IGNORED

What a time to be alive!

jerseystyle

I was just thinking this morning about how awesome it is to be a gamer right now. I’ve got my PS4 and Switch, both with tons of new and classic games, just got done playing California Games on Evercade, PS5 is out, we’ve got the Playdate and Amico coming... I mean talk about an embarrassment of riches! 

I reflect on myself as a kid, browsing through the game aisle at Toys R Us and seeing all this stuff I’d never get to play (we had a 2600 and my bros and I could buy a new game every few months).  It’s just amazing how far we’ve come and how much is at our fingertips now. Good times!

• Like 4

Eh sometimes too much is a problem too.  I think that the pace stuff really arrived around the 1986-1996 period was really more than enough.  Solid pacing, solid choices, good options all about, and it still gave you time to reflect, enjoy and revisit game without being blown away with the distraction level overkill of now.  Also back then piracy was almost impossible, good for select few, so that whole added tier of just ripping stuff with emulators and Pi garbage wasn't a choice.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I think with the more pronounced indie games and the powerful and straight forward tools that allow their development certainly makes the more recent pretty great. PC gaming is back to being great, as long as you use GOG. VR is more accessable and has very creative implementations, something I want to get into the near future.

The Dreamcast, PS2, Xbox, and GameCube generation might be what I personally consider the last great one. There was just enough balance between creativity and budget. That was also back when Rockstar Games released things more frequently but still polished and Konami was good.

The earlier generation stuff had starting to go up a bit in recent years because of the vile "nerd culture", but there are some nice deals once in awhile. For instance I got a non powering, complete in box Japanese Model 1 Sega Saturn for $59 from a US seller. I repaired it just by recapping the power supply, which is more rewarding than those "learn to solder" dice kits. 

• Like 4

On 1/30/2021 at 12:02 PM, jerseystyle said:

I was just thinking this morning about how awesome it is to be a gamer right now. I’ve got my PS4 and Switch, both with tons of new and classic games, just got done playing California Games on Evercade, PS5 is out, we’ve got the Playdate and Amico coming... I mean talk about an embarrassment of riches! 

I reflect on myself as a kid, browsing through the game aisle at Toys R Us and seeing all this stuff I’d never get to play (we had a 2600 and my bros and I could buy a new game every few months).  It’s just amazing how far we’ve come and how much is at our fingertips now. Good times!

The Switch has taken its place as the best console I've ever had.  One system gets you access to something good from nearly every console ever made.

• Like 3

Hard to argue against either of those last two posts.  Xeno there is right, there is something rewarding around the asinine nerd culture trolls who cause price problems, when you can get other peoples beat up and so called broken crap and fix it for a little extra coin to make something magnificent to use or sell to another to enjoy too.  It's what I've been up to through much of last year with Gameboy family stuff and it's fun, rewarding.  I enjoy getting a deal on the systems, either direct, or due to them having some stellar titles where I can keep a few I may need/want, and sell the rest to make the handheld and hopefully the restorative parts free (or grossly reduced) too.

And yeah, Switch...what other system, and I do mean un-hacked is out there where you can thanks to that eshop or its own releases on card, where you can enjoy so many generations of their own library and others in one place?  You really can't, at least OEM, perhaps Gameboy Advance was the most before that through the Gamecube Player giving you GB, SGB, GBC, GBA and GC games all in one.  Switch has so much going on with their own new games, or the WiiU losses finally being properly bought and enjoyed, then you get the generations of games from NES, SNES, Gameboy line, DS line, Playstation stuff (like FF9 etc), and even the PS2 and PS3 era games as well (Dark Souls Remastered, Skyrim, etc.)  To hate on the Switch at this rate is to either be: a graphics technophile type snob, anti-Nintendo, or just really don't like games much at all because the totality of the choices there to not find anything to validate buying one you'd really really have to try hard to, or lie and not try at all.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/31/2021 at 2:38 PM, Tanooki said:

And yeah, Switch...what other system, and I do mean un-hacked is out there where you can thanks to that eshop or its own releases on card, where you can enjoy so many generations of their own library and others in one place? 

I've been on the fence about getting a Switch.  I'd be mostly interested in playing the older games on it which would me using the eshop a lot.  I'm somewhat hesitant in that there doesn't seem to be a way to back up the game files, so if Nintendo pulls the plug on the service, you could be out of luck. 

Then again, that can happen with lots of other services, so maybe I shouldn't be too concerned.

Either way, the switch seems like a neat system.

27 minutes ago, PixelStuff said:

I've been on the fence about getting a Switch.  I'd be mostly interested in playing the older games on it which would me using the eshop a lot.  I'm somewhat hesitant in that there doesn't seem to be a way to back up the game files, so if Nintendo pulls the plug on the service, you could be out of luck. 

Then again, that can happen with lots of other services, so maybe I shouldn't be too concerned.

Either way, the switch seems like a neat system.

Probably shouldn't.  The only backup they do currently is through the $20/yr cloud service that has all those thrown in free NES/SNES games to play on/off line(it checks in like once a week or two to make sure your sub is active.)  There is another, asinine as can be, but calling them if you have a fail, they can brute force the data off the system if its mailed in (as far as saves go) the rest is already on the network so it's not that far off from the others with removable hard drives.

It's worth it, even if you don't want to blow $100 more for the full blown one with the TV dock, the handheld at $200 is well priced given the opportunities there.

On 2/11/2021 at 10:13 AM, Tanooki said:

Probably shouldn't.  The only backup they do currently is through the $20/yr cloud service that has all those thrown in free NES/SNES games to play on/off line(it checks in like once a week or two to make sure your sub is active.)  There is another, asinine as can be, but calling them if you have a fail, they can brute force the data off the system if its mailed in (as far as saves go) the rest is already on the network so it's not that far off from the others with removable hard drives.

It's worth it, even if you don't want to blow $100 more for the full blown one with the TV dock, the handheld at $200 is well priced given the opportunities there.

Thanks for the info!

The $20 a year is more than reasonable for what you get. 

Plus I haven't played a new Nintendo title in a long time, so would be good to see what's new.

3 hours ago, PixelStuff said:

Thanks for the info!

The $20 a year is more than reasonable for what you get. 

Plus I haven't played a new Nintendo title in a long time, so would be good to see what's new.

No problem, be advised there is a short list that doesn't use the cloud, but seemingly in most cases it's the heavily online based stuff to try and block out people doing cheats and hacks to ruin it for others. The notable one are the pokemon games.