IGNORED

HSC18 Round 2: BLUE MAX

3 hours ago, doctorclu said:

Ok, gravity is now my friend.  :D

I find it keeps letting me down :grin: Plenty more where that came from :roll:

I like the (re)learing phase when you dive into a game ;-)

1570 bombed while sat on runway :dunce:

2430 Air Cadet Class 3 (got to the 2nd stage) ?

Sticking with my QuickJoy II Turbo - like an old slipper, riding a bike, ruder analogy censored :o :-D

1556779718_BlueMax.jpg.8568790659095d7d40af0dcba5b283e7.jpg

• Like 2

9,940!  Squadron Leader 2!

Finished the game.  Now to see if I can do it better/faster.

I'm thinking the city level must show up after hitting a certain number of "special" targets (The bridges/buildings with the white crosshairs, the blue flashing planes/vehicles.)  I'm going to try to pay better attention next time.

In one game, I got to the city with a score of around 5-6k...but got shot down.  In this run, I didn't get to the city until around 9k...but I know I missed a lot of those special targets.  Sometimes, they're impossible to hit.

Lastly, I don't know how I felt about bombing the school bus.  Kind of sick to put that in the game.  ?

BM 9940 SL 2.png

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Deteacher said:

Lastly, I don't know how I felt about bombing the school bus.

I read on Wikipedia that the first (?) school bus was constructed in 1915 and funding of school buses in the US took place in 1919. If Blue Max takes place during WW1, it means whoever put school buses on the road were true pioneers in the field, whether those are used to transport children or camouflage for enemy soldier transports.

• Like 2

Blue Max: 7,850 (Squadron Leader - Class 1)

20210131_223522.thumb.jpg.4c93f5c10c4be0d5ada9a8a037f71fe5.jpg

Don't forget - if you've never played this game before, you should definitely try bombing your own (friendly) hangar at least one time, just to see what happens. But... don't do it during a good run. ?

Also, a tip: if you're ever running out of fuel, climb as high as you can before it runs out. Once the fuel is at 0, you can descend, but not climb. I've coasted to a successful runway landing with dead engines at least once in my life...

Edited by graywest
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, carlsson said:

I read on Wikipedia that the first (?) school bus was constructed in 1915 and funding of school buses in the US took place in 1919. If Blue Max takes place during WW1, it means whoever put school buses on the road were true pioneers in the field, whether those are used to transport children or camouflage for enemy soldier transports.

Huh, that is interesting.   Luckily for us we are not used to school buses yet... historically speaking. 

14 hours ago, graywest said:

Don't forget - if you've never played this game before, you should definitely try bombing your own (friendly) hangar at least one time, just to see what happens. But... don't do it during a good run. ?

Also, a tip: if you're ever running out of fuel, climb as high as you can before it runs out. Once the fuel is at 0, you can descend, but not climb. I've coasted to a successful runway landing with dead engines at least once in my life...

All that is great advice.   I do like how in the game there is this rivalry that goes on between you and the other pilots.  You bomb their hangar, they bomb yours, a lot of fun.

And I have literally also glided onto the runway with no fuel.   Interestingly, if you are on the earlier passes at least and you haven't taken damage, generally you use less than 150 units of fuel, which means you can make two passes without refueling.

17 hours ago, spookt said:

1450. Gravity sucks!

20 hours ago, therealbountybob said:

I find it keeps letting me down :grin: Plenty more where that came from :roll:

No gentlemen, gravity keeps pulling you down.  ;)

16 hours ago, Deteacher said:

Lastly, I don't know how I felt about bombing the school bus.  Kind of sick to put that in the game.  ?

Hahah... make sense to hear this from "De'Teacher".   There were times I wondered if they would deduct points for civilians.    But this is war, not a police academy.   But I have thought of it, and MOST of the time tried to time bombing runs to hit the bridge after the bus passed.

Time for a covert night mission....

20210201_194831.thumb.jpg.0457bfeea058f2018283e6dc85b51d5f.jpg

• Like 3

No improvement from me but having fun crashing and exploding in lots of ways, including flying into air debris and watch out for this one:  I was getting cute with my landings, getting on the left edge - first screenshot you auto-crash when it's takeoff time, 2nd one is ok!1966139701_BMBad.jpg.e9e82270ec775e0eb3897b810f20ff9d.jpg950978364_BMGood.jpg.f7dc83171d8bbbddc1779cd32240e84b.jpg

Not hit enough critical targets to get past 2nd stage yet, maybe tomorrow :ponder:

• Like 3

12 hours ago, therealbountybob said:

No improvement from me but having fun crashing and exploding in lots of ways, including flying into air debris and watch out for this one:  I was getting cute with my landings, getting on the left edge - first screenshot you auto-crash when it's takeoff time, 2nd one is ok!1966139701_BMBad.jpg.e9e82270ec775e0eb3897b810f20ff9d.jpg950978364_BMGood.jpg.f7dc83171d8bbbddc1779cd32240e84b.jpg

Not hit enough critical targets to get past 2nd stage yet, maybe tomorrow :ponder:

I had that 'auto-crash' thing, I couldn't work out what had happened! I'd been landing over to one side to avoid being bombed whilst on the runway 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, skr said:

It´s not about playability. I just don´t like it. ;)

fair enough :cool:

hmm now there's a question for everone is there a game that you don't like, for me it's Castle Wolfenstein as I could never get it to do anyting apart from kill me and have to wait ages for it to reaload between goes ?