IGNORED

Hellway, an Atari 2600 homebrew with love

Dear friends from AtariAge.

This is not a version update, I implemented parallax, but I felt it made me fell really sick. So I removed from the main branch, keeping a parallax version just to be able to get people opinions on it.

https://github.com/opbokel/hellway/raw/master/bin/hellway-parallax.asm.bin 

Online:

https://javatari.org/?ROM=https://github.com/opbokel/hellway/raw/master/bin/hellway-parallax.asm.bin

Parallax was incorporated in the man branch.

I would appreciate your input on it.

Thanks.

Edited by Octavio Pinho Bokel
Invalid link.

12 minutes ago, Octavio Pinho Bokel said:

Dear friends from AtariAge.

This is not a version update, I implemented parallax, but I felt it made me fell really sick. So I removed from the main branch, keeping a parallax version just to be able to get people opinions on it.

https://github.com/opbokel/hellway/raw/master/bin/hellway-parallax.asm.bin 

Online:

https://javatari.org/?ROM=https://github.com/opbokel/hellway/raw/master/bin/hellway-parallax.asm.bin

I would appreciate your input on it.

Thanks.

I kinda like it, personally. I wonder if it would give you less vertigo if the playfield lines were thinner? Just an idea.

Release Candidate 1

Hello community.

I am officially making the game as RC1 (without parallax). Until it is actually released, I am accepting ideas and suggestions, nothing is too crazy.

A little bit on the technical side, I have about 60 bytes of ram, +- half of my blank / overscan cycles, and 1.35 kb of free rom space. My real bottleneck is drawing the game (18 spare cycles on a 3 lines kernel). I have done a lot of optimisations, but still, I have to generate the traffic on the fly while drawing.

Parallax was done and cached in RAM outside the drawing cycle (Easy, since is a 8 lines repeating pattern). But got in the way of gameplay itself. It made me motion sick, and most people preferred the simple version. That is the moment I decided to make the RC1. I don't have to use every CPU cycle or rom space available, and I am not seeing anything that can improve the game further without getting in the way.

That is why I am sharing this information, maybe you guys have any idea or feature you miss, I am open for it. I have some resources to spare...

I am hereby inventing you all for testing, and I will keep you posted.

A big thanks to all of you.

I made a update to make everybody happy. There are now 4 selectable border effects:

## Border Effects

While in the title screen it is possible to change what the border of the screen looks like by pressing the D-pad:
* Up (default) => Basic strip pattern.
* Left => Tachometer, the stripes grow representing the engine RPM, the vertical line position represents the current gear.
* Down => Vertical parallax, the planes are on top of each other
* Right => Horizontal Parallax, the planes are next to each other.

I also deleted the parallax version, since it is now in the main version.

• Like 1

Dear Friends,

Is with great pleasure that I would like to announce v1.00 Digital Release.

This game will be free, forever, and all money from the physical copies donated.

Of course, until the art of the game is done for a physical release, updates might occur, and I will keep posting then here.

The biggest change is that I discover that I could put all my game logic on the vblank. I reduced the overscan to 5 lines only, vblank to 35 and the game fill almost the entire screen, gaining precious vertical space that really improved gameplay.

But the game crucial area still runs inside Atari manual recommendations, meaning that the score top strip, and the player car are inside the 192 recommended lines. What is outside are the first blue lines and after the car.

I also want to ask the community: Can anyone please test my game on a real hardware? I want to be sure it still produces a valid signal... And if you do test, can you attach a picture or a short movie? I will make sure to put your name on the manual as a special thanks.

PS: if any of you want to sell an Atari, please send me a message ;)

hellway.asm_dbg_a7fcd33f.png

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Octavio Pinho Bokel said:

I also want to ask the community: Can anyone please test my game on a real hardware? I want to be sure it still produces a valid signal... And if you do test, can you attach a picture or a short movie? I will make sure to put your name on the manual as a special thanks.

Fun game! Stages 3+ start to turn into 'rushhour when you're in a hurry' due to the sheer number of cars on the road. ? Looking forward to playing it on an upcoming stream of ZeroPage Homebrew! Below is a video of me testing using a Harmony Encore on a RGB modded light-sixer.

- James

WATCH AT 60FPS FOR HIGHEST QUALITY!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Octavio Pinho Bokel said:

I don't have a 2600, so as close as I could get to that hardware was an NTSC 7800 running the game from a Concerto cartridge.  Worked perfectly, and managed a score of $03C3 before my reflexes gave out :D

IMG_20210215_200829.thumb.jpg.f9b40e136e341a00c0bf958ca08dc415.jpg

Plays really well on the system, and reminds me a lot of the Speedway! game the Odyssey2 came bundled with.  My only suggestion is to rename it 'Los Angeles Freeway Commute Simulator' ?

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Octavio Pinho Bokel said:

One more video, this time talking about all game options:

Hopfully the audio is better this time.

Looks amazing man! Thank you very much for not only making this but explaining all the modes. This is right up my alley!

One thing I wasn't totally clear about, at 15:09 and at the end of your video I hear something like a warning alert and it says CHPT! at the top, what is that warning us about? And why did the sides of the track turn red right at the end? Did I miss a gameplay tip? (very likely)

By the way your audio sounds fine on this one. :)

• Like 2

Hello mister CSF,

In the first video I try to explain this mechanics, and I recognize is a bit chaotic. The second video I just focused on explaining the game options and variations.

Every checkpoint (0x100) you receive more time, and the score and the car turn green. This will make you invincible for a few seconds. You will receive an audio alert just before it. So, with the heads up, you can accelerate to try to cross the checkpoint at maximum speed.

All details are in my git:

https://github.com/opbokel/hellway

The first video I talk about this. I tried to record the  audio track again, but I could not reproduce the true excitement I had when I first recorded, so I decided to keep it, even with the audio with a little distortion and the english less than stellar, I invite you to watch.

I also invite you to play my game, and I really appreciate you talking your time to hear me talking about it.

PS: It turns red just because you crossed the checkpoint, is the next stage / traffic level. CHPT! is checkpoint, but I use only half of the screen because I did not want to hide the other fields in such crucial moment.

Edited by Octavio Pinho Bokel
  • Like 1

ZeroPage Homebrew will be playing HELLWAY on tomorrow's (Tue Feb 23, 2021) stream LIVE on Twitch at 6PM PT | 9PM ET | 2AM GMT! Hope everyone can watch!

Games:

(SET VIDEO TO 1080P60 FOR FULL QUALITY)

Edited by ZeroPage Homebrew

On 1/27/2021 at 4:35 PM, splendidnut said:

Interestingly enough, this doesn't run in Stella... but it runs just fine on real hardware.

EDIT: Nevermind... I was in Developer mode... runs fine in Stella in Player mode

Developer mode will expose issues that can occur on some, but not all 2600s. These issues should be tracked down and fixed.  They're often a missing # in an immediate mode instruction such as using LDA $00 instead of LDA #$00.

As a developer @Octavio Pinho Bokel, should be using Developer mode.

• Like 1

Thanks for the last minute tests!

37 minutes ago, wongojack said:

NEAT!  I love these twitchy race games.  I've only tried it in the browser so far.  Does it work with paddle controllers on real hardware?

I did not implement it, I need a way to break and accelerate... If you have any suggestion how to make the game work with the paddle, please let me know.

• Like 1