IGNORED

Atarimania News / Updates

Announcing something BIG!

Just a few weeks ago, there was a unique opportunity to acquire a gigantic amount of software in Texas. Actually, scrap that, motherload would be a better definition! Lots and lots of programs, ultra rare titles both as originals and copies, you name it!

The price was a bit crazy but Franck, the founder of our site and a huge collector himself, decided to jump in. The packages just arrived today and the best part is that the "Howling Houston Haul" will be made available on Atarimania soon. In other words, expect MANY scans and dumps in the coming weeks, including a truckload of one-of-a-kind, unseen titles!

There are a number of people who we'd like to thank and the enterprise would've been impossible without them:

• @warerat for picking up the lot and taking the time to carefully pack all the items and ship the collection to Europe

• our friends of the Atari Software Preservation Initiative - @abbotkinneydude, @advfan, @Allan, @Atarigrub, @DjayBee, @Farb, @ijor, @luckybuck, @Savetz - who provided financial support and will be of great help to get the best dumps (as always)

Again, remember that archival efforts are mostly in your hands. PLEASE transfer all your old Atari disks - copies or originals - and make them available on AtariAge or get in touch with either the Atari Software Preservation Initiative or Atarimania if you think you have something of value.

Stay tuned for updates!

--

Atarimania Team

• Like 23
  • Thanks 11

Thanks for trusting me to be your hands and eyes on the other side of the world to get this to you.  Once I started unpacking and sorting through things to strategize how to best pack everything, it became apparent how special and one-of-a-kind this collection is.  This was/is a substantial investment in software.  I saw many titles I recognized but this was dwarfed by many more I didn't (some of them new in original shrink wrap, completely unaware they were now in the 21st century), as well as an extravaganza of cassettes.  It was truly like stepping into a time machine and being transported back to that golden era.  There are some real gems in this lot.

On a comical note, this shipment of four boxes made quite a commotion at the UPS store.  Apparently the clerk normally only deals with small domestic packages and packing up cable modems to ship back to their providers.  This was the most expensive international shipment that he had ever handled and was affirmed with gasps of astonishment and curiosity from the other patrons behind me at the total cost (this weighed a little over 160 lbs) and the contents of these boxes that would warrant such an expense.  While working my way through the stack of customs forms and singing away, it was reminiscent of applying for a large loan.  The best was the amusingly sardonic exchange with the clerk that went something like this through out this long process:

UPS Clerk: OK, I need to know... No. Sorry.  CUSTOMS needs to know what is in these boxes

Me: Old computer stuff

UPS Clerk: Old computers?  They don't have old computers in France?!?

Me: This is a special collection that is 30-40 years old.

UPS Clerk: No idea why someone would want to use a computer that old today, but we will make sure it gets to France; sign and initial here.

Lesson learned: If you're shipping something UPS, especially internationally, beware of using their website to estimate the cost.  I had exact dimensions and weight and it still provided a rather under-valued total when done in person.  :)

• Like 18
  • Thanks 4

Not part of the collection but here are some interesting items we added these past days...

The Queen's Footsteps

Brand new text adventure by Davide Bucci converted from other systems, please visit his website at http://davbucci.chez-alice.fr/index.php?argument=varie/queen/queen.inc if you want to encourage him with other ports.

Picture Parts

Scans of the box for this Roklan prototype courtesy of Dutchman2000 (for the Apple ][ but the Atari version would've been the same).

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, www.atarimania.com said:

@tjlazer I really don't know what's happening, it seems there are problems all the time. I'll let our webmaster Franck know about the issue.

I sure hope you have mirrors and back ups of the site... as the problems mount you definitely don't want to to start over and the information gets messed up in one way or another. I have directed numbers of people there for the many resources you keep tucked away on AtariMania

1 hour ago, www.atarimania.com said:

BTW, it seems all the issues with the registration process, e-mails, password system and such have finally been resolved. Please let us know if you're still experiencing difficulties or seeing annoying things. 

Site still not accepting my sign in information.

1552556516_Screenshot2021-02-12085901.thumb.jpg.8568e657453355b2a4c19bc45d3fb299.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

To make things entirely clear, registration allows you to use My Atarimania for your collection and that's all. For contributions, just click on "400 800 XL XE" on the main page then "Contact" at the very bottom, that e-mail address works perfectly fine.

We should have some dumps of unseen stuff within the next ten days or so. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1