IGNORED

New Atari ST/E Mega ST/E hard disk interface

This week I was building a reduced PCB size version of ACSI2STM,

Some hard disk writing problems were found due to my STE machine, the old history as you know; directions indicated that a low power CPU version can help on solve the original EMC problem that corrupts output data for STE machines; due to this I used a previously made hard disk image, in order to prevent writing to hard disk from my STE

Results: The ACSI2STM works perfectly; loading the 3.5 MB size of current Metal Slug port takes around 12 seconds (aprox. 300 KB/s).
Tested against old SD cards, such 1 GB card; 4 GB SDHC and 8 GB SDHC. All these are detected and works correctly!

Photographs of the hard disk interface:

attachment.php?attachmentid=54182&d=1611

attachment.php?attachmentid=54183&d=1611

attachment.php?attachmentid=54186&d=1611

attachment.php?attachmentid=54185&d=1611

attachment.php?attachmentid=54184&d=1611

attachment.php?attachmentid=54181&d=1611

attachment.php?attachmentid=54180&d=1611

The hard disk image (DOS & TOS compatible, readable on Windows) I used:  http://atari.8bitchip.info/DiskImgPP1.html

You can use Win32DiskImager (Windows) in order to write it.

The ST / STE with a hard disk is another world!

P.S. Additional materials were bought, more units can be manufactured,

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Hellraiser said:

This is a cool little device.

If you build some more to sell; how much would it cost?

Idea is to provide this device at a lower price than Satan, and much much lower than UltraSatan

Performance testing: (I removed some non needed printf on the code, gain is around 6 - 8 KB/s more).

SDHC 8 GB:

attachment.php?attachmentid=54192&d=1611

SDHC 4 GB

attachment.php?attachmentid=54193&d=1611

Normal SD 1 GB

attachment.php?attachmentid=54194&d=1611

Performance depends on the SD card, some cards accept orders in less time than others.

How to power the device; standar ST joystick port do not provide enough current in order to write to the hard disk; it is better to power it from the micro USB port with any mobile phone charger.

3 hours ago, Chri O. said:

I did the porting of the code to Teensy 3.5 but not sure about performance (didn't build the Hardware yet)  ?

Hi, do you have your port to teensy 3.5 available on GitHub ? I was considering a port to Teensy too (maybe even Teensy 4.x with level converters).

• 4 weeks later...

Hey MST - Have you tried using Jookie's driver with that device? He has a demo version we can try : It MAY yield faster transfer rate : http://joo.kie.sk/?page_id=266

Also - I have done some vids with this device on my YT channel : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAVWgxXEerFi51JI8SWDP5w

I'm currently Waiting for my UART to USB. I'll do some further tests and vids with it ( and try Jookie's driver ) when it I update the firmware.

Pretty cool product

That's not Jookie's driver. It's only presented on his site. And in case of DMA/ACSI adapters transfer rate actually does not depend from driver SW. It depends from DMA chip max speed (what is btw. not correctly given in Atari DOCs) + used adapter. For instance Jookie's first design Satandisk transfer rate is about 150 KB/sec, with same driver that can over 1 MB/sec on UltraSatan - and max rate depends from used SD card type too in case of UltraSatan - funnily I got best with 1 GB Kingston, and with newer, larger capacity ones it is about 900 KB/sec in most cases - and I use brand cards.

Since my transfer speed test program is shown here, just to add that will see some difference between Direct HW access speed and speed of Logical drives (partitions) . The reason for it is filesystem in TOS what adds some delays. And that is more in old TOS 1.00 and 1.02 than in 1.04 and later, for instance.

And with combined R/W tests you can see how much lower is transfer speed of small data chunks/files.

I still have to finish build this, currently I have a 1Gb SCSI hard drive on an ICD interface, with ICD Pro, can anyone tell

me what the partition sizes need/can be, my hard drive was formatted when I had my original 520STM with the older TOS,

I think 32Mb Partitions, but want to use this device on my STE with upgraded TOS 2.06 and am not sure what the limits for partition size are. 

39 minutes ago, TGB1718 said:

I still have to finish build this, currently I have a 1Gb SCSI hard drive on an ICD interface, with ICD Pro, can anyone tell

me what the partition sizes need/can be, my hard drive was formatted when I had my original 520STM with the older TOS,

I think 32Mb Partitions, but want to use this device on my STE with upgraded TOS 2.06 and am not sure what the limits for partition size are. 

 Up to 256MB for TOS < 1.04

 Up to 512MB for TOS ≥ 1.04

 Up to 2GB for TOS ≥ 4.x (Falcon)

EDIT: Source

Edited by snarkdluG

Falcon:  TOS 4.02 max 512 MB.  TOS 4.04 max 1 GB .

This is true I am using 1GB Jaz Drive (scsi 2) currently on my Falcon 030 TOS 4.04, format compatible with WIN 10 for easy file transfer.

Just love this sound of the Jaz SCSI drive ?.

The biggest issues I had is trying to install SCSI adapter on WIN10. On my non PCI mother board I was able to install Adaptec SCSI 2940AU Card and the drivers ( Many thanks for this instructions ) using PCI Express to PCI Adapter Card.

Edited by Chri O.

21 hours ago, ParanoidLittleMan said:

That's not Jookie's driver. It's only presented on his site. And in case of DMA/ACSI adapters transfer rate actually does not depend from driver SW. It depends from DMA chip max speed (what is btw. not correctly given in Atari DOCs) + used adapter. For instance Jookie's first design Satandisk transfer rate is about 150 KB/sec, with same driver that can over 1 MB/sec on UltraSatan - and max rate depends from used SD card type too in case of UltraSatan - funnily I got best with 1 GB Kingston, and with newer, larger capacity ones it is about 900 KB/sec in most cases - and I use brand cards.

