The graphics and sounds being both impressive for the Colecovison and pretty similar to the NES. I really like the two tone color of the walls and floor of he cave.

Controls:

The controls seem simpler and less tricky than what I remember on the NES. I felt like jumping off of a rope was more straightforward in this version which was a plus for me.

Sound:

The sound is similar to the NES version and I have a love/hate relationship with it. I enjoy the music in the game but it gets repetitive after a few rounds. I really wish there was a way to turn off the background music but keep the helpful sound effects. The warning sound for health and the tune is plays before the ghost appears are really helpful. The repetitive sound for the bat doesn't help me as I only hear it when he visible (and apparent) anyway. Sometimes I find the bat sound annoying if he happens to be on screen for an extended period of time if I have to ride elevators etc. My criticism is really about the design choices of the original developers, not team pixelboy's implementation (which seems to be spot on).

Overall:

Since the Colecovision version is on-par with the NES in terms of graphics and sound and seems easier overall, I think this may be my new preferred version of the game!

I made are review video showing the box, manual, and cartridge along with gameplay footage (captured from my Collectorvision Phoenix) so I thought I would share it here:

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, kynrek said:

The controls seem simpler and less tricky than what I remember on the NES. I felt like jumping off of a rope was more straightforward in this version which was a plus for me.

Jumping off ropes is actually something I asked to be fixed from the original MSX version. Doing it the original way was way too much trouble with the stock ColecoVision controller, so we simplified it, and the game is way better for it.  :)

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Pixelboy said:

Jumping off ropes is actually something I asked to be fixed from the original MSX version. Doing it the original way was way too much trouble with the stock ColecoVision controller, so we simplified it, and the game is way better for it.  :)

Absolutely! Nice work.