IGNORED

Geneve 9640 - Configuration questions over questions

Schmitzi

Hi,

I am (slowly ? ) rebuilding my PFM modded Geneve (384+192K) system and I really don´t know what controller/combination to use.

Can/should I use the HFDC for the harddrive only plus adding a BwG (or CC9900) for the (2+HxC) floppy disk drives ?

Makes that sense for an extra FDD-controller ? Maybe just to have it full or to prevent from any problems ?

I have some controllers, so it is not the question to save up one. And I have no need for formats bigger than 720KB.

I also want to add an HRD3000 Ramdisk, is it possible to boot from that, instead of the harddisk ?

Does this make sense at all ? Or just install it without boot, just to have it ?

Is there any use for the TripleTec-Card ? Speech maybe ?

And use the CC9900 floppy controller instead of the BwG ?

I also have the Myarc 512 KB RAM, but I think there is a special mod to be done, to use it in the Geneve ?

And I will add a RS232, maybe I take the Myarc instead of the TI (?)

I also have an ASCSI2-Controller, but I really do not want to use that because I want to keep my SNUG system complete.

(if anyone wants to get rid off a WHT-SCSI, I am your man) :grin:

What did I forget ?

thx

If needed, here is a picture:

1843852597_MyarcGeneve9640Cecure-PFM-RMS-22.thumb.JPG.eb84030c5ee98495ab4d4adb713037ad.JPG

More detailed here:

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/315250-ti-994a-show-your-modded-systems-here/?do=findComment&comment=4734298

Edited by Schmitzi
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Schmitzi said:

Hi,

I am (slowly ? ) rebuilding my PFM modded Geneve (384+192K) system and I really don´t know what controller/combination to use.

Can/should I use the HFDC for the harddrive only plus adding a BwG (or CC9900) for the (2+HxC) floppy disk drives ?

Makes that sense for an extra FDD-controller ? Maybe just to have it full or to prevent from any problems ?

I have some controllers, so it is not the question to save up one. And I have no need for formats bigger than 720KB.

I also want to add an HRD3000 Ramdisk, is it possible to boot from that, instead of the harddisk ?

Does this make sense at all ? Or just install it without boot, just to have it ?

Is there any use for the TripleTec-Card ? Speech maybe ?

And use the CC9900 floppy controller instead of the BwG ?

I also have the Myarc 512 KB RAM, but I think there is a special mod to be done, to use it in the Geneve ?

And I will add a RS232, maybe I take the Myarc instead of the TI (?)

I also have an ASCSI2-Controller, but I really do not want to use that because I want to keep my SNUG system complete.

(if anyone wants to get rid off a WHT-SCSI, I am your man) :grin:

What did I forget ?

I would use the Myarc HFDC with the Geneve and hook up any floppies to it.  With PFM, you will need to split MDOS into two files for V 6.50, and for the upcoming 7.2+ Version, it will be split into three files.  The larger image (120K) loads into the PFM, with the other two files executed from the command line interpreter.  If you don't have a SCSI, IDE, or TIPI in your system, I am not sure there is a need to upgrade beyond V6.50 at present.

I don't know that you can use the tripletech card, but you can use the rave speech card adapter.  Depends if you have anything that would use speech.

Myarc 512K card needs modification.  I did the modification on my card.  Not easy, but not overly difficult except my eyesight is no longer what it  used to be for the fine soldering needed.

Any RS232 card is ok.

Beery

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, BeeryMiller said:

I would use the Myarc HFDC with the Geneve and hook up any floppies to it.  With PFM, you will need to split MDOS into two files for V 6.50, and for the upcoming 7.2+ Version, it will be split into three files.  The larger image (120K) loads into the PFM, with the other two files executed from the command line interpreter.  If you don't have a SCSI, IDE, or TIPI in your system, I am not sure there is a need to upgrade beyond V6.50 at present.

I don't know that you can use the tripletech card, but you can use the rave speech card adapter.  Depends if you have anything that would use speech.

Myarc 512K card needs modification.  I did the modification on my card.  Not easy, but not overly difficult except my eyesight is no longer what it  used to be for the fine soldering needed.

Any RS232 card is ok.

Beery

yes thanks. So I totally forgot about the IDE-controller that will arrive soon :)

Maybe I use one of this, plus HRD, plus TIPI...

But do I need the HDFC then in this system, at all ?

Is there any advantage (next to floppy formats) using the HDFC here, without harddisks ?

I only have one HDFC, but I have a spare BwG, a DDCC-1 (80-tracks) and a spare CC9900.

