IGNORED

Atari 2600 Repair Help Needed

ericpskl

I have an Atari 2600 (Darth Vader, CX2600A) that I've been trying to repair.  Symptoms:

• With a known good cartridge inserted, I get a good RF signal on the TV, but only have a black screen.
  • Logic probe shows pulsing on the clock pins, but no pulsing on any address or data lines. 
  • Clock frequency matches that of a good 2600.
  • All three major chips check out okay -- they are socketed and work fine when installed in another 2600. 
  • Good +5V coming out of the voltage regulator.
  • Known good external power supply.
  • All contacts cleaned multiple times.

Any recommendations on what to check next would be appreciated! :)

If you perform a search of the internet or the 2600 forum you should be able to find a copy of the 2600 field service manual which may help you to diagnose the problem.

Did you check for the clock on all the relevant pins, TIA pins 4, 11 & 26, 6507 pins 26 & 27 and pin39 of the RIOT?

Also check that pin 32 of the TIA is taken to ground and that the reset pins of the 6507 and the RIOT (1 & 34 respectively) are pulled high to 5V.

• Like 1

Stephen, I owe you a pint!

Followed your instructions and found that the RIOT reset pin (PIN 34) was at 0.4 volts.  Pin 34 connects through a 22K (R227) pullup to +5V with a 0.1uF bypass cap (C238) to ground.  Pulled and tested both components and found the cap was bad.  Replaced the cap and she booted right up!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1