IGNORED

TI99/4a and TMS-RGB

JJB

Just confirming that TMS RGB works very well in my US TI after replacing the TMS9918A with a TMS9928A I purchased from Ebay. Pin 38 (CPUCLK) wasn't used for the sound processor so I just terminated it with a 560R resistor, same with pin 35 (EXTVDP). The composite video signal from pin 36 goes to a inductor (L202) first, I cut the incoming side and bent it out of the way. Right under that inductor is an unused wire link which can be conveniently used to terminate pin 36 with another 560R resistor. 

I re-used the existing TI video connector to provide RGB out  and made a custom DIN - SCART cable to connect to a cheap RGB - HDMI converter. SCART needs a positive potential on pin 16 (Fast Switching) to select RGB instead of CVIDEO but with a 5-pin DIN I didn't have a spare pin to carry 5V from the console. I just opened up the converter and connected pin 16 internally to a suitable 5V point via a current-limiting resistor.

Cheers,

Jochen

• Like 7

17 hours ago, JJB said:

Just confirming that TMS RGB works very well in my US TI after replacing the TMS9918A with a TMS9928A I purchased from Ebay. Pin 38 (CPUCLK) wasn't used for the sound processor so I just terminated it with a 560R resistor, same with pin 35 (EXTVDP). The composite video signal from pin 36 goes to a inductor (L202) first, I cut the incoming side and bent it out of the way. Right under that inductor is an unused wire link which can be conveniently used to terminate pin 36 with another 560R resistor. 

I re-used the existing TI video connector to provide RGB out  and made a custom DIN - SCART cable to connect to a cheap RGB - HDMI converter. SCART needs a positive potential on pin 16 (Fast Switching) to select RGB instead of CVIDEO but with a 5-pin DIN I didn't have a spare pin to carry 5V from the console. I just opened up the converter and connected pin 16 internally to a suitable 5V point via a current-limiting resistor.

Cheers,

Jochen

I have a tan TI, had it since about 92, that has a 9928 and a 6 pin din connector where the 5 pin din is supposed to be, I have a dijit rgb unit that plugs in. But can find no documentation for it, even asked here in the past.

Edited by RickyDean
spelling - thick fingers

12 hours ago, JJB said:

this one? http://www.mainbyte.com/ti99/hardware/peb/avpc.html 

No, this was an external unit, plugged into the ti with a 6 pin DIN connector, has 4 cables coming out R,G,B, and audio. Was only meant to be 40 column rgb. I thought I posted a pic in the past, but doing a search, can't find it. Will have to locate the unit and take (again?). I saw a conversation in the search for dijit, between the Great Gazoo and Ksarul, where Gazoo was asking something about it.

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/238138-original-dijit-video-card/?tab=comments#comment-3234632

Edited by RickyDean
added content

• 2 weeks later...

Apologies have to revise my story about AC-coupling the R-G-B signals, it did cause colour smearing in some cases. Fine-tuning the capacitor values would probably solve that but I decided to remove the electrolytics and live with a bit of colour diff; picture quality is still great.

I had a problem with noise on the TMS-RGB sync line, causing my RGB->HDMI converter to re-sync and show that annoying OSD. Chased a lot of red herrings but can only conclude the noise is generated by TMS-RGB. With a scope and a capacitor decade box I determined that a 10nF capacitor between sync and ground nicely cleans up the signal and makes the converter behave.

Hope that helps,

Jochen

Edited by JJB
Removed AC-coupling; sync noise solution
  • Like 2

• 11 months later...
On 1/25/2021 at 10:42 PM, JJB said:

I have one of these TMSRGB boards that I was hoping to use in my QI TI-99/4a, but it has a TMS9918A chip. I want to connect the RGB output to a 15Khz capable VGA monitor, so SCART support isn't necessary.

Could you provide a step by step of how you replaced the TMS9918A with a TMS9928A, please?

Is is possible to retain the composite video output on the TI-99/4a with this mod? If not, how about component or S-Video output?

• Like 1

On 1/22/2022 at 11:37 AM, Calab said:

Is is possible to retain the composite video output on the TI-99/4a with this mod? If not, how about component or S-Video output?

