IGNORED

Hellway, an Atari 2600 homebrew with love

• 3 weeks later...

Hellway I was nominated for this year Atari Homebrew Awards (Original <= 4KB) !!!!! ???

I played every submitted Atari 2600 game that had the binary in the official voting game package, and had some very amazing surprises... I will be going back for some of those games latter.

I was a honor to be nominated and also very glad that my game was released in the AtariAge store, this is already a personal victory!

For all the people that followed the game progress to this point (including also friends and family that are not part of AtariAge), a very special thank you!

See you all at February 12, 2022!

762678325_Atari2600Best4KHomebrew(Original).jpg.5bef6ed26426705f5dc169039186fecc.jpg

• Like 8

• 3 weeks later...

Hellway got in second place in the Homebrew Awards!

This post is to say thanks for all the people that voted in Hellway. It is not an easy game to pickup up and play and takes a while to get the mechanics. So I think that the people that voted, really got the time to play and appreciate the game.

I have some new projects coming for 2022, the first one is a 2 player version of Hellway. Still early in development, I just prototyped enough to prove that is doable. Still a log way to go.

The final goal is to have 2 players playing at the same time, each player with its on consistent view of the world (if you are in the same spot, the traffic lanes will look the same, if behind, the car sequence of each track will be the same that passed by your opponent). Both cars interacting, for example, crashing.

I want to do it without any additional hardware and with 4kb! I will try to push the very limits of this machine!

I made some research and I saw some Atari split screen games, but none where the players interact with each other, would Hellway 2 Players Edition be the first?

I will open a new post soon, and use it as my personal dev blog, also going deeper on the technical side. that you are more than welcome to follow. The code will be kept open!

hellway2pe.asm_1.png

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

I've started a thread to keep everyone updated on the production of all the new pre-order games, including Hellway.  I'm also posting photos as items arrive, such as the boxes, manuals, labels, posters, and other items once I've received them!  

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask!

..Al

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
AtariAge Day 2022
THIS SATURDAY, LIVE on ZeroPage Homebrew

Saturday, May 21st 2022
12PM PT/3PM ET/7PM GMT

Join us for this year's AtariAge Day hosted by @ZeroPage Homebrew on Saturday, May 21st starting at 12PM PT to see the latest homebrew games for the Atari 2600, Atari 5200, Atari 7800, and Atari Jaguar, as well as live interviews with the developers who created all these great games. Make sure you don't miss this huge event and mark it on your calendars! All the newest games in the AtariAge Store will be unboxed and played during the interviews with developers!

668769709_20220518-AtariAgeDay-Square-Hellway.thumb.jpg.f6866cd47eebb5dc57b7ca036e07668f.jpg

Releases & Interviews

Atari 2600:
  • Doggone It (2600) by Andrew Pauley @Armscar Coder
  • Escape from the Castle (2600) by Eduardo Vilarinho
  • Game of the Bear (2600) by Vladimir Zuniga @vhzc
  • Hellway (2600) by Octavio Pinho Bokel @Octavio Pinho Bokel
  • LadyBug Arcade (2600) by John Champeau @johnnywc
  • Mr. Yo-Yo (2600) by David Marli @DaveM
  • Pitkat (2600) by Marco Johannes (MarcoJ) and Dyfed Hitchings (Jamtex)
  • RobotWar 2684 (2600) by John Champeau @johnnywc
  • Soul of the Beast (2600) by Michael Christophersson/ΛERIF°RM @flame
  • Unholy (2600) by Leonardo Santiago @Leonardo Santiago
Atari 5200:
  • Intellidiscs (5200) by Ryan Witmer @Ryan Witmer
Atari 7800:
  • Danger Zone (7800) by Lewis Hill @Muddyfunster
  • Dragon's Descent (7800) by Todd Furmanski @Revontuli
  • Knight Guy in Low-Res World – Castle Days (7800) by Vladimir Zuniga @vhzc
  • Wizard's Dungeon (7800) by BydoEmpire @BydoEmpire
Atari Jaguar:
  • Dr. Typo Collection (Jaguar) by Dr. Typo @DrTypo
  • Gravitic Mines (Jaguar) by Lawrence Staveley @CyranoJ and and Ander Lex @agradeneu
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Dear @ZeroPage Homebrew crew,

Sincerely thanks for the opportunity and honor, to be live on your show during unbox day!

Bellow is the YouTube video, directly linked to Hellway part (Including @Leonardons interview).

I would like to extend my thanks to everyone that participated live that day!

Have a nice rest of your day!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Octavio Pinho Bokel said:

Dear @ZeroPage Homebrew crew,

Sincerely thanks for the opportunity and honor, to be live on your show during unbox day!

I would like to extend my thanks to everyone that participated live that day!

Have a nice rest of your day!

Thank you so much Octavio for coming on the show live during AtariAge Day 2022, it was great to talk to you in person on the stream!

- James

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Hello you all,

It has been a while.

After a lot of anxiety (in a god sense), I finally got my copy of Hellway (A couple months ago actually).

I really liked the quality AtariAge publishing, the quality is top tear and @Leonardons design was much more interested when printed and in 3d.

Since reports will come at the end of the year, I have no idea if I sold zero or one million copies :), but if you did get a copy, a review is welcome.

If you want to get a copy, here is the link:
https://atariage.com/store/index.php?l=product_detail&p=1250

As told on the first post, all money (my share and Leonardo's share) is going to be donated.

Have a very nice day.

Edited by Octavio Pinho Bokel
  • Like 6

• 1 year later...
Posted (edited)

Hello,

It has been a long time.

I would like to report that on July 20th 2023, Hellway has sold 23 copies. Each copy we made a 5 dollars profit. After converting to Reais, paying PayPal taxes etc, we got 526,54 Reais. Keep in mind that I made the game open source, maybe this has an effect on sales...

I am giving a fully disclose of the amounts since is very hard to find the information on the forums, and this might be a important decision before committing doing a lot of work. And also we were committed to donate that money, so we own a public disclosure.

For us was all about the Journey, I meet very cool people while doing the game, and a loving and embracing community. Even participate in an amazing web show called @ZeroPage Homebrew. Which I think its work is a pivot point for the community.

About the donation, done 17-08-2023, I will quote the words of @Leonardons:

We endorse, trust and support the work done by Isabel Correa in Cachoeira da Prata City in Minas Gerais (state). She is a Christian missionary who does informal work with people in need. 

She helps those people by bringing them to her own house until they are recovered and able to take care of themselves.

She doesn't receive any governmental support and all she does is based in love, receiving the financial support from friends and people that know her job! Her life journey is rich and towards making a difference in the world!

I don't know Isabel myself, but I know Leonardo very well. Donating to someone of trust, I think is a better guarantee of the money being better used, than a big organization with a lot of people involved.

About Isabel's work, if you want to know more, just contact @Leonardons.

Thanks for the Journey, and we will try to keep reporting about Hellway.

Edited by Octavio Pinho Bokel
  • Like 4