IGNORED

New Atari ST/E Mega ST/E hard disk interface - Faster and more SD card compatible than SatanDisk

masteries

18 hours ago, dakidski said:

I would like to order one, with shipping to Denmark.

PS. Do you know if you can power your device from those ST cartridge port to triple USB adapters seen on eBay? They give around 400 MA, from what I read. 

Thanks for your interest and support!

I take note of your request,

400 mA, and a very stable 5 volts from the same machine; I think this way of powering shall work ok!

• 3 weeks later...

What are the minimum specs for the computer that can use this as far as TOS version and memory?

Does it require a TOS boot disc for systems that don't autoboot to TOS or can it be used without a floppy disc?

Do I need any connectors or cables that don't come with the device?

I'm very interested. I've never gotten my Ultra-Satan to work because my ST has the wrong TOS version. I might be able to upgrade it, but I'd rather have an easier to use device.

Thanks for creating this neat device!

20 hours ago, ianoid said:

What are the minimum specs for the computer that can use this as far as TOS version and memory?

For enjoy game playing, the minimum is 1 MB RAM; while you can use the hard disk device with a 512 KB machine; many or almost all of the hard disk prepared games usually require 1 MB as minimum

It is operative with any TOS, from 1.00 to 2.06 or modern ones such EmuTOS... but if you planned to use it with a TOS 1.0 or 1.02, you will need to use a special SD card image that deals with the limitations of these ancient, and no recommended TOS versions.

If you have enough RAM in your ST/E, you can use a disk image that loads entirely EmuTOS into RAM, at system startup, eliminating the loading of your TOS version.

Users with a bad DMA are using this last aproach in order to read and write to the hard disk without problems, as a silver bullet for bad DMA equipped machines  :)

Does it require a TOS boot disc for systems that don't autoboot to TOS or can it be used without a floppy disc?

Do I need any connectors or cables that don't come with the device?

I'm very interested. I've never gotten my Ultra-Satan to work because my ST has the wrong TOS version. I might be able to upgrade it, but I'd rather have an easier to use device.

Thanks for creating this neat device!

Autoboot is supported, and its the typical way of usage.

Personally, I forgot about floppy disk usage many time ago :)

You don´t need additional cables. Its plug&play; you will need a 5 Volts good quality power source; usually phone chargers are not suitable.

Some users are using the 5 volts line internal of the ST/E computer, while others are using official Raspberry Pi 3 power source, or and Ipod / Ipad power source, that appears to work well.

Current performance is very close to Ultra-Satan; most stable and machine compatible firmware, the usual provided one, reads at 650 KB/s and writes up to 385 KB/s.

While the highest performance firmware I developed currently reach 800 KB/s read and 400 KB/s writing...

But really, all tested STE demos such Sea of Colour, Bad Apple, We Were... works perfectly using the 650 KB/s read firmware

Thanks for your interest!

Edited by masteries

About this PSU compatibility, does anyone knows what is the reason behind incompatibility/compatibility ?

I tried to use my Mega STE internal Hard drive connector to power ACSI2STM but it doesn’t work, The device is on, both red and green leds are lit but it’s not recognized by the computer.

I did a quick check with a scope and the power from the Mega STE is much cleaner than the one coming from an USB charger… but with the USB charger, the ACSI2STM works perfectly fine and is properly recognized by the computer ? 

I’ll do some further tests with the scope this week…

Hello All,

I just got mine in the mail and cannot for the life of me get this working I have tried every power supply I have including know compatible ones, also tried USB ports on several laptops and desktops my unit to goes to an empty desktop.

I even tried an Xbox 360 port as I read some people has luck with that. 

I have an Atari ST 1040STF with TOS 1.4

I know my 1040 works as I got it from Paul Westphal and he tested my machine with his ASC2STF.

My unit is in YouTube video showing it working

Also just add to diagnosis there is no LED on the unit at anytime no matter what power source is connected.

Any Help would be greatly welcomed 

Edited by Killjoyy27

6 hours ago, Killjoyy27 said:

Hello All,

I just got mine in the mail and cannot for the life of me get this working I have tried every power supply I have including know compatible ones ...

Paul computers are well tested ones :)

Your unit receives no power at all,

Despite all units are severely tested with my 2x STE machines; a micro USB brittle than usual can create these sort of problems,

Trobleshooting session is started,

Also if you have access to Arduino like wires (or so called Dupont ones), try to power it from pinout, pins are 5V (5 volts) and any GND labeled pin; this serve to verify if the problem is the micro USB port

As well I contacted you via email, 

• Like 1