IGNORED

new homebrew: SISYPHUS

kisrael

"ONE MUST IMAGINE SISYPHUS HAPPY"

SISYPHUS

AN ORIGINAL GAME FOR THE ATARI 2600

851314312-main.jpg

GRAPPLE WITH THE EXISTENTIAL ABSURDITY OF LIFE IN THE COMFORT OF YOUR OWN LIVING ROOM

851314312-top.jpg

THE GODS HAVE DECREED: YOU, SISYPHUS, MUST STRUGGLE AGAINST THE MONUMENTAL ROCK, USING ALL OF YOUR ROYAL MIGHT TO ROLL IT TO THE TOP OF THE MOUNTAIN.

WHEN YOU FAIL, THE ROCK IS AWARDED 1 POINT.

screenshot.png
ACTUAL GAMEPLAY SCREENSHOT

PLAY ONLINE, DOWNLOAD THE BINARY ROM IMAGE OR PERUSE THE ORIGINAL SACRED TEXT SOURCE CODE

(PROGRESS BY ALTERNATING PRESSING LEFT AND UP ON YOUR JOYSTICK DEVICE. AFTER A PERIOD OF INACTION, THE ATARI CPU WILL TAKE UP SISYPHUS' BURDEN ON YOUR BEHALF, ALLOWING THE GAME TO ACT AS A STYLISH PHILOSOPHICAL ART PIECE, AN EXISTENTIAL COMMENTARY IN SCREENSAVER FORM.
CONTACT KIRKJERK@GMAIL.COM FOR A PHYSICAL CARTRIDGE.)

"SISYPHUS HAS A SENSE OF PLAYFULNESS ... YOU HAVE TO LOOK AT IT FROM THE ROCK'S POINT OF VIEW."

sisyphus.bin

Edited by kisrael
adding in binary
  • Like 8
  • Haha 8

47 minutes ago, kisrael said:

some notes on the tooling for it, including how to embed a bin file into a webpage with Stellerator

That's much nicer than having to convert the ROM to a bas64 string.

As seen in this topic I tried Stellerator in my Model 3 back in 2019, didn't perform well. Since then I had the FSD computer upgrade; while it ran better, it was still sluggish. I suspect it's due to the car's browser not being optimized for this use case, and not a CPU performance issue.

IMG_1607.jpg

IMG_1609.jpg

8 minutes ago, SpiceWare said:

That's much nicer than having to convert the ROM to a bas64 string.

Yeah. DirtyHairy has done amazing, amazing work, so I do like bridging the gap between him and us mortals :-D

(I've been in contact with him, I may try to help him make the documentation a little friendlier re: straight loading of ROMs, which I think is what most people are after, assuming they can host stuff)

Fun hack on the car!!

• Like 4

I just laughed my arse off ?

5 hours ago, SpiceWare said:

As seen in this topic I tried Stellerator in my Model 3 back in 2019, didn't perform well. Since then I had the FSD computer upgrade; while it ran better, it was still sluggish. I suspect it's due to the car's browser not being optimized for this use case, and not a CPU performance issue.

Awesome that it works at all. I guess javascript performance was not exactly top priority when they put together the firmware ?

5 hours ago, kisrael said:

Yeah. DirtyHairy has done amazing, amazing work, so I do like bridging the gap between him and us mortals :-D

*blushes* Thanks alot! However, I am pretty sure I am quite mortal ?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, kisrael said:

(dumb question can you edit an earlier post and if so where is the link to do so? I guess it's traditional to attach a binary which is fine by me, I just copied my site's page for it, and it worked pretty well!)

Also you can play online: https://alienbill.com/2600/sisyphus/play/ 

You can now edit the first post indefinitely.

..Al

5 hours ago, Just Jeff said:

I still can't figure out how to jump or pick up the gun.  Also, do we post high scores here?  I got 0!

Keep playing and trying!

Or don't! (Kind of akin to how Camus said there is just one really serious philosophical question...)

This watershed piece compells us to ask ourselves if retro video games themselves aren't already ruminations on the Sisyphean nature of life.  Reset, bleep, bloop, bleep, bloop, Game Over.  Over and over and over.  To what end? Those three lives will always run out eventually, and you'll be back to zero.   Your actual personal best score is always unknown to you; you can only ever approach it asymptotically.  As soon as one score milestone is acheived, the next becomes thinkable.  Down comes the boulder.  Is "Sisyphus" so different?  It merely wears its futility on its sleeve, rather than hidden behind a high score table, or arbitrary tine limit, or contrived "ending".  It is a moebius strip of metaphorical examination of the nature of struggle; our mythology illustrates our video games, which now illustrate our mythology in turn.  Would the Ancients recognize the continuity between Sisyphus' plight and Pac-Man's?  We are invited to such omphaloskepsis every time we flick the reset switch on this new epic work.  Bravo.

However, the controls suck and the difficulty is total bulls****.

Edited by MrTrust
  • Like 4

• 1 month later...

ZeroPage Homebrew is playing Sisyphus on tomorrow's (Tue Mar 23, 2021) stream LIVE on Twitch at 6PM PT | 9PM ET | 2AM GMT! Hope everyone can watch!

Games:

1384589974_20210323-LetsPlay.thumb.jpg.4308a32a505cf691e72315ef3a20ce17.jpg