Wouldn´t it be better to swap this PFM-Geneve to the IDE-idea ;)  and to save the HDFC for another system ?

My next project will be to reorganize/rebuild my standard Geneve, but I thought the HDFC and the PFM-one together is much cooler

(I am not talking about temperatures, I mean temperament) :)

Schmitzi, my ideal Geneve setup, will be my PFM+Genny, with an HFDC and Scsi, and Ide, running a Drem Hd, Scsi2sd, and an Ide drive of some type. I will have a rave speech adapter, rs232, and 1  modified Myarc 512, and a Horizon 4000b Ramdisk. I do have a few working mfm, scsi, and ide drives, as well as a slew of ez135, and I omega drives and a ide super disk drive too.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Schmitzi said:

yes thanks. So I totally forgot about the IDE-controller that will arrive soon :)

Maybe I use one of this, plus HRD, plus TIPI...

But do I need the HDFC then in this system, at all ?

Is there any advantage (next to floppy formats) using the HDFC here, without harddisks ?

I only have one HDFC, but I have a spare BwG, a DDCC-1 (80-tracks) and a spare CC9900.

Wouldn´t it be better to swap this PFM-Geneve to the IDE-idea ;)  and to save the HDFC for another system ?

My next project will be to reorganize/rebuild my standard Geneve, but I thought the HDFC and the PFM-one together is much cooler

(I am not talking about temperatures, I mean temperament) :)

I do not think with a PFM-Geneve and IDE, you can successfully load the complete MDOS.  The problem being here is that MDOS is greater than the 120K available with the PFM setup you have.  Same issue I have. The IDE/SCSI/TIPI MDOS remainder code has not been loaded as part of the separate files and at the moment in the PFM, I know of no way to get around that hurdle.

Now, with a 1.0 Eprom which is not an option for the PFM, then you would have SCSI.  Not entirely sure if the way the V1.0 eprom was written if it would also pick up the LOAD/SYS from the hard drive to access to the IDE. 

If there is anyone running with a V1.0 eprom and an IDE controller without SCSI/HFDC, I hope they would chime in and report.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, RickyDean said:

Schmitzi, my ideal Geneve setup, will be my PFM+Genny, with an HFDC and Scsi, and Ide, running a Drem Hd, Scsi2sd, and an Ide drive of some type. I will have a rave speech adapter, rs232, and 1  modified Myarc 512, and a Horizon 4000b Ramdisk. I do have a few working mfm, scsi, and ide drives, as well as a slew of ez135, and I omega drives and a ide super disk drive too.

About the only thing I am missing in that configuration is the IDE, but hey, at over 128 GB of online storage with the TIPI, why would  I need more?  <grin>.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Is there any restriction with using Drive C : ? (Jumper on third DSx)

I can config my drives from 1 to 4 on the PFM-Geneve, but I only get "Device Error" if I try to use C :

Drive E: seems to be my Flash Drive (if I dont confuse that now, I am not there at the moment).

I tried with the DDCC-1 (which does not seem to be defective, but strange) and with the CC9900.

Edit: The MaArc DDCC-1 is 80-track-modded, but I tried it in an easy configuration,

all 4 jumpers to off ( = 40 track) and only 1 drive, the Teac FD-55B.

But the same is on the Corcomp 9900 controller: If I do an DIR C : the only way out is powering the machine off

45 minutes ago, Schmitzi said:

Edit: The MaArc DDCC-1 is 80-track-modded, but I tried it in an easy configuration,

all 4 jumpers to off ( = 40 track) and only 1 drive, the Teac FD-55B.

But the same is on the Corcomp 9900 controller: If I do an DIR C : the only way out is powering the machine off

Review the REMAP command and make sure you are specifying the correct drives to the respective drive #'s.  

Please specify what disk controllers you have and at which CRU's.  The HFDC has dip switches on it that will identify the drive type you have connected.  I think you also indicated you had a PFM, so please confirm as well.

By default, A:\, B:\, C:\, & D:\ default to DSK1, DSK2, DSK3, and DSK4.  However, with two floppy controllers, floppy controllers will fill slots A:\ through D:\ requiring REMAP to access HFDC floppies.  Then, you also need to Remap the PFM drive to a number which could be anywhere from 1 to 9.  It is possible with REMAP to override floppy controller drives A:\ through D:\ if you so desire.

