IGNORED

Adam only runs while reset is held

Skyler

This is a bit of a followup to a post I already made about a power supply I was working on. Anyway I was able to get the adam to run by just running my own wires to the db9 connector instead of using a serial cable. I now have the problem that the thing only runs if I hold down one of the reset switches and even then the picture is noisy, and the channel 3/4 switch seems to do nothing. If anyone knows what's going on here let me know please. I want my desk space back

That's a new one on me. Is this issue occurring when you are using the new power supply and if so, do you have an ADAM printer that you can use to power the system? If so, hook up the beast and see what happens.... if the same issue occurs, then we have eliminated the new power supply as a possible culprit. If the issue persists, perhaps the Computer Reset switch which is contained on a small PCB with 2 wires running to the ADAM PCB needs to be cleaned or there is a bad solder joint.

If all else fails and no one else chimes in on here, I recommend posting this to the Coleco ADAM Facebook group seeing as there are some very knowledgeable people over there.

Did you go by this image floating around the net? It’s incorrect!

This picture incorrectly shows ADAMnet Data or ADAMnet Reset (I would have to look closer to remember which one) wired directly to +5. The black wire should NOT be wired to +5. In fact, the bottom brown and black wires should be left unconnected unless you still need the ADAMnet signal from the DB9 connector to still use the original ADAM printer, which now only needs GND, Reset, and Data.

The picture also fails to show the top two green wires (white on some consoles) are both ground from the power supply.

The rest of the image is correct. I’ll post the correct schematic for you to go by.

If you're using the popular RT-50A power supply, connect the following:

RT-50A                      ADAM DB9

+5                             Pin 3

COM (GND)               Pin 5 and Pin 8

+V2 (+12V)               Pin 1 and Pin 2

V3 (-5V)                    Pin 4

incorrect.jpg

correct.jpg

Edited by Tekman

54 minutes ago, Tekman said:

Did you go by this image floating around the net? It’s incorrect!

This picture incorrectly shows ADAMnet Data or ADAMnet Reset (I would have to look closer to remember which one) wired directly to +5. The black wire should NOT be wired to +5. In fact, the bottom brown and black wires should be left unconnected unless you still need the ADAMnet signal from the DB9 connector to still use the original ADAM printer, which now only needs GND, Reset, and Data.

The picture also fails to show the top two green wires (white on some consoles) are both ground from the power supply.

The rest of the image is correct. I’ll post the correct schematic for you to go by.

If you're using the popular RT-50A power supply, connect the following:

RT-50A                      ADAM DB9

+5                             Pin 3

COM (GND)               Pin 5 and Pin 8

+V2 (+12V)               Pin 1 and Pin 2

V3 (-5V)                    Pin 4

incorrect.jpg

correct.jpg

Was following a different one, and the only thing I didn't do was connect pin 8 to common. The psu im using is a mean well rq-50b. Some video on YouTube i saw recommended it, although that's not what they used in the video. Should also mention that after messing around with... somthing I was able to get a slight picture out of the thing while running without holding Reset, however there is still alot of noise coming from the speaker of the TV when its like this. Holding reset still seems to make it run fine though.

Edited by Skyler

The RQ-50B doesn’t have the best +12V specs, but should probably still work. It also has a -12V terminal that isn’t needed. In the future, the RT-50A is the best choice.

What is your +5V set to under load?

Do you have everything removed from the console while testing? Remove any internal expansion cards, disconnect all ADAMnet devices, including the keyboard, and disconnect any DDP drives.

Strange, holding reset should give you absolutely nothing at all and never boot up. I’m having trouble wrapping my head around that one.

1 hour ago, Tekman said:

Strange, holding reset should give you absolutely nothing at all and never boot up. I’m having trouble wrapping my head around that one.

Yep, engaging and holding these reset SLIDE switches (Computer and Cartridge) should keep the ADAM in a state of limbo until they are released.

He never answered if he has an ADAM Printer to connect to the system to provide power to see what the result would be especially concerning the reset switches. What would also be nice to know is whether he has a Stand-Alone Memory Console or the Exp. Mod. #3 Memory Console?

4 hours ago, Tekman said:

The RQ-50B doesn’t have the best +12V specs, but should probably still work. It also has a -12V terminal that isn’t needed. In the future, the RT-50A is the best choice.

What is your +5V set to under load?

Do you have everything removed from the console while testing? Remove any internal expansion cards, disconnect all ADAMnet devices, including the keyboard, and disconnect any DDP drives.

About 4.93v don't have a printer to test with.

Edited by Skyler

4 hours ago, NIAD said:

Yep, engaging and holding these reset SLIDE switches (Computer and Cartridge) should keep the ADAM in a state of limbo until they are released.

He never answered if he has an ADAM Printer to connect to the system to provide power to see what the result would be especially concerning the reset switches. What would also be nice to know is whether he has a Stand-Alone Memory Console or the Exp. Mod. #3 Memory Console?

Stand alone. I don't have anything connected right now.

3 hours ago, Tekman said:

All I can suggest is to triple check your power supply pinout with what I posted earlier. To go any further with this, you will need to post detailed pictures and the connection diagram you’re using.

This is the wiring I found from another form post on here. I've repeatedly checked to make sure its correct. Is there maybe some test points on the board I could also check?

Pin 1 +12v

Pin 2 +12v

Pin 3 +5v

Pin 4 -5v

Pin 5 Ground

IGMAVR11.gif

You should also run an additional separate wire from Pin-8 to COM of the power supply as well. This is especially true it you have a fairly thin gauge wiring and having four supply lines with only one ground is not good.

Did you check your +5V under load at the power supply or ADAM Gamma board? The power supply potentiometer needs to be adjusted while reading the voltage off the console Gamma board.

I seem to remember you saying you were using a modified serial cable and the wiring is more than likely not adequate enough to power the ADAM to start with and I would image you’re seeing a decent drop in voltage in the cable from the power supply by the time it reaches the console.

This is the best advice I can offer with what is given to work with.