IGNORED

5200 HSC Season 14 Round 2 - Donkey Kong Jr.

DamonicFury

Welcome to the second round of the 14th 5200 HSC season!  Donkey Kong Jr. won by two votes. Play using the default setting. Emulation is fine, as are custom controls. Pics preferred, but not required except for HSC wins and records.

There is no HSC record for this game, so someone will be setting one. 

The ROM  can be found here:

Round ends Sunday, February 7th, 2021 @9pm EST

Standings:

Cafeman - 82,700

rubeon - 39,800

Mangia-Boy - 29,600

MrTrust - 25,800

jblenkle - 20,800

bemis - 19,700

roadrunner - 13,800

10 hours ago, DamonicFury said:

The ROM  can be found here:

FYI the linked ROM is for Donkey Kong and not Donkey Kong Jr.  I'm using one I found somewhere (can't remember) called "Donkey Kong Jr. (Conv).bin" (md5 ae5b9bbe91983ab111fd7cf3d29d6b11)

1 hour ago, rubeon said:

image.thumb.jpeg.2f4608edd1ecbe0b0cacb562ad5adda5.jpeg

ever play a game that just ruins your whole day?

Really not a fan of the Kong games, huh?  I am sorry to hear it... obviously the whole point of these contests is to have fun!  Hopefully there will games more to your liking soon!

1 hour ago, DamonicFury said:

Really not a fan of the Kong games, huh?  I am sorry to hear it... obviously the whole point of these contests is to have fun!  Hopefully there will games more to your liking soon!

lol DKJR's not that bad, but man does it make me grumpy that I constantly miss those jumps! I stopped playing it in an emulator and found it much more playable with the CX52s! Maybe I should have done that with Donkey Kong last round as well, hm...

image.thumb.png.7db22b01d03864874c0ea85971fecd7b.png

I think you can do better once you realize where certain  'safe spots' are and take advantage of those.  

On stage 3 - there are bananas on the low hanging vine - if you can get to that spot, you can wait for the next high-flying bird and more easily make progress up and to the net vine which has a red fruit (you can hang out there waiting for a safe moment to reach DK).

1612336574_DKJRsafe4.png.2918263419f4b2145ad86aa56b22df36.png

DKJR safe5.png

Stage 1 has 2 relative safe spots at the upper right vines, you just have to alternate between the left and right vines depending on which one the red chomper comes up on. 

DKJR safe3.png

DKJR safe2.png

DKJR safe1.png

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Mangia-Boy said:

3rd stage is too much for me. 

Extremely unfair programmed for a home console game on the lowest level.

52dkjr2.PNG

Are you using a standard 5200 controller?  I played this a lot on a Atari 65XE back in the day and don’t recall it being an unfair challenge.  But perhaps the non-self-centering controllers make it feel that way?