Now, I would then use the ASSIGN command to ASSIGN E=HDS1:, ASSIGN F=HDS2, etc. for the drive letters (not drive numbers) to individual drive letters.  You can even use the ASSIGN command to ASSIGN E=DSK1: so that E: drive responds to DSK1, which could be a PFM flash drive that has been REMAP'ed to DSK1.  Please note the ASSIGN command at the end of the statement ends in a colon, not a period.

The REMAP and ASSIGN commands are really versatile to your needs.

If you specify what devices you have and at what CRU's, we should be able to give you the commands to add to your AUTOEXEC file to get everything mapped to the way you want to access your system.

Beery

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, BeeryMiller said:

Review the REMAP command and make sure you are specifying the correct drives to the respective drive #'s.  

Please specify what disk controllers you have and at which CRU's.  The HFDC has dip switches on it that will identify the drive type you have connected.  I think you also indicated you had a PFM, so please confirm as well.

By default, A:\, B:\, C:\, & D:\ default to DSK1, DSK2, DSK3, and DSK4.  However, with two floppy controllers, floppy controllers will fill slots A:\ through D:\ requiring REMAP to access HFDC floppies.  Then, you also need to Remap the PFM drive to a number which could be anywhere from 1 to 9.  It is possible with REMAP to override floppy controller drives A:\ through D:\ if you so desire.

Now, I would then use the ASSIGN command to ASSIGN E=HDS1:, ASSIGN F=HDS2, etc. for the drive letters (not drive numbers) to individual drive letters.  You can even use the ASSIGN command to ASSIGN E=DSK1: so that E: drive responds to DSK1, which could be a PFM flash drive that has been REMAP'ed to DSK1.  Please note the ASSIGN command at the end of the statement ends in a colon, not a period.

The REMAP and ASSIGN commands are really versatile to your needs.

If you specify what devices you have and at what CRU's, we should be able to give you the commands to add to your AUTOEXEC file to get everything mapped to the way you want to access your system.

Beery

yeah great !! thanks a lot. The drive C : was mapped to SCS1, so could not work :)

I´ve changed that with ASSIGN and it´s ok now with the CC9900-Controller (I only knew about REMAP)

(But have to do this ASSIGN C=DSK3: at every startup)

The Myarc DDCC-1 also seems to work so far, still have to try some more. Just small little test was OK now. Will post more next days.

Edit: DSK4 (D : ) with Lotharek HFE second virtual drive configured for 80 tracks (=720KB) works :)

Or lets say, in this moment a copy from A: to D : runs good. Will try to fill up the 720 KB later and then check on PC

ah yes, it´s PFM Geneve. Drive E: is DSK6 with some files (NO bootfiles so far, just DM, no /SYS´s. Just asking where it boots from ? ?)

Drive DSK5 is given, says RAMDISK, 1438 secs, is empty, can copy to, but drive will stay empty ?

Edit: There is some more struggle with remap, says "5E", but E: is DSK6...

I think I first have to tinker some more to get it clear into my head. just some time, no problem.

The HFDC does not work, in no way. CRU is 1100 (Off-On-On-On)

Drives configured in the MS (millesec) so as they are installed (8ms/40T), also tested the slowest (16ms/40T)

but absolut NO reaction on drive access. No red light, no clack, nothing.

But I have to say all the manuals that I have do not have any picture, nothing for the DIP switches, text only.

And describing text is very strange for me, almost not to understand.

The order is very struggling so maybe I confuse something. Also have to get that with some more time into my head maybe

Edit: just tried all switch positions of DIP 1/2 with a 360KB drive on A:, but no reactions.

So I think the HFDC is realy bricked :(

I will try more tomorrow, I will write here

thanks

• Like 1

OK, a REMAP 5E command maps DSK5 to the Internal Geneve Ramdisk.  It does NOT assign drive letter E: to DSK5.  There are a list of A through Z drive assignments now with the upcoming MDOS release, but I think only A through S drive assignments are available to your MDOS.

If you are at the MDOS prompt, you should be able to do the following:

REMAP 1J

This should assign HFDC Floppy 1 to DSK1.  HFDC Floppy in a Geneve system with two floppy controllers such as your setup, you must use the REMAP command to have access.  In a single floppy control setup, the Geneve operating system will autodetect the HFDC and knows to use the HFDC for DSK1 through DSK4. So, if you have not used the ASSIGN command previously, you should be able to do either of the following:

DIR A:\

DIR DSK1.

You can also type the following:

ASSIGN <enter>

This will then give you a drive assignment list for all the current available drive letters.  There is also a command LASTDRIVE that is a bit funny in its use if you want to expand drive letters (not DSK #'s) above I think it is drive J:\

There is also another command you need to use with a floppy only controller if you are using 80 tracks.  Look at the SETDSK command.

