IGNORED

With all the added new sections, none for handhelds?

Tanooki

I was curious about it.  I know we have a few dedicated threads and it gets discussed by people too, yet there's a gaming one that got added during that wave without a single item.  Would anyone here think it would be a good add for a handheld section?  I don't just mean Gameboy though I image a lot of it could bend there, but you have the Lynx, Turbo Express/PCE GT/LT, Game Gear, Tiger stuff, Bandai, you name it.  It could be a fun space to dig into stuff or am I on my own on this?

• Like 1

As a handhelds-first person I would love to have a dedicated space. The generic Classic and Modern Consoles forums don’t exactly seem like the most comfortable home for discussing handheld systems. Of course Lynx has its own forum already, Nomad is Genesis, and TurboExpress is TG16...

8 hours ago, jgkspsx said:

As a handhelds-first person I would love to have a dedicated space. The generic Classic and Modern Consoles forums don’t exactly seem like the most comfortable home for discussing handheld systems. Of course Lynx has its own forum already, Nomad is Genesis, and TurboExpress is TG16...

That was kind of my thinking, and as I wrote it very specifically thinking of some comment about complaining, I didn't word it as such.  Just like the Neo Geo thread that's nearly a one man show with a few supporting characters, Gameboy has one solitary thread to which is something, but the others they have nothing so I was just thinking why not roll it up all into one handheld space.  Whether you're into segmented LCD, earlier red LED stuff, Gameboy, Tiger R-Zone or Game.com, weird japanese handhelds, whatever, it just would be a nice place to have.  It would be easier to discuss, share reviews, info, anything.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

Whether you're into segmented LCD, earlier red LED stuff, Gameboy, Tiger R-Zone or Game.com, weird japanese handhelds, whatever, it just would be a nice place to have.  It would be easier to discuss, share reviews, info, anything.

Don't forget homebrewing.  :)

• Like 1

Definitely homebrewing.  There is some insane stuff that is out there now in the last 5 years or less, or upcoming this year that should be able to get highlighted.

A personal favorite I wish I could get put on a cart since it's freeware --- uCity, GBC only cart it's Sim City Classic with the little perks the SNES game came with including the map generator, has 3 save spaces too.  The game is stunning.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have a gameboy, psp and neo geo pocket on standby most of the time, I do have a game gear too, it just needs the usual repairs. 

I think it'll always have a slightly different slant to discussions and interested people, because it can be played on the go. Although modern technology has been challenging that, I feel more comfortable going out with my neo geo than I would an expensive and cumbersome switch. 

It also comes with the benefit of (where available) link cables for Multiplayer on the go. Legacy Multiplayer at planned events is a very different experience than say a traditional retro event. For one, most people can bring their own gear! 

• Like 2

One down side to giving things their own space is that it makes it much easier for things like hombrew to fly under the radar of anybody who doesn't come in here and click on all the sections.  I'm pretty sure I've missed out on genesis and DC homebrew just by forgetting that they have their own areas.

Not that there's tons of handheld homebrew news in classic gaming--for whatever reason it's just not something that comes up in discussion here.

I wonder if I could just subscribe to a 'homebrew' tag or something.

Edited by Reaperman

I like the homebrew tag idea that would be nice.  And I can't speak for Sega, SNK or Sony, but there has been as of recent a strong push in the homebrew circles with the old 8bit gameboy with some really serious contender releases for quality on levels you could have seen in a box back in the day as they're not amateurish in the least bit.  One that just popped out is survival horror like game called deadeus https://izma.itch.io/deadeus and it's fairly surprising.  Another is this RPG called Dragonborne https://spacebot-interactive.itch.io/dragonborne-adventure-rpg-gameboy which also recently before that one went up for sale and is shipping now.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, jgkspsx said:

I just got my copy of Dragonborne. I do wish more indie developers would seek out proofreaders... a lot of people would be willing to do it...

Are you enjoying it?  I was on the fence about it talking with the guy on social media.  I just didn't know if it was one I could easily end up going in circles with getting lost without a map and no faq to fall back on as I don't have the time to waste on that but it looks fun.