IGNORED

Does anyone have windows 10 running from the internal M.2 SSD?

AlecRob

I for the life of me cannot figure out how to get it working even with all the guides and advice i've seen thus far.  i'm using a 500GB WD Blue m.2 SATA which SHOULD work from everything i can tell and i currently am booted into windows 10 using a USB thumb drive that i created using the official guides from Atari.    Can anyone provide clear instructions on how to install the Windows 10 ISO onto the internal SSD?  it seems like it should be easy if i'm already booted to windows from the USB stick and i have an ISO file right here on my desktop but it isnt that intuitive or simple it seems...  any help would be appreciated. 

2 hours ago, AlecRob said:

I for the life of me cannot figure out how to get it working even with all the guides and advice i've seen thus far.  i'm using a 500GB WD Blue m.2 SATA which SHOULD work from everything i can tell and i currently am booted into windows 10 using a USB thumb drive that i created using the official guides from Atari.    Can anyone provide clear instructions on how to install the Windows 10 ISO onto the internal SSD?  it seems like it should be easy if i'm already booted to windows from the USB stick and i have an ISO file right here on my desktop but it isnt that intuitive or simple it seems...  any help would be appreciated. 

Yes I did it (using a 1TB M2.SSD).

To install Win10 is straight and easy. Everything you have to do you´ll find here:

-> Windows 10 install

If you face some issues while the install process it would be very helpful, if you explain all steps you gone and what issue you get.

Cheers,

andY

• Like 1

On 1/26/2021 at 3:55 AM, andymanone said:

Yes I did it (using a 1TB M2.SSD).

To install Win10 is straight and easy. Everything you have to do you´ll find here:

-> Windows 10 install

If you face some issues while the install process it would be very helpful, if you explain all steps you gone and what issue you get.

Cheers,

andY

well I used windows installation media creator to make a windows installer USB stick. i booted to the stick and tried to install windows on the internal 500GB SSD.  it made it all the way through installation and then at the end i got an error message saying my computer could not continue the installation. 

EDIT: i just ordered one of these:

JESOT M.2 to USB Adapter, B Key M.2 SSD to USB 3.0 Reader Card, NGFF SATA Conver | eBay

since i was able to create a windows bootable USB stick, i should be able to use the same method to make a windows bootable m.2 drive, then remove it from the USB reader and put it inside the VCS. fingers crossed

Edited by AlecRob

It's actually quite easy to do. I used a USB stick and a copy of WinToUSB as well as WinToHDD. So you install your M.2, make your bootable Win10 stick using WinToUSB, boot into Windows - and then you just clone the drive over using WinToHDD, remembering to expand the target partition size beforehand.

• Like 1

On 1/27/2021 at 1:29 AM, AlecRob said:

well I used windows installation media creator to make a windows installer USB stick. i booted to the stick and tried to install windows on the internal 500GB SSD.  it made it all the way through installation and then at the end i got an error message saying my computer could not continue the installation. 

EDIT: i just ordered one of these:

JESOT M.2 to USB Adapter, B Key M.2 SSD to USB 3.0 Reader Card, NGFF SATA Conver | eBay

since i was able to create a windows bootable USB stick, i should be able to use the same method to make a windows bootable m.2 drive, then remove it from the USB reader and put it inside the VCS. fingers crossed

That should work fine.  You can even partition the M.2 Drive if you wanted to install a linux distro in addition to windows, or even I suppose as a storage drive for VCS games.

12 hours ago, RedWolfJC said:

That should work fine.  You can even partition the M.2 Drive if you wanted to install a linux distro in addition to windows, or even I suppose as a storage drive for VCS games.

this method went smoothly! posting now with the VCS with win10 via internal m.2 drive and 32GB Ram inside.  this is actually a pretty great little computer.  long live the Atari VCS.

• Like 3