No, the RGB becomes the output.  The 9918 generated the composite on-chip, so replacing it with a 9928 would require you to add modulation circuitry to get composite back.  On the good side, the modulation circuit wouldn't interfere with the RGB output so you'd have your choice of outputs.

On 1/22/2022 at 1:37 PM, Calab said:

If not, how about component or S-Video output?

7 hours ago, ChildOfCv said:

The 9918 generated the composite on-chip, so replacing it with a 9928 would require you to add modulation circuitry to get composite back.

FWIW, S-Video (Y/C) is a slightly different color space than the YPbPr output of the 9928A.  Thus, to get S-Video from a 9928A-based TI you will need additional conversion circuitry, the mathematics of which are beyond my interest, or a specialized chip or two.  A while back I tried the simple method of combining Pb+Pr to get C, but doing so failed to produce a color screen.

1 hour ago, OLD CS1 said:

FWIW, S-Video (Y/C) is a slightly different color space than the YPbPr output of the 9928A.  Thus, to get S-Video from a 9928A-based TI you will need additional conversion circuitry, the mathematics of which are beyond my interest, or a specialized chip or two.  A while back I tried the simple method of combining Pb+Pr to get C, but doing so failed to produce a color screen.

It's not a color space issue.  You need the modulator to turn it into a form that the TV expects.  Pb and Pr are just voltage levels that track with the color output.  The modulated signal is a 3.58MHz sine wave which gets phase shifted to the color in question and whose magnitude controls color saturation.  The circuitry needed to convert this would include a LM1889 or MC1372 at its core.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/24/2022 at 7:58 AM, OLD CS1 said:

But could you run wires from the YPbPr pins of the 9928A to RCA jacks and get component video? or do you need some buffer/amp circuitry between the chip and RCA jacks?

• 1 year later...
On 1/28/2021 at 11:45 AM, RickyDean said:

No, this was an external unit, plugged into the ti with a 6 pin DIN connector, has 4 cables coming out R,G,B, and audio. Was only meant to be 40 column rgb. I thought I posted a pic in the past, but doing a search, can't find it. Will have to locate the unit and take (again?). I saw a conversation in the search for dijit, between the Great Gazoo and Ksarul, where Gazoo was asking something about it.

https://atariage.com/forums/topic/238138-original-dijit-video-card/?tab=comments#comment-3234632

Found this thread tonight and found the DIJIT RGB interface last week. Anybody got a manual, info, something? Did find an ad in MicroPendium (2nd picture attached).

20231126_211624.jpg

Untitled.jpg

Edited by RickyDean
spelling, added content
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, RickyDean said:

Wow, I've got a piece of equipment that our Ksarul doesn't have, amazing!! Of course you may have several in the basement? 

Nope, the cupboard is bare on this one. I'd read about these, but they were released while I was in Germany and were no longer available by the time I returned to the US. I've never seen one show up for sale either, so I still don't have one. I was eventually able to acquire an AVPC though, as they show up for sale once in a while (I had the same problem there, as they went on sale and then were no longer available by the time I initially went looking for one).

3 minutes ago, Ksarul said:

Nope, the cupboard is bare on this one. I'd read about these, but they were released while I was in Germany and were no longer available by the time I returned to the US. I've never seen one show up for sale either, so I still don't have one. I was eventually able to acquire an AVPC though, as they show up for sale once in a while (I had the same problem there, as they went on sale and then were no longer available by the time I initially went looking for one).

Well it is a moot point today as there are other RGB options, but I do have the modified console as well as this card, console has the 9928, I believe and I can plug one wire into a video jack on a composite screen and get a gray screen title screen. I may use something to convert the signal to Scart or vga sometime, but I just got in Tang 20k's today and am working on HDMI for the Geneve's.

5 minutes ago, RickyDean said:

Well it is a moot point today as there are other RGB options, but I do have the modified console as well as this card, console has the 9928, I believe and I can plug one wire into a video jack on a composite screen and get a gray screen title screen. I may use something to convert the signal to Scart or vga sometime, but I just got in Tang 20k's today and am working on HDMI for the Geneve's.

Yes, this mod changed the VDP to a 9928. There are several 9928 conversion projects that showed up in various newsletters, and the output from any of them would work with this RGB Interface if routed to the right pins on a DIN6 console connector.

• Like 2