IGNORED

Odynexus, a game you would like to play on your Jaguar?

agradeneu

2 hours ago, evisu said:

Sadly ... yes ?

I don't think so, if you look at the popularity of Phoboz' RPG game and Metroidvania projects. Certain genres are very underrepresented on Jaguar and I feel fans are really having a strong desire for such games.

Graphical intense shmups is another genre that people might want.

On the other hand, interest for the 1000th Tetris or Break Out clone might be modest at best.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, agradeneu said:

I don't think so, if you look at the popularity of Phoboz' RPG game and Metroidvania projects. Certain genres are very underrepresented on Jaguar and I feel fans are really having a strong desire for such games.

On the other hand, interest for the 1000th Tetris or Break Out clone might be modest at best.  

I totally agree. I can´t even program the microwave oven, so I have probably no right to judge any project, which is probably made with love, loads of time and heart blood.

Some of the stuff what appears is simply mind-blowing ... Zaku on the Lynx, Wyvern Tales, Alice Moms Rescue on the Jag, also some ports are simply great (Xenon 2 e.g.) and a real enrichment for the Jag/Lynx library. And yes ... a Metriodvania clone ... would love to see something like that. 

Other games on the other hand ... well ... if they are released as free ROMs for Skunkboard or emulators, sure ... doesn´t hurt.

But I would not not spend even one minute to load them into the memory of the Skunk ... really like the Jag, but there are thousands of good games out there, no need to waste time for a crappy clone of whatever just to play on my Atari.

6 hours ago, agradeneu said:

Demand is obviously higher for rarer genres and well-made games, but the Jaguar community also includes a significant number of people who are willing to pay for anything, regardless of the quality or novelty (whether they actually play those cartridges is another matter).

Edited by Zerosquare
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Jaguar would be cool, but (sorry to say in this particular forem), have you considered a 7800 version? Odynexus would seem a good fit since for the 7800 sprite engine, and you'd still be 6502 based. While the original only had TIA sound, many modern games now take advantage of the dual POKEY chip setup, for a total of 10 sound channels.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, bhall408 said:

Jaguar would be cool, but (sorry to say in this particular forem), have you considered a 7800 version? Odynexus would seem a good fit since for the 7800 sprite engine, and you'd still be 6502 based. While the original only had TIA sound, many modern games now take advantage of the dual POKEY chip setup, for a total of 10 sound channels.

Thanks for the suggestion. But honestly, I don't think the 7800 would be the right platform for the artstyle of the game and the things we like to improve over the Lynx version.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, sirlynxalot said:

Maybe there could be some cross-platform interconnectivity between the game versions, like a code you get when beating the lynx version that does something interesting in the jag version or vice versa.  Just a random thought since the game could be coming out on multiple platforms.

Jaguar Comlynx support ;-)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 7 months later...
32 minutes ago, phoboz said:

Any news regarding this project beyond the concept picture?

Hello, thanks for asking!

Lord Kraken and I are both quite busy with finishing/releasing current projects like RED, Odynexus for Lynx and Gravitic Mines for Jaguar.

So nothing was started yet unfortunality, but next year we like to prototype something.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I'm the culprit, after all the covid restrictions, I used the summer to be out in the nature as much as possible... but now time to go back to coding, so I have some hope to find some momentum again. But I think that both me and @agradeneu are super motivated to bring ody on the jag, especially with Jagstudio powering it!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1