Since my transfer speed test program is shown here, just to add that will see some difference between Direct HW access speed and speed of Logical drives (partitions) . The reason for it is filesystem in TOS what adds some delays. And that is more in old TOS 1.00 and 1.02 than in 1.04 and later, for instance.

And with combined R/W tests you can see how much lower is transfer speed of small data chunks/files.

This is why we call you " The Great One " :)  Thanks for straightening that out, PLM.

Edited by Paul Westphal

Ok -

My Mega ST4 TOS 1.04 / 4gb Sandisk Class 4 transfer speed is  277 kb/s

My 4 MB STe TOS 2.06 / 4gb Sandisk Class 4 transfer speed is 278.

Most games run fine!

This is without the firmware update from Feb 19th. I'm still waiting for the UART to USB converter.

As it stands, DMA sound is working .. but with mixed results. Megablast intro music plays, but there is no ingame.. it just goes back to the menu.

The " Signal's " Demo runs for a bit then starts to skip. I DID make it though the first song, once.

The Bad Apple Demo played for a bit but bombed out after 40 seconds.

Getting Bad Apple, Sea of Color, Talk Talk 2 and US Policy to all run, is my goal.

I'll track down a quality 1gb card and see what I get.

Thanks to all involved in this project, dirctly and indirectly.

sig_ste.zip

Edited by Paul Westphal

• 1 month later...

I managed to finish building one of these, but so far been unable to get it to see the SD card partitions, I've

tried the evaluation version of HHDriver and PPHDUTIL to try before I buy, but neither could see the cards, I

tried 2 different SanDisk SD Cards, first I partitioned and formatted under Windows, no joy, then I copied a

disk image linked on this site, this also failed, I formatted the second card under Windows, still no joy.

I created the partitions 32Mb for C and the others 500Mb, this is an STE with TOS 2.06UK.

When I try the install or scan hard drives, the activity LED blinks on the device, but says "Write Failed"

Any other drivers or ideas I could try 

9 hours ago, TGB1718 said:

I managed to finish building one of these, but so far been unable to get it to see the SD card partitions, I've

tried the evaluation version of HHDriver and PPHDUTIL to try before I buy, but neither could see the cards, I

tried 2 different SanDisk SD Cards, first I partitioned and formatted under Windows, no joy, then I copied a

disk image linked on this site, this also failed, I formatted the second card under Windows, still no joy.

I created the partitions 32Mb for C and the others 500Mb, this is an STE with TOS 2.06UK.

When I try the install or scan hard drives, the activity LED blinks on the device, but says "Write Failed"

Any other drivers or ideas I could try 

It's not driver SW problem for sure. And you can not create with Windows or any other OS partitions good for this.

Get image with demo version of driver and games, and write to SD card properly (not as file copy):

https://www.mediafire.com/file/77nh2flbsc4wqia/6PartGm.rar/file

If that works not, most likely adapter can not work with those SD cards.

On 2/27/2021 at 9:56 PM, Paul Westphal said:

What is the fastest theoretical read speed of the drive?

You mean SD card on Atari - generally, or via this adapter ?

Generally, pick max speed of Atari  ACSI/DMA port is 2 MB/sec . With real files it is about 1.8-1.9 MB/sec.

As I see, ACSI2SD can max some 280 KB/sec .

That's why some - for  instance Xenon 2 with audio track fails - needs better speed.

• Like 1

Just an update, after trying again with no joy, I managed to get the Serial debugger running on the STM32 on pins A9 and A10.

this is the output:-

So it looks like something wrong with the SD card module, will re-check the wiring, and replace the module if I have to, hope

it's the wiring as getting this off the board will be a real pain.

Initializing ACSI bus ...
ACSI bus ready
Initializing SD card 0
Cannot init SD card
Initializing SD card 1
Cannot init SD card
Initializing SD card 2
Cannot init SD card
Initializing SD card 3
Cannot init SD card
Initializing SD card 4
Cannot init SD card
Initializing SD card 5
Cannot init SD card
Initializing SD card 6
Cannot init SD card
Initializing SD card 7
Cannot init SD card
0 SD cards found

--- Ready to go ---

Are you sure you have all your SD card pins connected correctly, the (CS) chip select pins ?

|09|                      |
|__|                      |

Use this table to match pins on the SD card port and the STM32:

SD	STM32	PIN
01	PA4 *	CS
02	PA7	MOSI
03	GND	VSS
04	+3.3V	VDD
05	PA5	CLK
06	GND	VSS
07	PA6	MISO
08	(nc)	RSV
09	(nc)	RSV

If you want to use multiple SD cards, connect all SD card pins to the same STM32 pins except CS (SD pin 1).

Here is the table that indicates the STM32 pin for each CS pin of the different SD cards:

ACSI ID	STM32	Connect to
0	PA4	SD 0 pin 1 or GND
1	PA3	SD 1 pin 1 or GND
2	PA2	SD 2 pin 1 or GND
3	PA1	SD 3 pin 1 or GND
4	PB0	SD 4 pin 1 or GND
5	PB1	SD 5 pin 1 or GND
6	PB3	SD 6 pin 1 or GND
7	PB4	SD 7 pin 1 or GND
In order to detect if a SD card reader is present or not, connect unused pins in the table above to GND.

For example, if you want 3 SD cards detected on ACSI IDs 0, 1 and 5:

Connect PA4 to pin 1 of the first SD card.
Connect PA3 to pin 1 of the second SD card.
Connect PB1 to pin 1 of the third SD card.
Connect PA2, PA1, PB0, PB3 and PB4 to GND.