IGNORED

I'm getting a new VCS after all!

Gunstar

6 hours ago, zzip said:

I've upgraded plenty of PCs,  what bothers me about upgrading the VCS is the delicate antenna wires and ribbon cables that could easily break.  That plus the videos I watched on accessing the RAM seem to do a lot of disassembly, including removing the heatsink (not sure if that's necessary).   I think you or someone else here said the RAM is easier to access from the other side?

The RAM would be easier to access from the bottom. Everything was designed inside the VCS for a hole on the bottom (by the guy who designed the VCS and left the project in 2019). Yet, the Atari dev team decided to save some $$$...at the last stage. When you remove the four screws on the bottom of the VCS...remove the back panel first...then it is very easy to open the cover to the front (the front panel will drop off by itself). You just have to be careful to position the cover near the VCS. I opened it several times and never had a problem. The two USB connectors are a bit unusual...they have a kind of a button on the inner side, you have to press to release the cables.

Edited by Charles Darwin

38 minutes ago, Charles Darwin said:

The RAM would be easier to access from the bottom. Everything was designed inside the VCS for a hole on the bottom (by the guy who designed the VCS and left the project in 2019). Yet, the Atari dev team decided to save some $$$...at the last stage. When you remove the four screws on the bottom of the VCS...remove the back panel first...then it is very easy to open the cover to the front (the front panel will drop off by itself). You just have to be careful to position the cover near the VCS. I opened it several times and never had a problem. The two USB connectors are a bit unusual...they have a kind of a button on the inner side, you have to press to release the cables.

ha ha, I came here to complain that people keep saying to take the front off first (because that is what was in my email) but you edited it to show the back panel first :)  I agree, the most annoying part about adding the memory is to disconnect / reconnect the two USB ports on the front.

Are we 100% sure the panel was going to be there on the bottom?  Or is that just a rumored thing.  Seems to me the decision was form over function like a Mac...

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Well, I had to wait for 2 1/2 years as my friend decided to wait for the price to drop to about $200. But this past August I finally got my Onyx all-in machine from him for my birthday! Just in time too, as my really old PC finally gave up the ghost, so this replaces it. My first new Atari branded computer/console since 1995!

I had to do the OS flashed on a thumb drive update, but after that everything has been working like a charm. I currently have it set up on a coffee table under my projection screen until I'm ready to use it as my office PC. It's pretty portable so it will go back and forth most likely. There is nothing like playing Tempest 4000 on a 150" projection screen!

IMG_20230904_215914066.thumb.jpg.7f7a0c4eea65c2f17114ef047b80f2c6.jpgIMG_20230904_220118216.thumb.jpg.8e491ff88992cf29f832ca2bd827dabb.jpgIMG_20230904_220345198.thumb.jpg.db52a7cf0317915ac5726a06c6c9eca8.jpg

• Like 8

• 1 month later...

Though I haven't gotten around to upgrading the VCS memory yet (I see no reason for an internal drive upgrade since I have USB ports and thumb drives), but I've been adding the peripherals and OS's. 

Different from my previous pictures posted, in this one I have a second modern controller (aftermarket XBOX 1) for $10 and when I got it home I noticed how closely the design matches the Atari controller! Did I just happen to purchase a controller from the company that made the Atari VCS modern controller?!? IIRC, the brand is PDP.

Anyway, I also upgraded to a premium quality mouse, slim profile with RGB LED backlighting to match my Atari keyboard. I also purchased Atari's Linux USB stick for the PC side. I made a 64G thumb drive boot loader Windows XP and two more thumb drives formatted for use with the VCS for game storage. I only use internal storage for the VCS apps and emu's and streaming services. 

I also got a USB 3.0 to Sata/IDE adapter and added a 2.5" 180G mini IDE HDD and 3D printed a case for it using a model done for C64 cartridge that I modified slightly to fit. It is for Windows 7. Also a 500G SATA 3.5" drive with Windows 10.

Lastly, I got a USB 3.0 4-port hub.

IMG_20231006_135204515.thumb.jpg.2d29310b0f47cb138ee376eae25f88e6.jpg

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Gunstar said:

Though I haven't gotten around to upgrading the VCS memory yet (I see no reason for an internal drive upgrade since I have USB ports and thumb drives), but I've been adding the peripherals and OS's. 

Different from my previous pictures posted, in this one I have a second modern controller (aftermarket XBOX 1) for $10 and when I got it home I noticed how closely the design matches the Atari controller! Did I just happen to purchase a controller from the company that made the Atari VCS modern controller?!? IIRC, the brand is PDP.

Anyway, I also upgraded to a premium quality mouse, slim profile with RGB LED backlighting to match my Atari keyboard. I also purchased Atari's Linux USB stick for the PC side. I made a 64G thumb drive boot loader Windows XP and two more thumb drives formatted for use with the VCS for game storage. I only use internal storage for the VCS apps and emu's and streaming services. 

I also got a USB 3.0 to Sata/IDE adapter and added a 2.5" 180G mini IDE HDD and 3D printed a case for it using a model done for C64 cartridge that I modified slightly to fit. It is for Windows 7. Also a 500G SATA 3.5" drive with Windows 10.

IMG_20231006_135204515.thumb.jpg.2d29310b0f47cb138ee376eae25f88e6.jpg

Nice setup.  To answer your question about the controller, the Atari controllers (both modern and classic) are made by Power A.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Gunstar said:

Awesome setup man. I love the Fuji on the mouse. Nice touch.

• Thanks 1