IGNORED

Fire Emblem: Three Houses- why didn't I get this before?

digdugnate

I didn't see a FE:TH thread, so boom, new thread, haha.  I picked up Fire Emblem: Three Houses last Friday on a whim and now I'm asking myself "Why didn't I buy this before?"

I was a little put off because I just couldn't get into the latest one for the 3DS- this one to me is way and above that one.  The battle is super satisfying, I enjoy the social bits, and the graphics/sound are just amazing.  I also really like that the game has a 'wiener' setting where my people don't perma-die when they get killed- this absolutely makes the game for me.

• Like 3

Despite all of the weird Fire Emblem fanboys saying that the game is trash and so is anyone who likes any Fire Emblem game released after The Sacred Stones, it's one of the best games on the system and probably the single best exclusive game the system has. It's got a few flaws and a few annoying aspects, but it's still an excellent game and easily within my top 2 or 3 favourite games on the system. There's a reason that I bought the soundtrack for it... that should be arriving in a few weeks when it releases. The main problem that I have with this game is that it's way too easy on Hard. Maddening fixes that for the first few chapters, but then after that it gets pretty easy again for a while. Just stay away from the internet since there are spoilers everywhere about literally everything in the whole game.

Other than that, the first half of the game is basically 100% identical between the 3 classes, just with different people talking to you, so every time you start a new game, you have to play through the entire first half of the game all over again, which gets old really fast on subsequent playthroughs, and it's part of the reason that I never finished one of the routes. That's the only one I have not finished, so I'll probably delete that save file and restart it here soon.

Also, the player character's father's voice actor is Otsuka Akio, so every time he talks I hear Solid Snake.

In any case, if you get stuck, let me know... unless it's the route I have not done yet, in which case I can't do anything.

Edited by Steven Pendleton
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Steven Pendleton said:

Despite all of the weird Fire Emblem fanboys saying that the game is trash and so is anyone who likes any Fire Emblem game released after The Sacred Stones, it's one of the best games on the system and probably the single best exclusive game the system has. It's got a few flaws and a few annoying aspects, but it's still an excellent game and easily within my top 2 or 3 favourite games on the system. There's a reason that I bought the soundtrack for it... that should be arriving in a few weeks when it releases. The main problem that I have with this game is that it's way too easy on Hard. Maddening fixes that for the first few chapters, but then after that it gets pretty easy again for a while. Just stay away from the internet since there are spoilers everywhere about literally everything in the whole game.

Other than that, the first half of the game is basically 100% identical between the 3 classes, just with different people talking to you, so every time you start a new game, you have to play through the entire first half of the game all over again, which gets old really fast on subsequent playthroughs, and it's part of the reason that I never finished one of the routes. That's the only one I have not finished, so I'll probably delete that save file and restart it here soon.

Also, the player character's father's voice actor is Otsuka Akio, so every time he talks I hear Solid Snake.

In any case, if you get stuck, let me know... unless it's the route I have not done yet, in which case I can't do anything.

awesome! will do :)  I went Black Eagles for my first playthrough.

Edited by digdugnate

On 1/28/2021 at 5:57 PM, Razzie.P said:

I've loved virtually all FE games, and this one didn't disappoint.   At first, I was a bit annoyed by the "school stuff" between missions, and through that was gonna ruin it.  But somewhere around a quarter to half way through, I was quite attached to the little F'ers. 

same!  you end up getting attached to some of your students and their personalities due to the way the game personifies them- oooh, Bernie. lol

i kind of flamed out last week with other stuff going on, but im up to the 'mystery at Remire village' mission.  I stomped the holy heck out of the other classes in the mock battle last month. :D

12 hours ago, Steven Pendleton said:

Where are you now? I'm probably going to start replaying the game soon. I will choose Claude this time, as his is the only route I have not completed. I only made it about 1/3 of the way there last time.

duuuude.  if i had known the way stuff had gone, i mightve done it differently, lol.  i'm posting spoilers in a spoiler block, so dont click if you guys don't want to see!

