IGNORED

$30 , 80 col MIB hack

rietveld

Pi zero 80 col terminal https://imgur.com/a/Iip0zTm

I love the new MIB board but hate having to turn on my laptop or pc and tethering it to the Adam.  My solution was to buy a Pi zero from Amazon and install Linux Ubuntu and the Linux build of h19 terminal emulator.

I put the pi inside the Adam near slot 1 and have it powered from a usb wall plug in my powerbar.  Pi boots up right away when I turn the adam on.  I connected the Pi to the HDMI on the monitor I use with my Adam.  Now I can switch between 30 col Composite and 80 col HDMI using the single display.

Since the Pi zero has wifi and I am running Ubuntu I have the added bonus of using it as a Telnet and email server also.  Now i can surf the net, read and write my daily emails right from the Adam without a PC

Edited by rietveld
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, NIAD said:

So the Pi Zero is connected to the MIB238 via a USB-to-Serial Cable?

Yes

Pi is using a usb (pi side) to db25 (MIB side) prolific serial cable that is connected to the serial port 2 on the MIB238 . 

Then the HDMI (video out) on the pi is connected to my RCA monitor . The Adam is also connected to the same RCA monitor using the DIN out to Composite in.  I select the INPUT to COMP for all 30 col adam programs then select HDMI on the INPUT when I am using any 80 col programs.

That way i only need one monitor on my Adam

The MIB238 serial port 1 is connected to a wifi modem but since I am running Linux Ubuntu on the Pi it is acting as a Telenet server . I just load AdamLink V and coinnect  the wifi modem to the Pi using  my homes IP.  This allows me to use the Adam and itls keyboard as a 'Terminal'.

Thats how I can surf the web and use email on the Adam in real time

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi @rietveld I've been trying to get a similar setup working with my ADAM & MIB238 but so far haven't been able to get any 80-column output. I'm thinking maybe it has something to do with my cabling setup. I have the ribbon cable (by John Lundy) going from the MIB238 Terminal pins to a 25pin -> 9pin adapter. Connected to that I have a 9pin serial to usb cable which is then connected to the Pi Zero. Here are the parts I'm using:

The 9-pin to USB serial cable is using the Prolific chipset and the Pi is detecting it at /dev/ttyUSB0 but I'm just not getting anything appearing in the H19 terminal window. Could you give me any hints or maybe link me to the exact cable setup you're using?

The cable setup is fine.  Make sure that Johns cable is attached to the second header on the MIB.  It is marked 'TERMINAL'

Now plug the usb of the serial cable into your pi and wait a minute for linux to see it.

Not type               dmesg          

You should see a few lines telling you that linux found a new USB device.  It should say     ...   Product: USB-Serial Controller

Manufacturer: Prolific Technology Inc

pl2303 converter detected

pl2303 convertor now attached to ttyUSB0

Type              lsusb      

You will see a list of the USB devices.  Just look for your usb to serial convertor.

Now you need to load the USB serial module

sudo modprobe usbserial vendor=018a product=3754          (use the vendor and product number from the above step)

Type            sudo dmesg | grep ttyUSB             and you should see that your cable is detected and now its registered    

usbcore: registered new interface driver usbserial_generic

• Thanks 1

Thanks @rietveld for your detailed help! I followed your instructions and the Pi did respond in the expected way through all of it however I'm still not getting any output from the ADAM. I also tried screen /dev/ttyUSB0 just to see if anything would come through on the device but nothing shows up. Attaching a screenshot of the output from dmesg:

IMG_3643.jpg

1 hour ago, joltguy said:

Thanks @rietveld for your detailed help! I followed your instructions and the Pi did respond in the expected way through all of it however I'm still not getting any output from the ADAM. I also tried screen /dev/ttyUSB0 just to see if anything would come through on the device but nothing shows up. Attaching a screenshot of the output from dmesg:

IMG_3643.jpg

it looks like everything is working on the linux Pi side.   Can you hook your wifi modem to the second header( Terminal) and config the adam link v to use the second port on the MIB .  This way you can verify that the port is working and is able to send data out to the Tx

Edited by rietveld

Another option is to plug your setup into a Win7 (i dont think win 10 will work) PC .  Win 7 will allready have the serial drivers installed.  Just open Device Manager and see which COM port is assigned to the USB Serial device and open H89 or Putty using that Com port and 8 N 1.  This way you will know if the MIB  is sending out a Tx 

3 hours ago, rietveld said:

it looks like everything is working on the linux Pi side.   Can you hook your wifi modem to the second header( Terminal) and config the adam link v to use the second port on the MIB .  This way you can verify that the port is working and is able to send data out to the Tx

That was a great suggestion! I did exactly that. The good news is that I know what the problem is. The bad news is that it appears that my Terminal header is indeed faulty. :sad:

After hooking the modem up to the Terminal pins and setting up ADAMLink V accordingly (MIB2 2), I can no longer use the wifi modem. Trying to type anything like AT commands just results in random characters on screen. See the attached screenshots.

