IGNORED

New Atari ST/E Mega ST/E hard disk interface - Faster and more SD card compatible than SatanDisk

masteries

On 10/24/2021 at 6:29 PM, ojanhk said:

About this PSU compatibility, does anyone knows what is the reason behind incompatibility/compatibility ?

I tried to use my Mega STE internal Hard drive connector to power ACSI2STM but it doesn’t work, The device is on, both red and green leds are lit but it’s not recognized by the computer.

I did a quick check with a scope and the power from the Mega STE is much cleaner than the one coming from an USB charger… but with the USB charger, the ACSI2STM works perfectly fine and is properly recognized by the computer ? 

I’ll do some further tests with the scope this week…

I ran a slew of tests with multiple power bricks today since I received this today...and at first I could not get it to work either. But, I found out what it was in my case. I was plugging the power into the ACSI2STM first and then plugging it into the ST. The ST will never recognize it this way. 

After realizing this I plugged the microUSB end into the ACSI2STM (and did not plug in the USB side to power) and then plugged it into the ST. Afterward I plugged in the power and the usual lights come on....again while it is already plugged into the ST. Now when I turn the ST on it boots up as expected.

Also noteworthly to add is that if I power off the ST and then back on...it will not boot again. You have to do a complete power cycle of the ACSI2STM first and then turn on the ST.

After finding this out I went back to all of the bricks that "didn't work". A TCL phone brick, Samsung, and two random bricks (one little tiny pink one my daughter gave me from somewhere) and they all work....no crashes and everything just works.

Heads up for anyone having power issues....maybe you are doing what I initially was ;) Or, it could just be the way my machine is currently. I am using the TOS 1.00 image on a 520STm with TOS 1.00 (for now until upgraded ROMS arrive).

Edited by eightbit
  • Like 1

On 11/10/2021 at 4:49 AM, eightbit said:

Ohh, I should add...if you have been on the fence about ordering one of these...just go for it. You cannot get this type of device for this price elsewhere currently and it works pretty darn fantastically.

Thanks for reporting and the recommendation!  :)

If you can provide detail for all working power sources you tested, I could add them to the compatibility list

On 10/25/2021 at 3:23 AM, masteries said:

As far I tested, I found also that overvoltage spikes are as bad as undervoltage ones.

---------------------------------

Westphal, usr(1536), Delvis, Ionid, Cwilbar

Your units are ready!

You have a private message,

Thanks Brother! ( This is my third ) :)

Paul Westphal I, Just out of knowing, where did you find the SD card (Kingston Canvas Select Plus, U1 / V10) in 16mb... I looked allover even on Kingston web site and they only start at 32gb.

I wondering because I have two of them (ACSI2STM) coming and want to use the best SD cards in them. I looked on ebay also but only starts at 32gb...

Peter

Edited by Peter Rabitt
update question

Hey there!

Just my two pennies:

I'm using an original Raspberry 3 PSU (5.1V, 2,5A) with no problems at all. Maybe it's that extra tenth of a Volt that does the trick. IIRC, some PIs won't work reliably with a generic 5V PSU.

SD Cards I've been trying so far with great success (685 kb/sec):

SanDisk Ultra 16GB, Class 10

Transcend 16GB, Class 10

This is an excellent and and very reliable device. ??

Best,

Frank

On 11/11/2021 at 3:41 PM, Peter Rabitt said:

Paul Westphal I, Just out of knowing, where did you find the SD card (Kingston Canvas Select Plus, U1 / V10) in 16mb... I looked allover even on Kingston web site and they only start at 32gb.

I wondering because I have two of them (ACSI2STM) coming and want to use the best SD cards in them. I looked on ebay also but only starts at 32gb...

Peter

Ebay. It was a listing where you could pick the size of the specific model of micro SD.

I looked for the one's I got for $5 each.. hard to find.

I DID find these : https://www.amazon.com/Verbatim-Premium-microSDHC-Memory-Adapter/dp/B00CBAUIEU/ref=dp_fod_3?pd_rd_i=B00CBAUIEU&psc=1

They also have the 8GB, which is what I was looking for in the first place, on Ebay. I think they might run a tich faster than 16GB, but ya never know.

Edited by Paul Westphal

2 hours ago, Zeptari1 said:

Will this work on the Falcon? Will it work with a Falcon that has a IDE to CF adapter installed?

As far as I know, Falcon does not have an ACSI port.

ACSI is the hard disk interface Atari designed for ST/E, MegaST/E and TT computers.

As well some of these machines (Mega and TT) also have SCSI ports.

Edited by masteries

On 11/15/2021 at 11:32 PM, ianoid said:

I just received mine. Now to prep the SD card. Did anyone cook up a 3D printed enclosure that I could buy?

As friend Paul Westphal pointed: at Atari forum, the user "Real Larry" uploaded a 3D printed case model

--------------------------------------------

VicViper, your unit has been sent today,

You have a private message with the tracking number and additional information