Hope this helps you.

Beery

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, BeeryMiller said:

Hope this helps you.

Beery

yes thanks, will have some looks on that now.

Not to confuse that, I have 1 floppycontroller only in my machine (the untested HFDC was the one that I wanted).

I took the CC9900 and the DDCC-1 just to test and confirm things (that the HFDC does not work)

But I will tinker around more today :)

xXx

Just a short update, I´ve got it all running with the 80-track DDCC-1 now :)  (The HDFC rally seems bricked ?  )

If have it configured in this way:

(/Edit:)

DSK1./A: 720KB - Virtual Lotharek HxC/HFE-Drive#1 (80T for full MDOS throttle :grin: )

DSK2./B: 360KB - external Texin´Treasures 3.5" (40T for compability reasons)

DSK3./C: 360KB - Virtual Lotharek HxC/HFE-Drive#2 (40T, for compability)

DSK4./D: 360KB - internal Teac FD-55B 5,25" (40T)

(/EndEdit)

My PFM seems to boot MDOS 5.0 from a hidden ghost drive :) (No /SYS-files on E:)

So, to boot the newer MDOS 6.50 with GPL files arranged by  @globeron , I made a virtual 720KB disk on my SD-Card/HFE#1

with all this files and some more tools (nice, silent and quick to have 720 KB on A:) :)

and I boot this by pressing Left-Shift at powerup.

I have to say "F" for ´Boot from Floppy´ there, and then to deny a question (something with ´updating Ramdisk´ or so)

and then it boots 6.50 fine, including my new autoexec with the ASSIGNs that @BeeryMiller told me about :thumbsup:

I think, for my first job on that machine this is OK so far, and tomorrow I will finaly mount the drives into the PEB,

and see what I can do for some more and better cooling. When recapping my DDCC-1 (thanks to @Dexter ) he

made this voltage regulator external, with a heatsink. I will try to mount that thing in the airstream of 1 of the 2 fans

that I have mounted to the front of the PEB (pics somewhere here above)

new pics will follow ?  :)

ACK ACK ACK and Over :grin:

PS: I think, I will forget about the HFDC and add an IDE-controller to the machine soon.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

ah, one more note ?

regarding the drive-config from the post here above ? , I had one strange thing with the HFE/V9T9-EMUdrive

and the TEAC FD-55-BR: (and some other real drives that I tested today, also with different jumpering)

( UI, U0, U1, SM, HS, MX, ML a.s.o. -

thanks to this tinkering work today, now I have a small knowledge at least, about what they mean and do)

When I had configured the @lotharek HFE#2 as Drive D : with 80Tracks

(now this is the working HFE#1, A: here in the post above),

means, when the second virtual HFE drive was BEHIND the real Teac 360KB (C : ) , (with 40 AND 80T)

then the Teac STOPPED working. There was absolutely NO way to get the real drive ? running

when the 2nd HFE was "logically!" (= D:/DSK4)  behind it.

A DIR just brings a clicking sound and then, after a while a "Device error" appeared.

I also tried some other, different controllers, other cables, other order on the cabels, and all. Not possible.

( That´s what brought me to the idea how it is configured now (Real Teac drive as D / DSK4)

Another issue now is, if I just switch off the external 3.5" (Texin´Treasures) drive,

(I added it after all this tries before, when all was finally up and running)

if I switch if off then the 720KB HFE#1 (A:) "answers", but just delivers total crap on all functions.....

But maybe this is normal, because the drive is connnected but powered off, at laest I could imagine that.

So this is just for info.

• Sad 1

OK, a few ideas.  Since you have had your HFDC in your system and it caused no harm, then I would suggest a couple of tests.

1.  Set HFDC CRU to >1000 and install.

2.  Boot MDOS using an AUTOEXEC that contains TIMODE if it is not already there.

3.  Load GPL and Editor Assembler.

4.  Go back to GPL screen (CTRL-SHIFT-SHIFT) and select Rompage mode.

5.  Go into Editor/Assembler Option #5.

6.  Load and run DU2K.  Don't confuse with DM2K.

7.  Look to see what devices it detects.  It should detect WDS1, etc. if it sees the HFDC DSR.

If it sees the HFDC DSR, then it is not totally bricked.  If it doesn't see it at all, then you have definitely some significant issues.  In this case, please post high quality photos and someone may be able to comment.

