IGNORED

New Atari ST/E Mega ST/E hard disk interface - Faster and more SD card compatible than SatanDisk

masteries

Hi, I recieved both 'revision b' units and finally had time to test them out.

I already had purchased and used the first 'revision a' model iwith Peter's image.

Sadly the new models are no good to me, they keep corrupting the image written to sd-card after the second boot.

I tested both of them, and when I went back to 'revision a', everything worked as intended. 

I also tried several different sd-cards, but the same happens.

The setup is exactly the same, and 'revision a' works fine without problems.

Regards,

dakidski

Edit. I will reflash the older firmware and see what happens.

Edited by dakidski

17 hours ago, dakidski said:

Hi, I recieved both 'revision b' units and finally had time to test them out.

I already had purchased and used the first 'revision a' model iwith Peter's image.

Sadly the new models are no good to me, they keep corrupting the image written to sd-card after the second boot.

I tested both of them, and when I went back to 'revision a', everything worked as intended. 

I also tried several different sd-cards, but the same happens.

The setup is exactly the same, and 'revision a' works fine without problems.

Would it be possible to get a refund, or to swap the 2 'revision b' boards to 'revision a' boards?

Regards,

dakidski

Thanks for reporting!

Its possible to use the revision A firmware in revision B boards.

Difference is the SD card speed, from 16-18 MHz to 36 MHz. That lead to faster SD card transactions and more commands per second.

This bandwidth increase appears to produce non desired side effects for your machine.

You will receive previous firmware files and "how to" flash them as soon as possible,

Best,

• 2 weeks later...

Update

from today the common problem with many power sources is solved,

The problem was the usage of micro USB port for powering;
now each hard disk unit comes with an attached and soldered USB cable

(to 5V and GND pins).

If you use 5V and GND labeled pinout, any power source can be used;

but if you use the micro USB port, you will be limited to few ones.

attachment.php?attachmentid=55031&d=1652

Edited by masteries
  • Like 2

On 5/10/2022 at 8:16 PM, Vausey said:

@masteries, I'd love to buy one for my STE, Do you have units built ready to ship? Please can you send the details across?

Thanks for all the good work ?

Your unit has been sent,

You have a private message with tracking number and details,

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/19/2022 at 11:23 AM, masteries said:

Your unit has been sent,

You have a private message with tracking number and details,

@masteries a million thank you's!

This little box of wizardry completely transformed my STE. The inclusion of the hard wired cable does indeed do the trick and seems it can now be powered by just about any power source I've thrown at it.

It's nice and quick and reliable transfers...I don't understand why people spend more than double on an alternative.

If you're contemplating getting one go for it, you won't be disappointed!

• Like 1

I just wanted to clarify and apologize.

I reported errors a while ago with revision B.

But I was wrong.

It turns out that it was my Atari 1040STe that was dying. (It had already killed two goteks.)

I tested both rev A and B on my spare (and fully working) Atari 1040STe and they ran great!!

This is also a reminder to hoard several ST's, because you might need a spare one day!

regards,

dakidski

Edited by dakidski
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 6/10/2022 at 12:07 PM, Vausey said:

I don't understand why people spend more than double on an alternative.

You have got to be kidding me. :roll:  It's not a bad product, but there are a number of reasons why this is cheaper than the "alternative" that you mention. Maybe you need to do some better research on the "alternative" before making broad statements like this.

15 minutes ago, atarian1 said:

You have got to be kidding me. :roll:  It's not a bad product, but there are a number of reasons why this is cheaper than the "alternative" that you mention. Maybe you need to do some better research on the "alternative" before making broad statements like this.

I did use the internet if that's what you mean by "research" (research would involve a lot wider academic reading and writing a paper on the subject which I've not done....although I doubt I'm alone here on this ?

As such a well read person as yourself, you will be aware there are two main alternative SD card interface type products that are currently readily available - one receives a lot of hype and yes has a swanky custom PCB, the other comes in a plastic case, both do physically look better agreed, even though they are much larger in size (and this unit can easily be hidden without needing to fit internally).

From what I've seen neither of the alternatives provide transfer rates at this level.

A lot like me will want a product that just works (which this does and does well), doesn't add any additional risk of damage to their machine and will be wanting all this on a budget.  Sure with a read up on GitHub, plenty of time, competency with a soldering iron etc. you could make your own but @masteries does all of this, sources the components and assembles for you with little margin and at a price the majority have available to them as disposable income. The support from @masteries is super too, all questions being responded to efficiently.

I'm surprised my comment caused such an ill thought out reaction.  Horses for courses each product has its own merits, I wasn't disrespecting any solution nor getting involved in a flaming war, just offering an honest opinion, this is absolutely value for money and I for one am delighted. Thank you @masteries

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

22 hours ago, Vausey said:

I did use the internet if that's what you mean by "research" (research would involve a lot wider academic reading and writing a paper on the subject which I've not done....although I doubt I'm alone here on this ?

As such a well read person as yourself, you will be aware there are two main alternative SD card interface type products that are currently readily available - one receives a lot of hype and yes has a swanky custom PCB, the other comes in a plastic case, both do physically look better agreed, even though they are much larger in size (and this unit can easily be hidden without needing to fit internally).

From what I've seen neither of the alternatives provide transfer rates at this level.

A lot like me will want a product that just works (which this does and does well), doesn't add any additional risk of damage to their machine and will be wanting all this on a budget.  Sure with a read up on GitHub, plenty of time, competency with a soldering iron etc. you could make your own but @masteries does all of this, sources the components and assembles for you with little margin and at a price the majority have available to them as disposable income. The support from @masteries is super too, all questions being responded to efficiently.

I'm surprised my comment caused such an ill thought out reaction.  Horses for courses each product has its own merits, I wasn't disrespecting any solution nor getting involved in a flaming war, just offering an honest opinion, this is absolutely value for money and I for one am delighted. Thank you @masteries

That's not what you said. Your comment "I don't understand why people spend more than double on an alternative" infers that this device is better than the alternative. BTW, the alternative I am talking about is the UltraSatan which is much more powerful than the ACSI2STM that this device is based on. Unfortunately, with more power usually comes at a higher price. People will spend more on a more powerful device. You questioning why people would do that indicates that you are looking down on UltraSatan owners that they didn't make a smart choice.

I don't know where you got your specs, but the last time I checked, the UltraSatan can transfer >1000kB/s which is almost twice as fast as the ACSI2STM 650kB/s.

UltraSatan damaging your machine?! That's a first I've ever heard. I don't know what to say...bad luck? I've never seen an ST damaged by the UltraSatan.

I have an UltraSatan and recommend it to everyone. I also see a market for the ACSI2STM which while not as powerful, is a more affordable device. Basically, it comes down to you get what you pay for. No need to bash people who spend more for a more powerful device.

• 1 month later...