JPEG image-5F1E4E85AC4C-1.jpeg

JPEG image-5F1E4E85AC4C-2.jpeg

If you are connecting a modem (DCE standard) to the Terminal Port (DTE standard) of any MIB (2, 3, 238), wouldn’t you need a null-modem adapter or cable?

Also, what about connecting the MIB238 Terminal Port to a PC’s USB   or Serial Port (if it has one). Didn’t you already do this a while ago and have success with H19 or Putty on the PC side and T-DOS on the Adam side?

Edited by NIAD

1 hour ago, NIAD said:

If you are connecting a modem (DCE standard) to the Terminal Port (DTE standard) of any MIB (2, 3, 238), wouldn’t you need a null-modem adapter or cable?

Also, what about connecting the MIB238 Terminal Port to a PC’s USB   or Serial Port (if it has one). Didn’t you already do this a while ago and have success with H19 or Putty on the PC side and T-DOS on the Adam side?

Good point about the ports and the adapter/cable. I hadn't thought about that.

But no, I personally haven't had any previous success using the Terminal port and hooking up to anything.

23 minutes ago, Tekman said:

You can’t simply connect the modem as is to the terminal port and just change the MIB settings. The modem and terminal ports are wired differently for the specific task. Like NIAD said, would need an adapter to do it.

Thanks for the info. Yeah, this is where I'm showing my ignorance because in my mind I was just thinking a serial port is a serial port is a serial port. I didn't realize they are wired uniquely for their specific purposes. Back in my PC/DOS days COM1: was the same as COM2: save for the addresses and IRQs. 

Anyway that probably explains the garbled text when connecting the modem to the Terminal port.

13 minutes ago, joltguy said:

Thanks for the info. Yeah, this is where I'm showing my ignorance because in my mind I was just thinking a serial port is a serial port is a serial port. I didn't realize they are wired uniquely for their specific purposes. Back in my PC/DOS days COM1: was the same as COM2: save for the addresses and IRQs. 

Anyway that probably explains the garbled text when connecting the modem to the Terminal port.

So if you have a spare db9 or db25 cable just cut the Rx and Tx lines , and join them in reverse , then you will have your NULL cable

Your Linux box setup is bang on, and I assume that you built the h89 terminal and it opens properly .Like I said you can try the exact setup on  a windows machine but from your picture I can see that Linux sees the USB to serial adapter and it is giving it a COM port number.  The Com number will stay static as long as you dont plug another USB device into your Linux  box.  If you are attaching a Keyboard or mouse via USB Linux might be re assigning the serial adapter to the next available Com

Edited by rietveld

A pi 0 can not run Windows because it is using an ARM6 cpu. But a pi2 or greater (using ARM 7) can run Windows. Not full Win10 but a stripped down version called windows 10 LotCore. this version of Win10 is free from Microsoft

This may be an option for you depending on what Pi you are using.

48 minutes ago, rietveld said:

Your Linux box setup is bang on, and I assume that you built the h89 terminal and it opens properly .Like I said you can try the exact setup on  a windows machine but from your picture I can see that Linux sees the USB to serial adapter and it is giving it a COM port number.  The Com number will stay static as long as you dont plug another USB device into your Linux  box.  If you are attaching a Keyboard or mouse via USB Linux might be re assigning the serial adapter to the next available Com

I actually have an old ThinkPad that I'm going to install Windows 7 on and see what comes of that. FWIW the H19 terminal program I am using on my Raspberry Pi Zero W is h19term.

17 minutes ago, joltguy said:

Gave it a try with on the ThinkPad with PuTTY running under Windows 7 and the Prolific drivers installed and the adapter assigned to COM4.

Still no luck... PuTTY window stays blank.

what program are you using on the Adam to generate the 80 COL