Take pictures of the pin settings on the Lotharek drive and post.  Someone may be able to spot dipswitch issues.  It has been a long time since I set mine up that is now not being used, but it seems there was either dipswitch settings or a config file that may need settings configured on either your USB or SD device.  I may be wrong on this, but check.  Maybe someone else can comment.

What kind of MFM drive are you wanting to use with the HFDC?  Are you using a MFM drive, or the MFM emulator (DREM)?  Or, no hard drive at all?

Now, regarding the PFM.  Is it the 384K or 512K version?  Do you have instructions for using and installing MDOS onto the PFM?  At this point, do not attempt to Save MDOS to the PFM as I think MDOS V5.0 and V6.5 are different size files, and if you have the 384K PFM, you can not install the complete version of MDOS on your setup.  I have the 384K PFM myself and there are some things you have to be careful doing.

Beery

19 hours ago, BeeryMiller said:

OK, a few ideas.

...... pls see my comments below

Beery

OK, a few ideas.  Since you have had your HFDC in your system and it caused no harm, then I would suggest a couple of tests.

1.  Set HFDC CRU to >1000 and install. yes, maybe I´ll get this done today

2.  Boot MDOS using an AUTOEXEC that contains TIMODE if it is not already there.

3.  Load GPL and Editor Assembler. What file do I take for loading the E/A ? Where from ? (Looking for XB too)

(I am sure I have all these files, I just don´t know which ones/which type...)

4.  Go back to GPL screen (CTRL-SHIFT-SHIFT) and select Rompage mode.

5.  Go into Editor/Assembler Option #5.

6.  Load and run DU2K.  Don't confuse with DM2K. oh yes, great idea, thx ! I used it a lot for checking DSR´s on the TI

7.  Look to see what devices it detects.  It should detect WDS1, etc. if it sees the HFDC DSR.

If it sees the HFDC DSR, then it is not totally bricked.  If it doesn't see it at all, then you have definitely some significant issues.  In this case, please post high quality photos and someone may be able to comment. This will bring the light :thumbsup:

Take pictures of the pin settings on the Lotharek drive and post.  Someone may be able to spot dipswitch issues.  It has been a long time since I set mine up that is now not being used, but it seems there was either dipswitch settings or a config file that may need settings configured on either your USB or SD device.  I may be wrong on this, but check.  Maybe someone else can comment.

Oh yes, in all this fight with the controller and drives, I totally forgot about that.

BUS I configured the .CFG for 2 drives, some days ago: (See here, from my CFG-file):

grafik.thumb.png.39bc1d8b844778d41d30ca8a279c0fb4.png

The DIP-switches are set as follows: ID0A and ID2B are ON (now)

While on error (last drive = Lotharek #2) it was ID0A and ID3B set to ON

Sorry no pic because drives mounted this night :) But here a pic from the manual, for better visualisation:

grafik.thumb.png.5becec6863d3e33de644a5abfd51d710.png

What kind of MFM drive are you wanting to use with the HFDC?  Are you using a MFM drive, or the MFM emulator (DREM)?  Or, no hard drive at all?

I am not sure at the moment, I have all type of drives and I have the DREM-Emu.

My latest idea was to use the HFDC for the big floppy drives and the new IDE for harddisk (we talked about before)

But I have no strict route, so please say me what is better) :)

Now, regarding the PFM.  Is it the 384K or 512K version?  Do you have instructions for using and installing MDOS onto the PFM?  At this point, do not attempt to Save MDOS to the PFM as I think MDOS V5.0 and V6.5 are different size files, and if you have the 384K PFM, you can not install the complete version of MDOS on your setup.  I have the 384K PFM myself and there are some things you have to be careful doing.

Yes it´s the 384K update "only", (and 192K video). (Can the 384K be updated to 512K ?)

And yes, I read your post here around talking about splitting the files (or so) so I already thought NOT to change anythng :) uih good luck

And no, I sadly have no instructions for the PFM handling but would love to have.

i.e. how can I copy a file/proggy to my E:-drive (which is small but very fast) ?

On copy, it does noot take any files.... I am sure this is part of the magic ;)

AH OK, I have found the small PFM+ PDF file now ?, I will study this soon.

But I miss some mentioned software like:

DISK2FILE & FLASHFIX

SCSISPLIT & SCSI4PFM (I can see SCSI4PFM in my AUTOEXEC, I think it comes from an older config)

and maybe more... (like LOADIMAGE for saveimage :grin: )

PFM+ instructions.pdf

BTW, what is the "File extension / F1 ... F10" thing ?

Beery

Thank you for support,

Ralf