IGNORED

Ninja Kombat 2600 work in progress update!

freshbrood

After a long time of tinkering off and on with this project I think I finally have the core engine working smoothly! 

Currently there is no sound, stage transitions, fatalities or game over screen- but it's comming!

It will be one or two players. I find it easier to implement 2p mode first, when all those bugs are worked out I will then create an a.i. 

This is still very rough, and even with a "perfected" engine there are still a lot of timing and spacing tweaks needed. 

Youtube updates comming soon!

Edited by freshbrood
  • Like 8

Let me be the first to say how impressed I am. I'm a huge mortal kombat fan in spite of how much I suck playing it. You've hit a lot of areas that made me smile while playing it. Great attention to detail and would love to see this one completed. Keep up the amazing work.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

Moves:

(+ means together)

( , means immediately after)

Punch : Toward+fire

Throw : Toward+Fire (Close)

Low Kick : Fire

Knee : Fire (Close)

High Kick : Fire, Up

Roundhouse : Fire, Back

Uppercut : Down+Fire

Crouch Punch : Down+Forward+Fire

Sweep : Back+Fire

Jump Kicks : Fire in air

Jump Punches : Fire+Down in air

Blocking : Back (If hit while standing)

Couch Block : Down+Back

Edited by freshbrood

Moves:
(+ means together)
( , means immediately after)

Punch : Toward+fire
Throw : Toward+Fire (Close)
Low Kick : Fire
Knee : Fire (Close)
High Kick : Fire+Up
Roundhouse : Fire, Back
High Kick : Fire, Up
Uppercut : Down+Fire
Crouch Punch : Down+Forward+Fire
Sweep : Back+Fire

Blocking : Back (If hit while standing)
Couch Block : Down+Back
Thanks for the move list, I was trying to figure them out.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

Thanks Prizrak! It's been a labor of love and passion project for a long time now. I literally only learned bbasic to prove all the naysayers wrong who kept saying MK would be impossible on the VCS. I had the idea in my mind before I even knew how to code and learned basic exclusively to create this. 

I'm curious specifically what areas I hit on that made you smile? That's exactly the feedback I like to get.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Probably in the next few weeks. Was optimizing code to fit in all the final graphics and now the game is more or less complete, I just need to put it all together. Working on fatalities then going back to finish the specials, with constant tweaking in between. Hopefully a soundtrack is coming soon too.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
On 1/28/2021 at 7:25 PM, freshbrood said:

Thanks Prizrak! It's been a labor of love and passion project for a long time now. I literally only learned bbasic to prove all the naysayers wrong who kept saying MK would be impossible on the VCS. I had the idea in my mind before I even knew how to code and learned basic exclusively to create this. 

I'm curious specifically what areas I hit on that made you smile? That's exactly the feedback I like to get.

You're a f@#$%!n legend.

• Thanks 1

Played it finally last night....... this is impressive. It actually resembles the original game more than just in passing and the way everything controls  feels really good.

This and Mega Man are 2 games I want to see get full 2600 releases.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So my laptop got destroyed and then my last family member that I was close to passed away, so it delayed things.. But I've still been chipping away and making great progress. 

I also haven't been that organized so let me state that so far there have been (2) version releases. I am going to start labeling them. 

The first version, .01 had the "Ninja Kombat" title screen, no collisions and some working projectiles. 

The second version, the one above, v.02 has the "Ninja Kombat" screen replaced with the dragon logo, projectiles disabled but collisions added. 

The third as of yet unreleased version, .03, will have a couple new sprites for Raiden (standing idle and walking) with a new color pallete. Possibly some chiptunes for the char select beat, and currently I am re writing the entire projectile subroutine to be more optimized. 

Originally I thought that when blocking projectiles, they all lost the same heath, but the numbers vary greatly and part of my delay is I am a perfectionist, and while some limitations can't be overcome, this will be as close to the arcade as you can get on the 2600.

NOTE: I may release v.03a and v.03b; the difference being blood splatter. 

I am experimenting with some tricks, and while it won't be showers of blood- I have managed to get a little bit of splatter on hits. It looks great in 80% of frames. 

But being the 2600 there are trade offs, some of which being other frames have really corrupted colors (jump punches especially) and you can see the red blood color bleed into the top of low block, high kick and the forearm on uppercut.

So when I am done in the next week or so I will put out both, and your feedback will determine if some blood splatter with corrupted frame colors looks better than no blood splatter mostly correct frame colors. 

Raiden's hat will turn square on action frames, and he holds both hands lower in his new pose. It's the best I can make him look and the new update will be his final version.

Edited by freshbrood
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Projectiles will NOT pass through btw. The moment they impact they disappear. 

The moment your character is impacted their projectile will disappear.

For example: You cannot get hit while freezing the opponent. Only one or the other happens. Whoever hits first.

There will be no double ko's either. 

This is a limitation of the Atari. I am experimenting with balance such as having projectiles disappear a bit sooner once a certain distance behind the enemy in order to make the gameplay a bit more frenetic.

• Like 1

I'm always working on it here and there, even if I don't update for a while. Memory is limited but I insist on squeezing the entire core game in. Other than frames the only major compromise so far gameplay wise is "Gman" will no longer punch or grab & pound, because the sprites look way too awful quad stretched, so I opted for a "Khan like" shoulder smash forward and verticle, but much shorter. And he still has his classic jump & stomp, fireball, & maybe a backwards stomp that stuns and hurts you if standing close on the ground. Not sure yet. Shang may morph back on hit instead of timer, (saves variable memory) etc.. but not massive changes.

Edited by freshbrood
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
On 8/11/2021 at 6:08 PM, freshbrood said:

Projectiles will NOT pass through btw. The moment they impact they disappear. 

The moment your character is impacted their projectile will disappear.

For example: You cannot get hit while freezing the opponent. Only one or the other happens. Whoever hits first.

There will be no double ko's either. 

This is a limitation of the Atari. I am experimenting with balance such as having projectiles disappear a bit sooner once a certain distance behind the enemy in order to make the gameplay a bit more frenetic.

My quote above is no longer valid. I hated the way the gameplay felt.. so much of the delay has been me re writing the entire projectile routine- which is a unique engine in itself. Initially projectiles vanished on impact- but it felt so wrong on bosses like Goro vs Sub0 or even Sub vs anyone else. 

The new re write allows projectiles to trail for an extra few tenths of a second now, which completely changes the balance of the game. 

Just an fyi.

Edited by freshbrood
  • Like 3