IGNORED

My Frogger cartridge: Zellers or Not?

Nabuko78

I always had this kinda strange (or not) Frogger Atari 2600 cartridge with a drawing of two frogs on a pond. The game is effectively Frogger, I have been playing it on my Atari 7800, and the label style match up with other Zeller cartridges from Canada. But I got this cartridge from an unknown source, but I recognize it as one of those carts that were sold very cheap along with other bootleg carts.
So my question is: Is this a Zeller's game that didn't made it, a rare variant, a common bootleg cart from Hong Kong or what?

IMG_20210126_223454907.jpg

IMG_20210126_223514815.jpg

Edited by Nabuko78

Oh wow, that's funny! I remember seeing the Zeller's thread years ago, and I granted as valid that my cartridge was part of the Zeller's collection, yet I started to search more about this variant and couldn't find it. Even there's an entry for Frogger sold by Zellers but with the original artwork by Parker Brothers. Not this hand drawn version. 

And I was thinking in replacing the label to a custom made based on Parker Brothers original. I think it's bad idea.

I'm thinking in buying an original instead.

Edited by Nabuko78

11 minutes ago, Special Teams said:

Manufactured in Taiwan and sold in Zellers Department stores in Canada.

image.png

"being from" does not mean where an item is manufactured to me.  The games are obviously manufactured with the same art as Taiwan games, however, many items as manufactured overseas and seen as from a different company.

Edited by atari181

Quoting myself: "So my question is: Is this a Zeller's game that didn't made it, a rare variant, a common bootleg cart from Hong Kong or what?"

I completely forgot Taiwan, it was Taiwan, not Hong Kong, but yeah, whatever came from either country was good to sell in thrift stores and the local market flea. I have seen also Taiwan Cooper cartridges, I owned very few of them in comparison to all the other original games my dad bought over a span of 8 years (1980-1988) until I got my NES right after I won my Atari 7800 on a contest.

I had a heavy sixer, got broken many times. Then we got the Atari 2600jr, more original games, then by '86/'87 the Taiwan Cooper cartridges came up, just bought few of them to see what games they were. I bought a Pac Kong cart that never worked then I changed it for Crackpots. Then the Atari 7800 was introduced in Mexico, and a local store made a contest with first prize an Atari 7800, second prize Atari 2600jr. with 1 cart, and third prize an Atari 7800 cartridge. I won first prize by playing Ms. Pacman for 60 seconds, highest score. That's how high scores means something in real life lol. And from there I started to buy my own Atari 7800 games and even 2600 games, and so on did the same with the Nintendo consoles I had.

I never knew what was the Pac Kong game due to a faulty cartridge, until the age of internet when I found here at the AA forums that Pac Kong was another game imitating Donkey Kong. 

Pac Kong.jfif

My mistake, I didn't bought Crackpots, I bought "Boom Bang" in exchange for Pac Kong. The images I'm putting are not mine, I'm using them as reference. And as kid I was expecting to see a Transformer robot game, but then I noticed the obvious contradiction between the image in the label and the obvious concatenation of the names Pac and Kong. Never knew until 15 years later.

I lost most of my cartridges due to giving them to a cousin and never seeing them again, except for the whole Atari 7800 collection I have.

Boom Bang.jpeg

Pac Kong.jpeg

Edited by Nabuko78
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Nabuko78 said:

Pac Kong.jfifUnavailable

My mistake, I didn't bought Crackpots, I bought "Boom Bang" in exchange for Pac Kong. The images I'm putting are not mine, I'm using them as reference. And as kid I was expecting to see a Transformer robot game, but then I noticed the obvious contradiction between the image in the label and the obvious concatenation of the names Pac and Kong. Never knew until 15 years later.

I lost most of my cartridges due to giving them to a cousin and never seeing them again, except for the whole Atari 7800 collection I have.

Boom Bang.jpeg

Pac Kong.jpeg

Love that Pac-Kong label. I may have to start collecting these just for the labels.?