IGNORED

SkunkBoard: Collector's Edition (v5) - Ordering Thread [The List!]

cubanismo

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I was shipping a batch of these tonight, and I noticed USPS has significantly increased the price for international priority mail shipping. I've gone ahead and covered the cost increase for those already invoiced, but for all those who have ordered and have not yet received an invoice from me, and all future orders:

The new international shipping cost is $40 USD.

Apologies to those in other countries, but of course I can not control these costs. I'll try to be sure to include a note when notifying customers their board is ready in case they wish to cancel their order because of this, which is no problem. Anyone can cancel their order at any time for any reason until they've received and paid their invoice. I've also updated the first post to reflect this.

It is largely the same info, though rewritten and (IMHO) better organized, and with some additions for the new functionality on revision five. The manual is available as a PDF here:

https://github.com/cubanismo/skunk_pkg/raw/master/manual/releases/skunk_manual-1.0.pdf

All the other art assets for the collector's edition are also available in that github repository.

4 hours ago, cubanismo said:

I was shipping a batch of these tonight, and I noticed USPS has significantly increased the price for international priority mail shipping.

For what it’s worth, international first class weight limits are not at all the same as domestic. I don’t know if there’s another reason you’re using Priority but I got priced out of intl Priority about ten years ago ?

14 hours ago, cubanismo said:

@Albert, or other moderators, if one of you could allow me to edit the first post in this thread, I can update the shipping price quoted there as well to make it clearer for future viewers.

You should have edit rights now.

Mitch

• Thanks 1

On 3/24/2021 at 1:27 AM, cubanismo said:

I was shipping a batch of these tonight, and I noticed USPS has significantly increased the price for international priority mail shipping. I've gone ahead and covered the cost increase for those already invoiced, but for all those who have ordered and have not yet received an invoice from me, and all future orders:

The new international shipping cost is $40 USD.

Apologies to those in other countries, but of course I can not control these costs. I'll try to be sure to include a note when notifying customers their board is ready in case they wish to cancel their order because of this, which is no problem. Anyone can cancel their order at any time for any reason until they've received and paid their invoice. I've also updated the first post to reflect this.

Out of curiosity, what's the rate for UPS or FedEx for international? If USPS jacked their rates might be better off using another service that can ship faster for roughly the same cost..

That's a good point. In general, I prefer USPS because they have nice flat rates that are easy to quote, (as of recently) reliable free home pickup scheduling service, free packing materials, and I've gone through the trouble of learning to use their customs forms and stuff. However, if the difference is considerable, I'll look into switching. In the past when I've checked, UPS, FedEx, and DHL regular consumer prices have been prohibitively expensive though (E.g., nearly $100 to ship small packages to Western Europe).

On another note, I have even more bad news: There are going to be further delays in building more boards. The last batch of Cypress USB chips I got has a very high failure rate. Over 50% of them are not working so far out of the ~25 I've tried. Sometimes this has meant replacing the chip two or three times on a given board, which has greatly slowed my progress fulfilling orders. In the last batch of four boards, all four of them were broken on the first attempt and had to be reworked to replace the chip. On the plus side, I'm getting much better at desoldering them, but even so, I sometimes make mistakes (I still haven't outright killed a board yet, but I only sell ones with no cosmetic blemishes since I'm selling things as collector-quality items), and it takes about 50% longer at a minimum when I have to rework a board. Worst of all, it's very demoralizing. I build these boards as a means to relax and unwind at the end of the day, and honestly this makes it stressful and not fun. This is extra frustrating because the first batch of these I got from the same company was 100% good, and the two other chips I ordered from them in the same order (The flash and the CPLD chips) have been 100% good so far as well. Unfortunately, they claim they don't have any alternate suppliers for this chip at a reasonable price (They offered me some at $20/piece, which is over five times more expensive), so the best I can hope for is a partial refund there.

I've found another supplier (I think. I'll believe it when it ships) that has some at only twice the price as the originals, so hopefully I can continue making progress once those arrive, but that'll be at the whim of SpeedPAK, so it'll probably take a few weeks at least. In the meantime, I'll get some boards populated with most of the other chips that don't get in the way of soldering the Cypress chip down so the pipeline will be primed.

Apologies for the further delay. I'll provide more updates when I have them.

• Like 3