IGNORED

Atari jaguar PAL NTSC timing

Thomu

I've been searching the internet for an answer on this but no luck so far.

I know there's a timing difference with some consoles (Mega drive, Snes, Saturn, N64, Ps1 for example) due to different frequency oscillators between PAL and NTSC consoles resulting in the timing being slightely off when a PAL console is running in NTSC mode when compared to an NTSC console and vice versa. Is this also the case with the jaguar or are the frequency osccilators the same in PAL and NTSC jaguar consoles?

Indeed, but the frequency difference is tiny: 26.590906 MHz for NTSC models, 26.593900 MHz for PAL ones. So a switched console will have timings that are off by 0.01126%.

A more significant difference is the color encoding. Switched consoles keep their original subcarrier frequency and phase inversion setting, even when they're switched to the other mode. In other words, a PAL console switched to NTSC mode will in fact output 60 Hz PAL, not true NTSC. It may be an advantage or a annoyance depending on the TV/monitor/converter you're using (unless you're using the RGB output signal, in which case it doesn't matter).

Edited by Zerosquare

17 hours ago, Thomu said:

I'm using RGB and i live in PAL territory, but i'm swapping out most of my pal consoles for NTSC consoles because i just want that true ntsc experience :P (And who wants that green led when the red one is clearly cooler looking ??)

On the Jaguar though, there are more lines on the display, and so you're missing out on resolution with NTSC.
On some games this makes a difference!

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 1/31/2021 at 3:11 PM, Thomu said:

Thanks!

I'm using RGB and i live in PAL territory, but i'm swapping out most of my pal consoles for NTSC consoles because i just want that true ntsc experience :P (And who wants that green led when the red one is clearly cooler looking ??)

I just finished modding my NTSC Jag with a green power LED because I think that looks cooler...

One service states that 2D sidescrolling games will have a slight stutter on 60hz modified Jag consoles, particularly if you use it through an upscaler/linedoubler. That is typical of 50hz > 60hz console versions if you don't install a dual frequency oscillator. unfortunately nobody has programmed a DFO for the Jag yet. I have one installed is my PS1 and Saturn, very easy mod to do.

Edited by SparkTR