Spoiler

in my playthrough Edelgarde assumed the throne, turned on the Church, and my character is allied with the church.  next mission is to battle the Empire.

51 minutes ago, digdugnate said:

duuuude.  if i had known the way stuff had gone, i mightve done it differently, lol.  i'm posting spoilers in a spoiler block, so dont click if you guys don't want to see!

Hide contents

in my playthrough Edelgarde assumed the throne, turned on the Church, and my character is allied with the church.  next mission is to battle the Empire.

lol that's literally the reason why I said to avoid spoilers... good that you got to see it without knowing about it in advance! More tasty spoilers (and safe for you to read since you're already past this point):

Spoiler

you can join Edgelord Edelgard if you talk to her in chapter 11, which leads to a somewhat secret-ish route. I felt kind of bad for not telling you, but I definitely think it's better to do the first playthrough without any knowledge at all. I missed it on the first time myself, as I literally bought the game a week after it came out and didn't know anything about the story and stuff. Hope you didn't use Edgelord Edelgard and Hubert too much or have any good equipment on them... I did both, unfortunately.

I will say this, though: chapter 13 is literally the hardest part of the entire game and many challenge runs end there with no hope of completion. Beat that chapter and you're basically good.

Spoiler

unless you are on the Edgelord Edelgard route, in which case chapter 13 is different from the rest and it's not so bad.

• Haha 1

the laugh emoticon was for the spoiler stuff, haha. thats cool.  i ALMOST did what you were saying, but then i was like, eh, i want to go what felt more traditional the first time.

i commented to my wife that i almost wanted to start over now, but i'm like 40 hours in- i'll just play it again. :)

8 hours ago, digdugnate said:

the laugh emoticon was for the spoiler stuff, haha. thats cool.  i ALMOST did what you were saying, but then i was like, eh, i want to go what felt more traditional the first time.

i commented to my wife that i almost wanted to start over now, but i'm like 40 hours in- i'll just play it again. :)

lol so

Spoiler

you actually saw Edgelord's event in chapter 11 and chose not to join her? I didn't know it was there until I finished the game and went on the internet and suddenly saw people talking about a hidden-ish route. Even though I missed the event, I had a feeling that I could have joined her but I missed something, so then I went back and replayed the entire first half of the game again, saw the event, and joined her.

It's Fire Emblem, so it's built to be endlessly replayable anyway. First playthrough = no internet, no spoilers, no outside assistance unless absolutely needed... then after you beat the game once, go to the internet and learn how to break the game if you want and start doing the harder difficulties. Still, be careful in chapter 13. That place is frustrating as hell, especially on the highest difficulty. You'll see why when you get there.

• Like 1

If you were able to make it there, your level is fine. If I remember correctly, that route has the hardest last boss in the game, so try a different strategy. I had a kind of dumb strategy that relied heavily on luck and stuff, but it worked for me. It was almost 2 years ago, I think, but I do remember what I did clearly. Well, I remember what the map is (easy enough since it gets recycled a few times on each route) and my actual strategy to fight the last boss. I don't remember anything about how I actually got over to the last boss, though.

Can't help with Claude, as I've only made it to his chapter 6.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Steven Pendleton said:

If you were able to make it there, your level is fine. If I remember correctly, that route has the hardest last boss in the game, so try a different strategy. I had a kind of dumb strategy that relied heavily on luck and stuff, but it worked for me. It was almost 2 years ago, I think, but I do remember what I did clearly. Well, I remember what the map is (easy enough since it gets recycled a few times on each route) and my actual strategy to fight the last boss. I don't remember anything about how I actually got over to the last boss, though.

Can't help with Claude, as I've only made it to his chapter 6.

no worries- i know i can get it done with a little persistence.  i'm up to like chapter 8-10 (i just dont remember what since it's been a couple of days) with Claude- it's more efficient but what i've done in this playthrough is snag other students from the the other classes ;)  I like using Dorothea and Petra for the Mortal Savant route and Mercedes is a good healer.  Lysithea in my opinion is hands-down the best mage tho.