IGNORED

Best CoCo Forum?

ballyalley

This forum doesn't seem to be too active.  Yes, there are people here... but there are days between posts.  The Facebook forums seem more active, but I don't really use Facebook.  I recently got a CoCo 3 and a CoCo SDC SD disk drive emulator.  I used it today, successfully, for the first time, but I have some questions about the CoCo 2 vs. the CoCo 3 and some other random stuff.  What's the most active CoCo forum?  Or should I just post here?

Adam

33 minutes ago, brain said:

Discord is pretty active for CoCo:

And the mailing list has been active at times.

Thanks for a link to that video.  I just watched it.  I'll join join the CoCo Talk! discord channel this week.  I watched CoCo Talk! for the first time, and participated in the the chat, for the first time last weekend.  It was recommended that I get a CoCo SDC, which I purchased.  I got it three days later!  That's Ed Snider; you're the fastest shipper in the West!  I used it for the first time today and it worked great.  Seeing that I have very little experience with the CoCo, I just picked a few games (Tut's Tomb, Time Bandit, and Candy Co.; these were all advertised or reviewed in the May 1984 issue of Rainbow!) and each loaded fine (once I figured that "EXEC," not "RUN" starts a binary game; I'm such a newbie!).  My "deluxe" joystick needs some tuning, but it does work sort of okay.  My issue is with colors, but I'll figure this out via the Discord channel; thanks for the link!  I had no idea that you could use voice chat via Discord; maybe I'll use my "Blue" mic for something other than my rarer-than-rare Astrocade podcast or my narration for my videos.

Oh, and watching the discord video made me think that I need to make a Discord channel for the Astrocade... unless one already exists?  I've never checked!

Adam

17 hours ago, ballyalley said:

My issue is with colors

Awesome you have a CoCo 3 setup Adam!

I like the Astrocade Forum and your Podcasts because of the focus on BASIC and the Bally as a hobbyist computer - there is a very similar theme with the Color Computer :) 

Regarding the colors one of the coolest things about the CoCo is that two different palettes are built into the machine like with the BW switch on the Atari VCS.

Try pressing reset repeatedly until the artifact colorset changes it can take several tries.

1 hour ago, Mr SQL said:

Awesome you have a CoCo 3 setup Adam!

I like the Astrocade Forum and your Podcasts because of the focus on BASIC and the Bally as a hobbyist computer - there is a very similar theme with the Color Computer :) 

Thanks for the compliments on the podcast.  Now that I have a CoCo SDC, I can try saving and loading some BASIC programs.  Of course, I've also tried some assembly programs.  So far I've played "Tut's Tomb," "Time Bandit" and "Candy Co." (which I don't understand).  I'm probably going to make a second video about my setup.  Here's a link to my first one from the beginning of January:

https://youtu.be/EQ6KrhOh4C4

(and since my links to YouTube never seem bring up a thumbnail, here's the URL again: https://youtu.be/EQ6KrhOh4C4)

The computer is neat, and I think it was pretty inexpensive for when it came out.

Adam

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MrDave said:

On the coco3 hold down f1 then press reset for alternate  artifact colors. , coco1 & 2. Just keep hitting reset at the beginning of game..

Thanks for the tip about holding down the F1 key.  Yesterday I pressed reset MANY times on my CoCo 3 without any palette changes.  Pressing F1 brought up the second palette right away and now the three games look like they're supposed to look on my TV.

Adam