IGNORED

New Atari ST/E Mega ST/E hard disk interface - Faster and more SD card compatible than SatanDisk

masteries

Days ago, I finished a research to improve the performance, using the same stable and highly compatible firmware.

A redesign of the PCB tracks, and using a minimalistic SD card reader, lets the device reach around 1 MB/s

SAMSUNG-CAMERA-PICTURES.jpg

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tomorrow, the last batch of previous model manufacture will be sent,

Edited by masteries

• 2 weeks later...

Received my hard disk unit today :)
All working now with a taiwanese Y16GE30 (only marking I could find on it as otherwise a noname) 16Gb MicroSD HC U1 / now using a Samsung 2GB as it's all that's needed really.
Atari 520 STFM, TOS 1.02

Card formatted and image deployed no issues using built in SD card slot in an old MSI CX61 series laptop (windows 10)

Power supplies that DID NOT WORK (using the same old and cheap cable)
Lenovo USB-C HUB model C611
Sony charger UCH12 1300-7140.1

Power supply that DOES WORK
Primark USB Travel Charger :D Model: MDUSB3BKMPRM
3 USB ports into side cart slot -
Atari ST STE USB Power Cartridge Dongle

Edited by ChaoticBiker
new power supply tested and details of my atari model added

Hello,
I received the hard disk interface and the gamepad.
Everything works perfectly the first time.
Excellent!
I was able to add a few games from the PC and it also works.

Unfortunately for me, I thought my Ste had 4MB...it only has 2.
Impossible to test Metal Slug (though Wolfenstein 3D works even though it seems to require 4MB...).
In short it will be necessary to buy 4Mo (For another STe which has 1Mo and I will see for my STf which has only 512kb).
A priori we can find 4MB for 30€. 
Is this a correct price?
In any case, the reader works perfectly with the power supply of my Pi3 and a 16GB Gigastone SD card. 

Thx, 

Amigatari

On 2/17/2022 at 10:48 PM, AMIGATARI said:

Hello,
I received the hard disk interface and the gamepad.
Everything works perfectly the first time.
Excellent!
I was able to add a few games from the PC and it also works.

Unfortunately for me, I thought my Ste had 4MB...it only has 2.
Impossible to test Metal Slug (though Wolfenstein 3D works even though it seems to require 4MB...).
In short it will be necessary to buy 4Mo (For another STe which has 1Mo and I will see for my STf which has only 512kb).
A priori we can find 4MB for 30€. 
Is this a correct price?
In any case, the reader works perfectly with the power supply of my Pi3 and a 16GB Gigastone SD card. 

Thx, 

Amigatari

Thanks for the feedback!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi !

I just received the ACSI2STM. Unfortunately, no way to get my 520 STF (with 512k extension) boot on it.

I wrote the disk image to a SD card using Win32 Disk Imager, plugged the module to my ST and powered it. It displays a red LED, then also a green LED upon ST start.

The ST starts with a white screen trying to seek the FDD then after maybe 30 seconds displays the desktop with only A and B drive.

I tried with 4 different chargers, 4 different cables and 4 different SD cards...

I assume my TOS is version 1.02 as it displays "Copyright 1986 , 1987".

Any help welcome!!!

I've been meaning to post for a bit.  I purchased one of these from @masteries and I figured I'd have no problem powering it.  None of the half dozen microusb adapters I had met with success.

I know there are some documented ones that work, and I finally bought a nice small Apple power supply that works great, and wanted to share the information.

It is an Apple A1265 5V 1A supply.  Apple calls this the 5W adapter.  I don't know which devices it originally shipped with.  I picked it up cheap on eBay and it is nice and small and has worked flawlessly every boot. 

35 minutes ago, cwilbar said:

I've been meaning to post for a bit.  I purchased one of these from @masteries and I figured I'd have no problem powering it.  None of the half dozen microusb adapters I had met with success.

I know there are some documented ones that work, and I finally bought a nice small Apple power supply that works great, and wanted to share the information.

It is an Apple A1265 5V 1A supply.  Apple calls this the 5W adapter.  I don't know which devices it originally shipped with.  I picked it up cheap on eBay and it is nice and small and has worked flawlessly every boot. 

Thanks for the tip!

I have a similarly-specced Samsung adapter that is flaky in this usage. Only a computer has provided reliable power for it and that's not practical for my setup.

I'll try the Apple adapter.

On 3/8/2022 at 11:07 PM, cwilbar said:

Thanks for reporting a high available suitable power source!

16 hours ago, dakidski said:

Reported to be working fine with Atari 520 STe, 1.06, power from Raspberry Pi 3 power supply.

Hi

Good news, I managed to make it work on my TOS 1.02 STF either:

- with a powerbank
- with a Raspberry 3 power supply (3A)
- connecting it to a laptop USB port

2 hours ago, cpo said:

Hi

- with a powerbank

Good news!

The user Flytrap, found a suitable low cost and easily available power source:

00ozYXZ.jpg

On 3/8/2022 at 4:45 PM, monzamess said:

Thanks for the tip!

I have a similarly-specced Samsung adapter that is flaky in this usage. Only a computer has provided reliable power for it and that's not practical for my setup.

I'll try the Apple adapter.

I never tried the Apple adapter.

I am now using this CanaKit Raspberry Pi 3 power adapter (plus inline power switch) that I had on-hand for my Pi 3: https://www.amazon.com/CanaKit-Raspberry-Supply-Adapter-Listed/dp/B00MARDJZ4 

NOTE: I actually bought this "NorthPada" Raspberry Pi 3 adapter just for the ASCI2STM: https://www.amazon.com/NorthPada-Raspberry-Supply-Charger-Adapter/dp/B01N336XEU but it doesn't work with the ASCI2STM. It works fine with my Pi so I just swapped this with the CanaKit.

On 3/14/2022 at 10:50 AM, cpo said:

Hi

- with a powerbank

That's good to know. I will get the SD interface soon I'm on TOS v1.02 as well. Can you let me know which SD image you used and how big each partitions must be to get it working on TOS v1.02? Thanks!

On 3/23/2022 at 3:22 PM, teller said:

That's good to know. I will get the SD interface soon I'm on TOS v1.02 as well. Can you let me know which SD image you used and how big each partitions must be to get it working on TOS v1.02? Thanks!

Hi,
256mb is the limit.
when you get the stuff from masteries, he gives you 2 images. One won't work correctly with tos 1.02. He gives you a second link which is a 1gb image, and this works flawessly. I'd recomment putting it into a emulator like hatari, and adding any extra software you wish, and also adding extra partitions to suit your SD card.
Then just write image to SD and you're ready to go!
I found that even a 2gb sd card is slightlyoverkill for games, software, mods and midis ;) 
hope this helps!

On 3/23/2022 at 4:22 PM, teller said:

I am using the image proposed by Peter (petari@8bitchip.info) for 10 euros. Most of the games provided work well on TOS 1.02 (except Chaos Strikes back ? )