IGNORED

SGM Games on the ADAM

Tempest

If my understanding is correct, the SGM adds 32K RAM and an AY-3-8910 sound chip to the Colecovision.  As the ADAM already has 32K of RAM (or more with RAM cards), all the ADAM needs to mimic the SGM is the AY-3-8910 chip.  Is this correct?  I think someone had actually built a AY-3-8910 interface for the ADAM, but I'm not sure if that was compatible with SGM games or not (that and I don't know if it was ever really available to buy).   Did anyone ever make an 'SGM lite' for the ADAM that only contained the sound chip?  I personally always hoped for an SGM on a card for the ADAM, but I doubt enough people would care to make something like that a reality.

A board with only the AY-3-8910 should work for most games (not sure if you can map the SGM's sound ports to the pins on an ADAM expansion card though) but the SGM has a feature to run in "full 32K of RAM" mode, meaning that the Coleco BIOS is replaced with 8K of RAM, and you won't get that feature with a sound-chip-only board. I know Gauntlet runs in this mode, not sure if there are any others (probably very few).

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Pixelboy said:

A board with only the AY-3-8910 should work for most games (not sure if you can map the SGM's sound ports to the pins on an ADAM expansion card though) but the SGM has a feature to run in "full 32K of RAM" mode, meaning that the Coleco BIOS is replaced with 8K of RAM, and you won't get that feature with a sound-chip-only board. I know Gauntlet runs in this mode, not sure if there are any others (probably very few).

Good to know.  Did anyone actually sell a AY-3-8910 on a board?  I saw a picture of one, but I don't know if it was actually sold.

A couple people created an ADAM AY-3-8910 Interface Card that connects to the side Expansion Interface, but no one has gone the route of an internal expansion card. Unfortunately the 3 internal expansions slots do not have all the lines running to them like the External Interface Bus does and each is configured differently so no idea if one of the three is setup with all the necessary lines. Another drawback to going the internal route is that most ADAM users have 1-3 of these slots already populated with an interface card:

Slot #1 - ADAMLink Modem, IDE Interface, Serial Interface

Slot #2 - Parallel Interface, Memory Addressor, Multi-Purpose Interface

Slot #3 - Memory Expanders from 64K to 1024K

So if someone was to make an internal AY-3-8910 interface card, depending on the slot that might be compatible, they would also need to include additional functionality if it was to be produced in quantity and offered for sale as I am certain people wouldn't want to have to swap out cards all the time for the desired purpose especially since the external SGM is available and a 6th run is under way.

As was mentioned, a fair amount of SGM games actually check to see if the SGM is connected and do not work if it is not found.

36 minutes ago, Tempest said:

Oh well.  I guess I was hoping for a cheaper 'SGM Lite' for the ADAM since it already has some of the SGM functionality.

the ay board work with all the sgm game i have tested and i have most of them.. gauntlet works too... maybe the game will crash at some point didnt play that much... the ay board is a cheap solution if you build it your self.. if you buy from someone with shipping i think you should buy a sgm... 

20181115_193704.jpg

Edited by chart45

1 hour ago, chart45 said:

the ay board work with all the sgm game i have tested and i have most of them.. gauntlet works too... maybe the game will crash at some point didnt play that much... the ay board is a cheap solution if you build it your self.. if you buy from someone with shipping i think you should buy a sgm... 

20181115_193704.jpg

Interesting.  Where did you get yours? 

How much does the SGM run vs one of these boards?

31 minutes ago, Tempest said:

you will get 10 pcb for less than 10$ if you order them from china ...  ic can be found on ebay for maybe 15$ ... sgm is 90$ i think... but you get a freaking nice device with case and box.. they make a special adam color run right now 

46 minutes ago, Tempest said:

Kinda pointless as chart45 explains. Opcode sells a complete in box and housed in case SGM for $90 plus shipping. The 6th run is under way and includes a limited run of Adam beige colored cases.

If you still want an AY Interface, the information is available to build them and numerous skilled people in the community that can build them. But I have to honestly ask, why stir the pot as has been done in the past? Everyone has seen and read the commotion that ensues and are tired of it as I am sure you are from reading your posts in the He-Man thread.

14 minutes ago, NIAD said:

Kinda pointless as chart45 explains. Opcode sells a complete in box and housed in case SGM for $90 plus shipping. The 6th run is under way and includes a limited run of Adam beige colored cases.

Ah ok, I didn't realize it was that cheap (I was thinking it was much more than that for some reason).  Is there a pre-order for that or did I miss it?

3 hours ago, Tempest said:

Ah ok, I didn't realize it was that cheap (I was thinking it was much more than that for some reason).  Is there a pre-order for that or did I miss it?

I think (maybe I am wrong) that you can still preorder...just have to sign up for the Opcode Newsletter!!

https://opcodegames.us9.list-manage.com/subscribe?u=ef7be83c593bc1d831a827842&id=8ed2c58e0f

25 minutes ago, lawdawg710 said:

I think (maybe I am wrong) that you can still preorder...just have to sign up for the Opcode Newsletter!!

https://opcodegames.us9.list-manage.com/subscribe?u=ef7be83c593bc1d831a827842&id=8ed2c58e0f

I just did that.  Hopefully I'll get something soon.

• Like 1

I just ordered the Adam coloured SGM. I do not have the AtariMax cart. I will be using the ADE on my Adam to load SGM .ROMs.

Does anyone have a list of the SGM games that will work like this and a list of games that need the AtariCarts logic to work?

I know that the ADE can handle 32k roms but I am just not sure if they work when loaded in this manner

Edited by rietveld

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/17/2021 at 3:23 PM, Tempest said:

Still haven't heard back.  I guess he doesn't want to take my money. ;)

Just replied. Since I don't visit AA regularly anymore, the best way to reach out is support @ opcodegames . com.

Also, I suggest you subscribe to our email newsletter here: https://opcodegames.us9.list-manage.com/subscribe?u=ef7be83c593bc1d831a827842&id=8ed2c58e0f

or better yet, please consider becoming an Opcode Super Game member: image.thumb.png.61a5b7b00ac9b911848b4ea44f4bcd52.png

Thank you! :D :D