IGNORED

Phoenix issues

killersquirel

I am having issues now with my Phoenix reading the memory card and running certain roms. I have tried two different SD cards and I'm experiencing the same issue where I get a failed to open directory error. I am also getting an error sometimes where it says that the rom format is not compatible, but that some rom will work on the colecovision core for the MiSTer. 

My Phoenix was an original run Adam colored version. Where is the latest firmware updates located? Does anyone have any idea what can fix these errors? I am hoping to get this fixed before the new rom vault is released. Thanks in advance.

9 hours ago, killersquirel said:

I am having issues now with my Phoenix reading the memory card and running certain roms. I have tried two different SD cards and I'm experiencing the same issue where I get a failed to open directory error. I am also getting an error sometimes where it says that the rom format is not compatible, but that some rom will work on the colecovision core for the MiSTer. 

My Phoenix was an original run Adam colored version. Where is the latest firmware updates located? Does anyone have any idea what can fix these errors? I am hoping to get this fixed before the new rom vault is released. Thanks in advance.

Do you have more than 255 files in the same directory?

Split them into separate directories all less than 255 as that is the limit per directory

12 minutes ago, digress said:

Do you have more than 255 files in the same directory?

Split them into separate directories all less than 255 as that is the limit per directory

I had a similar issue and I had to reformat my SD card with a full format then change the number of roms in certain directories. It seemed like any folder above the folder that broke the rules worked fine but anyone under that did not (I am talking in the list from top to bottom on my phoenix main Colecovision page).

After the fresh format and fixing the file issues it worked fine and it may have even fixed a "gremlin" issue I had where Chuck Norris Superkicks wouldn't work off the SD card, but would work on my Atarimax. 

I had reformatted a couple of times and redid the copying of files several times and finally got them all (for the most part) to work. Some folders didn't have 255 files and still caused problems. In fact one folder only had 4 roms and had problems, but recopying a couple of times had fixed that. Thanks for the information.

17 minutes ago, killersquirel said:

I had reformatted a couple of times and redid the copying of files several times and finally got them all (for the most part) to work. Some folders didn't have 255 files and still caused problems. In fact one folder only had 4 roms and had problems, but recopying a couple of times had fixed that. Thanks for the information.

Did you do a full reformat or just a quick reformat? I had to do the full reformat as when I tried the quick one it didn't seem to help.

I had the same problem where folders with only a small amount of ROMs didn't work but it seemed to be fixed when I got the offending folders (larger than 255 files) reduced down. 

Glad to hear it sounds like you got most things working.

You don't have to stick to 8.3 format filenames - I wasted a ton of code in the BIOS to support long filenames. ;)

However, there are limits:

- maximum file length of 126 characters

- maximum of 254 files in a folder (including subfolders)

- maximum complete path length of 512 characters

- only use 7-bit ASCII in your filenames (so the characters on a US keyboard, basically).

If you don't follow these rules, you should get actual errors, it should not pretend to work and then crash. If you can prove a case where it does, sharing it so we can fix it is helpful.

"Failed to open directory" is generated when the menu can't open a folder (because of file system corruption, too long a filename, or unicode characters in the filename).

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, DaViD_Boulet said:

Newbie here with Phoenix in the mail...

quick question... with the Phoenix is there a slot for the SD card to interface directly (to play game rom files)?... meaning we *don't* need to buy the atarimax SD game cartridge? Thanks!

Correct. I have had minimal issues with running things off the SD card (and some of those issues I think were SD card related not Phoenix related). Wizard of Wor was an exception but there is a release of an edited rom specifically for the Phoenix here on the forum

5 minutes ago, DaViD_Boulet said:

Thanks! Here are the ROM files that I downloaded, and they have a folder with the file already unzipped and named to conventions that they say are supported by the Phoenix (but I'll double check based on your link to be sure... thanks!)

I did my best to meet the requirements of the Phoenix and as far as I'm aware all games should work from my Phoenix-AtariMax ROM set.  However, if you have issues with any then please let me know and I will investigate and update the ROM set as necessary.

1 hour ago, Ikrananka said:

I did my best to meet the requirements of the Phoenix and as far as I'm aware all games should work from my Phoenix-AtariMax ROM set.  However, if you have issues with any then please let me know and I will investigate and update the ROM set as necessary.

Rest assured I have nothing but gratitude for the dedication and hard work you've invested to help preserve and make these games available to those of us who love them. If I find any issues I'll be sure to let you know... THANKS! :)

8 minutes ago, DaViD_Boulet said:

Rest assured I have nothing but gratitude for the dedication and hard work you've invested to help preserve and make these games available to those of us who love them. If I find any issues I'll be sure to let you know... THANKS! :)

No worries, I didn't take your comments in any way as a being negative.  Any feedback is always welcome ? 

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, zaphro72 said:

Correct. I have had minimal issues with running things off the SD card (and some of those issues I think were SD card related not Phoenix related). Wizard of Wor was an exception but there is a release of an edited rom specifically for the Phoenix here on the forum

Because the SGM takes some of the system RAM, the actual available space is 512k-32k, or 480k. Wizard of Wor is a 512k cart, but there were enough unused pages that I was able to move the valid data out of the 2 unavailable pages. Developers who would like it to just work, should not use the last two pages on a 512k megacart (which, confusingly, is the first 32k of the EPROM.) Obviously it's okay for 256k and smaller Megacarts to use the whole space. :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/3/2021 at 3:12 PM, AtariBuff said:

Since 2019? Really? Tried it on two Sony Bravias and waiting for the wive to finish watching in the living room on a Samsung. Disappointing, this situation, to say the least.

Apparently, the problem can be fixed by putting an OREI-XD990 in line with the HDMI cable. $60

32 minutes ago, AtariBuff said:

Thanks, Swami. Forgive my ignorance, but I haven't followed the Phoenix development for quite some time: did they stop working to eliminate their bug and suggest to buy additional hardware for $60 at this point?

No. There is a small deviation in the pixel clock that some TVs can’t adjust for and fixing the deviation on the Phoenix causes all kinds of ripple effects to other functions. The pixel clock fix when perfected would just change the firmware, so there would be no cost.  Some customers have bought that device to solve the issue, although there is a cost associated with it that would probably increase the cost of the Phoenix about the same amount if it were added. I don’t work for Collectorvision. It’s just something a few customers have been using on the Facebook group who did not want to wait for the firmware fix. 

43 minutes ago, AtariBuff said:

Thanks, Swami. Forgive my ignorance, but I haven't followed the Phoenix development for quite some time: did they stop working to eliminate their bug and suggest to buy additional hardware for $60 at this point?

No, the firmware fix is still in development. The suggested adapter is just a stopgap until the real fix in firmware.

This adapter is cheaper and works for me: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07KVRYWDF/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Edited by Bmack36

My new Phoenix has an issue with the Coleco-core: the SD-card won't be detectetd! It just says "Insert SD or turn system off before inserting cartridge".

The SD-slot itself works proper. When I use the atari-core, I 'm able to switch to different folders and load/play a game.

I reloaded the service core (2nd run) and the coleco core (rev08) but without success.

Is this a known problem? Any ideas?