IGNORED

Phoenix issues

killersquirel

2 hours ago, Bomberman93 said:

My new Phoenix has an issue with the Coleco-core: the SD-card won't be detectetd! It just says "Insert SD or turn system off before inserting cartridge".

The SD-slot itself works proper. When I use the atari-core, I 'm able to switch to different folders and load/play a game.

I reloaded the service core (2nd run) and the coleco core (rev08) but without success.

Is this a known problem? Any ideas?

Sorry if this seems obvious, but I made this mistake myself so I want to ask :) but did you insert the *micro* SD card into the larger "card adaptor" that slots into the Phoenix? 

• 8 months later...

Sorry to revive an old thread...but suddenly my Phoenix won't allow me to choose either of the startup options -- either the "*" to select a core or "#" to do setup. There's nothing in the manual about what to do about this. But the screen just hangs for a few seconds and then goes straight into loading the ROM directory. It's not the controller; once I'm actually in the game, everything works.

EDIT: Oops, it WAS the controller...sort of! I use an Edladdin Seagull CV adapter. Just figured out that if you want to access the startup menu, you have to flip the switch on the adapter to the "on" position.

Edited by Dauber
new discovery
  • Like 1

On 5/5/2021 at 8:29 AM, Bomberman93 said:

My new Phoenix has an issue with the Coleco-core: the SD-card won't be detectetd! It just says "Insert SD or turn system off before inserting cartridge".

The SD-slot itself works proper. When I use the atari-core, I 'm able to switch to different folders and load/play a game.

I reloaded the service core (2nd run) and the coleco core (rev08) but without success.

Is this a known problem? Any ideas?

Assume the file table is slightly corrupt. Copy the entire sd card to a computer folder on a notebook or desktop. Format the sd card. Copy the files back in the same structure.

1 hour ago, digress said:

Assume the file table is slightly corrupt. Copy the entire sd card to a computer folder on a notebook or desktop. Format the sd card. Copy the files back in the same structure.

Thanks for the hint. I've done this already without success.

But the problem is solved meanwhile: there is a switch at the SD-card slot, which detects if the card is inserted or not. And the soldering point on the PCB was bad. Just resoldered -> It works!

The main menu of the Phoenix and the Atari core doesn't need this switch, but the Colecovision core does!

Yeah, I wrote the ColecoVision menu to pay attention to the switch so it can respond to the card being inserted and removed hot. I wasn't involved with the main menu or Atari cores.

You can tell if it's the switch or the card by simply inserting it after the screen is up. If it doesn't change at least momentarily to "reading", then it's most likely the switch. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Phoenix and it is reading Atari ROMs (.a26 file extension).  There are no more than 250 ROMs in any folder.  None load.  All attempted give a message that the file is of an unsupported format.  These same ROMs used to work before I sent out my Phoenix for service (back to the Collectorvision folks).  CV ROMs work fine from the SD card.  Could it be a CORE issue?

3 hours ago, tjrtech2 said:

I have a Phoenix and it is reading Atari ROMs (.a26 file extension).  There are no more than 250 ROMs in any folder.  None load.  All attempted give a message that the file is of an unsupported format.  These same ROMs used to work before I sent out my Phoenix for service (back to the Collectorvision folks).  CV ROMs work fine from the SD card.  Could it be a CORE issue?

You are in the ColecoVision core. Change cores to the Atari 2600 core by pressing * at powerup.

• 1 month later...
On 1/20/2022 at 2:55 PM, Tursi said:

You are in the ColecoVision core. Change cores to the Atari 2600 core by pressing * at powerup.

Thanks...when I hit * or # at startup I get a menu, and it only has these options:

PRESS:
    1  TOGGLE SCANLINES

2  TOGGLE FLICKER (OFF)

9  EXIT MENU

I don't get any ability to boot into the Atari core, manage cores, etc.  I think I used to before sending my unit off for repair/replacement.

Thoughts?

1 hour ago, tjrtech2 said:

Thanks...when I hit * or # at startup I get a menu, and it only has these options:

PRESS:
    1  TOGGLE SCANLINES

2  TOGGLE FLICKER (OFF)

9  EXIT MENU

I don't get any ability to boot into the Atari core, manage cores, etc.  I think I used to before sending my unit off for repair/replacement.

Thoughts?

Sounds like you aren’t pressing it fast enough as that is the menu that comes up once you are already in the ColecoVision core

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/9/2022 at 8:39 PM, Tursi said:

Yep. Has to be within the first couple seconds of powerup, before it automatically starts the ColecoVision core.

I hit the shit out of it, held it down, pressed it rapidly.  Held it down while the reset button is set.  Not my first rodeo on hitting and activating reset options (been doing it since '84 on hardware) and I know that timing it everything.

But, I will try again.  LOL.

7 minutes ago, tjrtech2 said:

I hit the shit out of it, held it down, pressed it rapidly.  Held it down while the reset button is set.  Not my first rodeo on hitting and activating reset options (been doing it since '84 on hardware) and I know that timing it everything.

But, I will try again.  LOL.

Has to be on power on, not on reset, so don't worry about the reset button. Reset just resets the current core. Only on power up can you CHANGE the core.

Not sure if you can just hold it... my Phoenix isn't set up and I didn't write the core select menu. But it should just be power on, press *. Some TVs negotiate the HDMI quickly enough for you to see the message, but it seems many do not.

I double checked the manual, and it confirms * (or 'Y' on the SNES controller) for the core selection, or # (or X on the SNES controller) for the full setup menu. It just say "a few seconds", but I think it's 3-5 seconds. If it doesn't see the keypress, the ColecoVision core always starts automatically.

It's probably also worth noting the well-commented parasitic power issue - on some systems enough current leaks through the HDMI port from the TV to prevent the FPGA from fully turning off, causing all kinds of fun issues. Based on your troubles, perhaps that is happening here. Try unplugging the HDMI while it's turned off and hitting the option blind, then plugging the HDMI back in, just to see.

It would be nice to see the initial Core Select/Full Setup Menu updated to wait for user input rather than being on a very short timer. If possible, perhaps make this user configurable seeing as most are using the Phoenix for CV games on cartridge or rom file and prefer the current setup.