IGNORED

How do I edit the fruit sprites in Pac-Man for the Atari 5200/Atari XE?

I'm now trying to create a Pac-Man hack based on the 1982 Atari game released for the Atari 5200/Atari XL/XE. However, I don't need help with the ghosts and Pac-Man characters since they are visible in the sprite data in the BitHacker program. When making the graphics, I thought: since Pac-Man's fruits graphics for this port aren't that "arcade perfect" I should edit them. I searched all over the room, but it's not visible to me. Can anyone show me how to edit the fruit sprites? Sorry for the question. I'm still at the beginning of making ROM hacks of games and editing the graphics.

The fruit in Pacman would be characters (2 ajoining?) - from the 8K Rom version at least it seems the game uses a character set based at $3000 probably due to elements being animated/modified dynamically.

I would say the fruit is probably copied into the character definitions per level since there's a fair variety and you never get more than 1 type on a level.  So it could live anywhere within the Rom space and not necessarily based on an 8 byte alignment.

To find it, probably just a tool or program to be able to explore the Rom as if it was a bunch of character sets would be sufficient.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rybags said:

The fruit in Pacman would be characters (2 ajoining?) - from the 8K Rom version at least it seems the game uses a character set based at $3000 probably due to elements being animated/modified dynamically.

I would say the fruit is probably copied into the character definitions per level since there's a fair variety and you never get more than 1 type on a level.  So it could live anywhere within the Rom space and not necessarily based on an 8 byte alignment.

To find it, probably just a tool or program to be able to explore the Rom as if it was a bunch of character sets would be sufficient.

Thanks for the tip! I also saw you developed Moon Cresta for the VBXE.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 1/29/2021 at 1:36 PM, MrFish said:

Pac-Man arcade was a modified version of Atari's Ms. Pac-Man, not Atari 8K Pac-Man.

Correct.  The only exception was the code for the sound of pac eating the ghosts, which I lifted from the 8bit version. 

• Thanks 1