IGNORED

Pokeymax version 3 preorder

foft

It’s definitely wired as the diagram from @Duddie showed? Please double check.

Could you make a short recording of what you mean by scratches please? Just internal audio or the two external outputs too? Also is there a chance of a screenshot of pokeycfg.xex, so I can check some settings please?

OK, we found out the issue.

The channels each have a divider. If this is set wrong and too many instruments are playing at once them clipping occurs, which is the scratchy sound I think you hear.

By default these were intended to be set as:

1 (internal): 2

2 (XEL) : 2

3 (left out): 4

4 (right out): 4

Unfortunately we accidentally shipped some with channel 1 and 2 set to a divider of 1.

Here is a video of how to adjust this setting and save it to flash.

Sorry wrong way round. I give in trying to convince youtube and apple to communicate the orientation correctly. Turn your head!

Edited by foft
  • Like 1

OK, here is a landscape one ?

It only uploads correctly if I record in landscape in the iphone with the volume buttons facing down. Well done Apple and Google!!

Edited by foft
  • Like 2

On 6/16/2021 at 11:23 AM, foft said:

Also some stereo and covox demos from previous discussion threads:

http://www.64kib.com/pokeymax_files/software/demos/

Here are some more stereo demos, covox demos and some tools (and also some GTIA demos). Since some of the demos are from my collection and some are from other Atarians, there are several duplicates in the ZIP files.

COVOX.zip GTIADEM.zip Stereo.zip

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 6/11/2021 at 4:10 PM, foft said:

Yes it is possible. However nothing plays them all at once - yet!

There are PSG, STC and SID players from mono.

There is a SID player from xxl.

There are a bunch of covox players.

There are many dual pokey players, though no quad ones I know of yet.

I wrote a basic drum machine demo for the Paula-like sample dma.

There is plenty of fun to be had developing for it.

I thought one of the players out there was shown to support Quad in the Pokeymax V2 thread. Though I don't recall which one, but little has been done to make use of it, from what I understood.

I've not had time yet to really get into either my V2 quad+Covox, which I also recently fried while doing further upgrades(:-o So I'm installing the V3 now and will have to buy another one), let alone try out the V3.

Edited by Gunstar

36 minutes ago, Gunstar said:

I thought one of the players out there was shown to support Quad in the Pokeymax V2 thread. Though I don't recall which one, but little has been done to make use of it, from what I understood.

Yep, there is Theta Music Composer 2.0. Unsure if it really/fully works with Quad Pokey and PokeyMax. I guess that the TMC-based EnoTracker 1.0 is for stereo/Dual Pokey only, but maybe I am wrong (or there already exists a newer version) ?!?

Atm I have two disksides with .TM2 songs, but alas, none of the TMC (old TMC 1.x) players will play them. So, if anyone creates dual-Pokey or quad-Pokey songs with TMC 2.x, maybe he could also create a (DOS 2) player for them ?!?

On 6/27/2021 at 8:50 AM, foft said:

How was it fried? Perhaps it is fixable. I’ve yet to fry one for good and am doing a lot of reconnecting!

Sorry I missed your reply until now. I was soldering lines to A4-A7 on the 800 motherboard (in front of the left cart slot) for my dual-PIA board, and as you know, those lines are also used by Pokeymax, though I have them connected to the CPU board directly. Anyway, I left the Pokeymax installed in it's socket while I soldered so either stray voltage damged it through A4-A7 or I damaged with static electricity while working in close proximity.

20210525_153409.jpg.67bff2341d8a43a9bc0d4ca4f433991e.jpg

It may indeed be fixable, maybe it just needs a reprogramming/flashing or something. There is nothing visibly wrong with the board, just a black screen with it inserted in my 800 and with the Pokeymax 3 or Pokey everything works fine. But I can't do anything but flash the firmware when it's installed, which can't be done at this point. I'd love to save it if I can, but I didn't think it worth shipping back and forth to Retronics or you for reprogramming or whatever type of repair is needed. Since it's non-working condition is my fault I wasn't going to ask Retronics for a return-for-replacement.  But if you can get it working for me and shipping both ways all comes to less than buying a replacment V2 or V3, then maybe I'll send it. Or if someone in the States has the facility to fix it for me, or wants to buy it, let me know. Otherwise it sits back in it's anti-static case and in a drawer until the day I do have the facility to repair/reprogram it myself. Right now the tools I have aren't the best for surface mount work, my Oscilloscope itself is in need of major repair, so that leaves me with a multimeter for trouble-shooting and I only have an Atarimax programming cart with Max Studio, U-flash with SIO2PC or an eprom burner for the Atari that can program 2732-27512 eproms.

Edited by Gunstar

OK I see. I guess another possibility is a solder fleck landed somewhere. If its static that is going to be a pain since these are small parts to replace, beyond my skill though others here are able.

Interesting its a black screen, iirc without pokey responding it hangs on the blue screen.

If you get your tools operational again then I can help with troubleshooting. I'd say first steps would be:

i) Does 3.3v line still work.

ii) Does the fpga appear on the jtag - will need a usb blaster. 

iii) Does it configure ok - there is a line on the fpga that goes high/low, I'd need to check where.

After that its more logic analyzer territory. e.g. watch cs,a0-a4 and data lines. The fpga software has a built in logic analyzer which can be used by flashing a custom core.

Alternative step (iii): Write some asm to test reads/writes to pokey and burn some eproms.

Edited by foft
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
50 minutes ago, Pmetzen said:

Under PokeyMax Configtool I noticed the following setting for my PokeyMax V3. The config tool says Pokey:8. Does my PokeyMax have V3, 8 Pokeys or 4? Is this setting correct at all?

It has 4 pokeys, the 8 is a config tool bug.

1 hour ago, Pmetzen said:

Can the Paula Sound Chip of the Amiga also be emulated with the PokeyMax V3?

Almost. Pokey can’t do dma to Atari ram. So pokeymax v3 has ~40KB of its own ram which it can play from. Other than the sample engine is fairly similar to Paula. Since the ram is limited I added ima compression, to allow approx 80KB samples.

Edited by foft
  • Like 1